Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End the Use of Front License Plates in Virginia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a bill introduced this year in Maryland (HB425) that would have excepted vehicles from the requirement to display a front plate if the vehicle was designed without a means to secure and display the front plate.

From the legislative fiscal report: "According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, 19 states, including Delaware, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia, allow one registration plate to be issued. The remaining 31 states and the District of Columbia require two plates."

The bill failed as did similar attempts in 2012 and 2013.

Lanny

There was a bill introduced this year in Maryland (HB425) that would have excepted vehicles from the requirement to display a front plate if the vehicle was designed without a means to secure and display the front plate.

From the legislative fiscal report: "According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, 19 states, including Delaware, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia, allow one registration plate to be issued. The remaining 31 states and the District of Columbia require two plates."

The bill failed as did similar attempts in 2012 and 2013.

Lanny

I signed this, but Lanny, wouldn't that still require a Tesla owner to have a plate in MD if it had passed? because they have a bracket that you can drill on to the front of your bumper if you choose to. What constitutes "designed without a means to secure and display the front plate"?

@chickensevil, I think the MD bill's language is a way to frame it so that cars like the classic nosecone Model S that would need an adapter to attach a plate would qualify for an exemption. I copied the file when I was in Annapolis recently and there were letters of opposition from law enforcement. It's an uphill battle.

@chickensevil, I think the MD bill's language is a way to frame it so that cars like the classic nosecone Model S that would need an adapter to attach a plate would qualify for an exemption. I copied the file when I was in Annapolis recently and there were letters of opposition from law enforcement. It's an uphill battle.

Huh, I looked it up, because I never actually bothered, and the only reason to keep them is it makes the state more money due to a better ability to issue fines for violating tolls, parking, and things like red light/stop sign cameras.

http://frontplate.org/blog/wp-conte...omparison_of_FrontVersusDualLicensePlates.pdf

This website (frontplate.org) also claims safety for broken down vehicles as you get reflections off the front plate (that sounds like BS to me), and of course law enforcement being able to catch a front plate instead of a rear plate, which I am not entirely buying either. But yeah, looks like based on the study above that you can't really use the revenue argument to try and get them pulled as having a front plate helps the state make money more than it does to lose it...

Disappointing...