Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enel X Juicebox 2 charger installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning on installing 2 Juicebox chargers considering all the tax incentives and rebates (PSE&G in New Jersey), the load sharing capability of Juicebox which will allow both chargers to be connected to the same circuit breaker, and slightly future proof considering that all (or almost all) EVs other than Tesla use the J1772 charger.

Has anyone else done the same? What electic company did u use and how much was the installation cost? Did you go with 32, 40, or 48 amps? Hardwired or Plug-in? What made you pick the specifications that you did?

I believe you will find that the NEC currently requires each electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) to be on its own circuit breaker. This is usually accomplished by installing a sub panel, i.e. 100 amp sub panel. Each EVSE would be wired into the sub panel with a 40/50/60 amp circuit, breaker. The load sharing enables one EVSE to charge at the maximum. When both EVSE are in use the second EVSE charges at less than maximum. Else you may be able to set the EVSEs to evenly split the load. In any case for a 100 amp sub panel the maximum combined load, when charging, cannot exceed 80 amps (80% of 100 amps.)

I believe you will find that the NEC currently requires each electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) to be on its own circuit breaker. This is usually accomplished by installing a sub panel, i.e. 100 amp sub panel. Each EVSE would be wired into the sub panel with a 40/50/60 amp circuit, breaker. The load sharing enables one EVSE to charge at the maximum. When both EVSE are in use the second EVSE charges at less than maximum. Else you may be able to set the EVSEs to evenly split the load. In any case for a 100 amp sub panel the maximum combined load, when charging, cannot exceed 80 amps (80% of 100 amps.)
Enel X seems to be an exception to the 1 EVSE per circuit breaker rule according to site.

Other sites also seem to confirm this, such as 2 32 amp chargers with load sharing on a single 40 amp circuit breaker.

I'll definitely have to check with an electrician but that's what I understood so far.

Enel X seems to be an exception to the 1 EVSE per circuit breaker rule according to site.

Other sites also seem to confirm this, such as 2 32 amp chargers with load sharing on a single 40 amp circuit breaker.

I'll definitely have to check with an electrician but that's what I understood so far.
The older Tesla Gen2 Wall Connector used a single breaker when load sharing. The Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector follows the rule that each EVSE be on its own circuit breaker including when load sharing. Up to 6 Tesla Gen3 Wall Connectors can be configured for load sharing.

Last edited:
Reactions: bdhaduk
I believe you will find that the NEC currently requires each electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) to be on its own circuit breaker.
No, not quite.
There is the main condition, and then the "except" condition. It says an EVSE must be on its own branch circuit unless it uses a load management system, which this does use that.

It's not that Enel X is an exception. It's just that this functionality of load sharing is written as the exception use case in the NEC.

The older Tesla Gen2 Wall Connector used a single breaker when load sharing. The Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector follows the rule that each EVSE be on its own circuit breaker including when load sharing.
But that's not because of an NEC requirement. That's because of the Gen3 wall connectors in a sharing configuration are allowed to all be set at different amp levels within the sharing network, so Tesla wants you to have each one breakered appropriately for how many amps it is set up to use.

I have two Juicebox 48 running a parallel system on a 60 amp circuit. I’m in central Nj and used Princeton Electric Makeover. They get all the necessary permit and give you and estimate of the job before hand. I’ve used them twice for both installs. See pics of the install . One in garage and 1 outside of garage.

Attachments

• 1C2A9B6C-AA94-4E17-B24D-86C7D9E7BE33.jpeg
    1C2A9B6C-AA94-4E17-B24D-86C7D9E7BE33.jpeg
    484.5 KB · Views: 252
  • 9CF70B23-3B7F-42DE-ABEB-C03E128918CF.jpeg
    9CF70B23-3B7F-42DE-ABEB-C03E128918CF.jpeg
    392.1 KB · Views: 87
I have two Juicebox 48 running a parallel system on a 60 amp circuit. I’m in central Nj and used Princeton Electric Makeover. They get all the necessary permit and give you and estimate of the job before hand. I’ve used them twice for both installs. See pics of the install . One in garage and 1 outside of garage.
This is really relieving to hear. How much did each install cost? And how far is your circuit breaker from your garage?

Did you already get them? The latest app release is a huge step backwards. The web portal is basically broken, and the app isn't much better. Scheduling still works, but usage stats exporting is broken. You can read reviews here: ‎Enel X Way

Can't comment on load sharing, but it's definitely not very smart anymore.
I haven't bought them yet so this is definitely making me reconsider. Really wish companies wouldn't be so dumb with their "upgrades" and "improvements" sometimes

This is really relieving to hear. How much did each install cost? And how far is your circuit breaker from your garage?
Circuit breaker is on other side to house ina. Finished basement, fist instal to the circuit breaker was about $2,300 + $715 for garage to outside with 30 plus feet for cable run. Also you can only qualify for 1 rebate per home and 2 rebate when you move to another residence in NJ. I’ll be taking my EV units if I leave the state.

I recently got plugin Juicebox 40 installed. Enelx wasn only charging to 6amps initially and I thought something is wrong with installation. I called Enelx customer service. I don't know if they did something from backend but told me to restart the app before I got disconnected with em. I started getting 40Amp and more than 40 miles charge per hour.

Now one issue I can't figure out is the plug. There is only a clip buttion on charger end that holds adapter to plug into my tesla but when I take out the charger adapter gets stuck in the charge port and I have to manually take it out. Tesla charger generally have a button that stops the charging and also opens the charge port when pressed. I am sure I am doing something wrong.

I recently got plugin Juicebox 40 installed. Enelx wasn only charging to 6amps initially and I thought something is wrong with installation. I called Enelx customer service. I don't know if they did something from backend but told me to restart the app before I got disconnected with em. I started getting 40Amp and more than 40 miles charge per hour.

Now one issue I can't figure out is the plug. There is only a clip buttion on charger end that holds adapter to plug into my tesla but when I take out the charger adapter gets stuck in the charge port and I have to manually take it out. Tesla charger generally have a button that stops the charging and also opens the charge port when pressed. I am sure I am doing something wrong.
Nice! I know the 6A charging is due to issues with the app since 6A is the default speed if the charger can't connect to the app/server. I've heard of a lot of issues with the Juicebox app and so I ultimately decided to get a Chargepoint Home Flex instead. Gonna be getting it hardwired for 48A so looking forward to that.

Try pressing and releasing (not holding) the trigger button on the Juicebox J1772 charging connector before removing the connectors. The Tesla J1772 adapter should pull out of the Tesla Model Y charge port, remain attached to the Juicebox J1772 charging connector. Then you can separate the Tesla adapter from the J1772 or leave it attached for the next time you charge.

Reactions: Sam Garrison
Try pressing and releasing (not holding) the trigger button on the Juicebox J1772 charging connector before removing the connectors. The Tesla J1772 adapter should pull out of the Tesla Model Y charge port, remain attached to the Juicebox J1772 charging connector. Then you can separate the Tesla adapter from the J1772 or leave it attached for the next time you charge.
And if you can't get that to work, then use your other hand to pull the adapter out along with the plug. Pressing the button on the J1772 does stop the charge and unlock the port, but if you leave the adapter behind, the car quickly locks back down on it.