Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Consumption in Drive/Hold vs. Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I noticed a small white dash on my energy consumption meter after switching from park to drive without pressing the accelerator or the car moving. This continued during my commute to work - switching to P resulted in no consumption, but shifting back to D caused the minor consumption to reappear as if my foot were lightly pressing the accelerator.

Is this measuring the amount of energy used from the car attempting to "creep"?
IMG_6099.jpg

I believe it's because the Hold function uses the motor to apply torque to the wheels to counter the gravity pulling the car forwards or backwards (assuming you're on a road with a non-zero grade).

Park uses the parking/emergency brake to hold the vehicle in place. No additional energy required once the pads are squeezed in.

I did a poor job explaining my situation - if I'm driving down a level road at 20mph and let off the accelerator, the car will regen to about 5mph at which point I must use the brakes to stop. This is displayed on the energy bar as green for regen and no bar (usage or regen) while braking.

Whats odd is I go from no energy usage/regen when braking from 5mph to 0mph, but as soon as the car stops I see a small amount if consumption on the energy bar. I used hold for the photo to emphasize the fact that the car is not moving. Switching to park results in the consumption bar going back to 0. It returns to minor consumption after changing back to Drive.

I agree with all of your remarks and suspected some of the same scenarios.

I interpreted the white bar to measure the accelerator pedal similar to a tachometer, not necessarily the entire car's instant usage.

I first noticed this when parking in my garage last night. When I went back out to take a second look the bar no longer existed when in Drive but not moving. After a quick ride around the garage the bar was back when in Drive but stationary.

When in Park, the car does not use the energy usage to calculate the Wh/mile metric. That is only updated when you are in Drive/Hold. Also, that energy bar is also only related to Drive/Hold usage.

This is it.

When in Park it’s likely still using the same power for cabin (and maybe battery) heating, but it just doesn’t show that power consumption in the bar because you’re in Park. Has nothing to do with creep.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: WATT TF and gavine