Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enabling Supercharging on salvage Tesla Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forgot about this thread...
For anyone who comes across, this has been discussed n answered in many other threads as well
Yes, unofficially u can enable SC/CCS (i have both). LayZ seem to be the only member here that i know of that can get it done remotely.
Officially Tesla started doing Salvage HV inspections a while back n re-enabling SC but its inconclusive if they do it on X...

I believe its also possible to change Gateway config with Offline Toolbox 2.1 (its offered on many sites for decent price) but i haven't tried it yet.
I haven't used V3 SC yet due to rumors referenced by VeryGreen... but will at some point later n update
V2s work just fine

Forgot about this thread...
For anyone who comes across, this has been discussed n answered in many other threads as well
Yes, unofficially u can enable SC/CCS (i have both). LayZ seem to be the only member here that i know of that can get it done remotely.
Officially Tesla started doing Salvage HV inspections a while back n re-enabling SC but its inconclusive if they do it on X...

I believe its also possible to change Gateway config with Offline Toolbox 2.1 (its offered on many sites for decent price) but i haven't tried it yet.
I haven't used V3 SC yet due to rumors referenced by VeryGreen... but will at some point later n update
V2s work just fine
How do I get in contact with LayZ? Tesla salvaged my model X by seeing pics of it only. We bought it and the title was clear. Went to use a sc one day and it didn’t work

How do I get in contact with LayZ? Tesla salvaged my model X by seeing pics of it only. We bought it and the title was clear. Went to use a sc one day and it didn’t work

we had ours for over five years where Tesla not only let us supercharge (over 200,000 miles) but also did a pile of warranty repairs - including two new drive units. moved to a new state and - poof - there goes our warranty (almost out anyway) and our supercharging. Spent over six months writing back and forth, eventually through our states attorney generals office, all to no avail. we thought of going to court, but decided our life was worth more than the hassle. and Tesla had finally started to offer the inspection for reinstatement of charging. We did that and have had no problems since.

DM him here on forum. U need something like 10+ posts to activate DM feature... (dumb i know.. i didn't make the rules...)

U could try going official route with HV inspection but there have been multiple reports that Tesla only does it for 3/S...

DM him here on forum. U need something like 10+ posts to activate DM feature... (dumb i know.. i didn't make the rules...)

U could try going official route with HV inspection but there have been multiple reports that Tesla only does it for 3/S...
Yeah we had a lengthy convo with Tesla over the app and eventually they stopped responding and closed the chat. Super super frustrating.

Hey guys.
Just a FYI for Model X and Y owners.
I have a 2017 Model X that is a rebuilt title.
I have the 2 part salvage inspection done by tesla.
First part, salvage title high voltage inspection which passed ($ 600). Process involves removing the battery and full inspection.
The second part, salvage title fast charging inspection, ($600) which also passed.
I then get a message from the service center,

“Salvage-Title Vehicle High Voltage Safety
Inspection - So this was your first part that passed, which allows any tesla dealer to work on your car. includes the body damage and high voltage safety, second part deals with charging which includes many things. We have gone thru the steps, and Tesla informs us that model Y and X are not open to supercharges yet for the second part of this inspection.”

So I am out 1200, passed all inspections and still can’t get supercharger enabled.

So just FYI,
Don’t waste your money or time if you have a salvage model X or Y.

If anyone knows any other ways, please let me know!

I doubt Tesla will disable any software already in the car, but you’re unlikely to get further updates. As for Supercharging, only Tesla can re-enable it. My limited understanding was that they offered a service - for a fee - to certify the car to allow Supercharging. No idea if that was or is a thing, but thought I had read it somewhere.

Ultimately, the answer to your questions is “you need to ask Tesla”.
They’ve act fully changed that they said they allow updates to the car on salvaged

Hello all, I have been researching about this problem I have
  • bought a 2017 model X used directly to a person
  • confirmed it has SC01 by logging into the account from the website and doing the "inspect website" thing
    • this means transferrable, lifetime free supercharging, correct?
  • still has old MCU1
  • transferred the car to new account we made
  • confirmed supercharging was working for free
  • the car had a blinking error saying to replace secondary battery? by this I mean, battery for the small indoor lights, blinkers, and stuff like that? Not the main battery to drive.
  • went to the official tesla repair shop to fix it
  • the car had way too many popups saying to update the software
    • we did update it
Today:
  • supercharging not working
  • realized car is a salvaged model
  • not want to risk $1200 to go for the "HV inspection" according to a reply above by @vic1991
  • people recommend contacting @LayZ to hack this? I cannot dm them because of not enough posts requirements?
  • are there any tesla hack shops in the orange county or LA area? anywhere is SoCal?
  • what can we do? is there a chance we can fix this? we paid a lot of money because it has unlimited transferable free supercharging....
  • please we are desperate!!

Reactions: LayZ
Hello all, I have been researching about this problem I have
  • bought a 2017 model X used directly to a person
  • confirmed it has SC01 by logging into the account from the website and doing the "inspect website" thing
    • this means transferrable, lifetime free supercharging, correct?
  • still has old MCU1
  • transferred the car to new account we made
  • confirmed supercharging was working for free
  • the car had a blinking error saying to replace secondary battery? by this I mean, battery for the small indoor lights, blinkers, and stuff like that? Not the main battery to drive.
  • went to the official tesla repair shop to fix it
  • the car had way too many popups saying to update the software
    • we did update it
Today:
  • supercharging not working
  • realized car is a salvaged model
  • not want to risk $1200 to go for the "HV inspection" according to a reply above by @vic1991
  • people recommend contacting @LayZ to hack this? I cannot dm them because of not enough posts requirements?
  • are there any tesla hack shops in the orange county or LA area? anywhere is SoCal?
  • what can we do? is there a chance we can fix this? we paid a lot of money because it has unlimited transferable free supercharging....
  • please we are desperate!!
SC01 will stay with a VIN, u won't lose it, Tesla just disabled a flag in the cars gateway (they do for all salvage ones)
Rumor above saying it might be possible for X so either wait a bit or do the hack
U actually not fully "wasting" HV inspection money cause they still need that done if u ever try to take ur car in to Tesla for any other HV work
U need something like ~10posts to be able to DM. LayZ might see ur tag n contact u. or just go around make some useless posts just to increase count ( i know dumb...)
Pretty sure plenty of shops in CA but i'm not from there so don't know
Try googling "EV repair", a lot of shops come up, call few of them, some may know the answer...

Also 2017 with SC01 is unicorn so consider urself very lucky :)
If u wanna sell it let me know ;)

Reactions: LayZ
SC01 will stay with a VIN, u won't lose it, Tesla just disabled a flag in the cars gateway (they do for all salvage ones)
Rumor above saying it might be possible for X so either wait a bit or do the hack
U actually not fully "wasting" HV inspection money cause they still need that done if u ever try to take ur car in to Tesla for any other HV work
U need something like ~10posts to be able to DM. LayZ might see ur tag n contact u. or just go around make some useless posts just to increase count ( i know dumb...)
Pretty sure plenty of shops in CA but i'm not from there so don't know
Try googling "EV repair", a lot of shops come up, call few of them, some may know the answer...

Also 2017 with SC01 is unicorn so consider urself very lucky :)
If u wanna sell it let me know ;)
wow, thank you so much for such a quick response!!

do you know around how much is the hack going for? is it safe? reputable? I will call around and see

if we pay tesla to upgrade to MCU2, can we still do the hack? or is that just out of the question?

plan 1: keep MCU1
  • scenario 1: "official"
    • pay tesla $1200 for "HV inspection" and hope they fix it
  • scenario 2: hack it
    • find a shop to hack it
    • wait for a response from @LayZ
    • how much is this in general?
plan 2: upgrade MCU2
    • pay tesla $2.5k~ to upgrade to MCU2
  • scenario 2: offical + hack it
    • pay tesls $2.5k~ to upgrade to MCU2
      • is there another way to upgrade? without involving tesla for cheaper?
    • find a shop to hack it or
    • how much is this in general? even more since it has MCU2?
is plan 2, scenario 2 even doable?

if we are able to fix this and get the supercharging going on, we'll keep it.. if not I'll have to sell it...

do you know around how much is the hack going for? is it safe? reputable? I will call around and see

if we pay tesla to upgrade to MCU2, can we still do the hack? or is that just out of the question?

• find a shop to hack it

if we are able to fix this and get the supercharging going on, we'll keep it.. if not I'll have to sell it...
MCU1 is def doable n easy, MCU2 is very hard i hear, ie very few ppl can do it n i think actual physical access needed
I think rooting (what this hack is) is anywhere in $500 range, i paid a bit more but i did CCS as well. Prices of course might have gone up...
I have SC/CCS enabled n supercharged about 7 times on V2, haven't tried V3s yet (there was a scare back in a day that they can permanently disable SC)

There was a thread on here about DYI MCU1>2 but i think its not possible anymore to write ur data to MCU2 anymore unless those few hackers can do...
Also, upgrade to MCU2 should be 1750 i think...

I think u can also change gateway config with full Toolbox 2.1 which is floating around for sale on ebay/forums (requires factory mode)
I have it but haven't used it yet to verify... only works on MCU1 and i think i've read they completely removed factory mode in 2022.8.10.8?.. (replaced it with Service+ mode, aka TB3 only)

MCU1 is def doable n easy, MCU2 is very hard i hear, ie very few ppl can do it n i think actual physical access needed
I think rooting (what this hack is) is anywhere in $500 range, i paid a bit more but i did CCS as well. Prices of course might have gone up...
I have SC/CCS enabled n supercharged about 7 times on V2, haven't tried V3s yet (there was a scare back in a day that they can permanently disable SC)

There was a thread on here about DYI MCU1>2 but i think its not possible anymore to write ur data to MCU2 anymore unless those few hackers can do...
Also, upgrade to MCU2 should be 1750 i think...

I think u can also change gateway config with full Toolbox 2.1 which is floating around for sale on ebay/forums (requires factory mode)
I have it but haven't used it yet to verify... only works on MCU1 and i think i've read they completely removed factory mode in 2022.8.10.8?.. (replaced it with Service+ mode, aka TB3 only)
Hey guys,
Got my Tesla X today.
Supercharger enabled.
Tesla changed their prices for Tesla X inspection.
So there was some prices adjustments.
Here are my total expenses.
Salvage Title High voltage inspection $597.31
Fast charging safety inspection $341.25.

I was about to go with @LayZ but with going that route, wouldn’t be able to update software, if I wanted to get mcu2, would need to still get all these inspections done.

Also resale value will definitely be higher going the tesla official way.

Also Tesla S are starting to be unlocked next week.

Just FYI, they found a 30mm crack in my strut tower and wanted me to pay 3k for them to glue and put a 3x3” sheet metal over it.

All tesla repair info can be found on their website and repair oem parts can be bought online.
I ended up doing the repair myself for a fraction of that quote and tesla approved it.

Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: buckets0fun

• find a shop to hack it

Wanted to add that if tesla has not done the salvage tesla inspection on your vehicle, they won’t touch anything that is electronic.

You don’t be able to upgrade to MCU2 without doing the inspection.

If you want tesla to work on your vehicle, you need the tesla salvage inspection.

Also I don’t think it’s 2.5 for the mcu2 I thought they sent me a quote for 1500-1750?
I maybe be wrong though.