Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enclosing NEMA 14-50 outlet, how far does the charger plug stick out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since it's outdoors and I want to protect it while making it look decent I want to enclose the plug in a box like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UPANU...oC&pd_rd_r=7KMR328QCASFPYHPW5P6&pd_rd_w=z8CrM

The outlet would stick out a little over 2" and this box is just under 5" so I need to know if the plug will fit with the door shut. I plan on drilling a hole in the bottom for the wire to come out while the entire plug is enclosed in this box. I'm thinking I might need to upgrade to this box but it's much larger.

https://www.amazon.com/BUD-Industri...ts=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:2803810011

My plan is to paint it close to the house color and maybe add a tesla logo.

Since it's outdoors and I want to protect it while making it look decent I want to enclose the plug in a box like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UPANU...oC&pd_rd_r=7KMR328QCASFPYHPW5P6&pd_rd_w=z8CrM

The outlet would stick out a little over 2" and this box is just under 5" so I need to know if the plug will fit with the door shut. I plan on drilling a hole in the bottom for the wire to come out while the entire plug is enclosed in this box. I'm thinking I might need to upgrade to this box but it's much larger.

https://www.amazon.com/BUD-Industries-NBB-15243-Plastic-Outdoor/dp/B005T57OLY/ref=sr_1_22?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1524136937&sr=1-22&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:2803810011

My plan is to paint it close to the house color and maybe add a tesla logo.
I don't know the answer to your question, and can't get to my Mobile Connector to measure it right now, but wanted to make a couple of suggestions.

First, the Mobile Connector is not a charger. The charger is in the car. Picky, I know, but it can get confusing if you call something by the wrong name. The things are Mobile Connectors (formerly called a Universal Mobile connector, sometimes still abbreviated as UMC) and Wall Connectors (formerly called High Power Wall Connectors, usually still abbreviated as HPWC because WC would mean something totally different). They are both EVSEs (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment), as are the Level 2 public chargers.

As to your question, the Mobile Connector has changed recently, so the room required for the plug+ NEMA 14-50 adapter may have changed. You should probably indicate how new the car you are getting is, since the answer to your question may vary.

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
Thanks, Model 3, just ordered so I should have it in 6 weeks or so.

I'm trying to line up charging before it arrives, I like the wall connectors but I hate they can only charge Teslas. Our local power company even gives us 50% off so it would only be $250 but compared to just a plug which should cost <$100 and can charge any car it's still a hard sell.

Assuming it's the same as a Model S (and please note ours is a very early Model S, it may have changed) it's about 4 inches from the plane of the socket to where the cable hangs down. That's partly because the plug is actually a Tesla-specific plug with a NEMA adapter, so it's thicker than you might expect. I'd go to the service center and just ask to see one, explain why...

Or, my friend is getting his tomorrow, I can give you an update on the weekend.

I think that you may need to think a little further than just the box that covers the socket.
What about the end that plugs into the car? Where are you going to store it.
How are you mounting the socket? Against the wall? How are you going to secure it for when you unplug from the wall?

There's a lot of other boxes that may make a better solution, look at GE 50 Amp Temporary RV Power Outlet-U054P - The Home Depot

But if you are going to mount outside, you may want to make a little roof, so that all of the cords and plugs are a little protected.

The shop shows this picture,

MobileConnectorBundleGen2_1139373-00-A_0.jpg

Which if accurate is pretty flat so it should work.

I was just going to print a holder for the car end of the plug and mount it under the box to protect it. Now that I think about it though I probably want the mobile connector with me, I travel to our other house most weekends and it will probably be a pain to unplug and take it with me. I might as well just get the damn wall connector for home and keep the mobile one in the car.

The second gen Mobile connectors have plugs that stick out much less, so it would work for that, but the large part and cable probably won't fit in your box. Are you trying to get the entire mobile connector in the box?

That was the plan, not the cord but the nema plug and the telsa box thing. That's not as important as I mainly want to just protect the outlet. I could always attach the larger thing on the outside.

What about this one, seems pretty big.

81BRe1jyZSL._SL1500_.jpg

I also want a normal outlet in here too as I don't have one over on this side of the house. I'd run the appropriate wires in the conduit to do both.