Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Provider Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For customer service alone I would recommend Octopus. I spent 4 months dealing with undelivered promises from my previous supplier when I asked them to fit smart meters, knowing that I would be getting an EV this year. I gave up, joined Octopus and within 3 weeks I had new smart meters and am currently on their Tracker tariff which is cheaper than the price cap (there is now a waiting list I believe).
I can’t comment on which tariff is right for you as my Tesla hasn’t arrived yet so I haven’t had chance to compare my usage against OI vs Tracker etc.
There are a couple of apps that are worth looking into, Octo-Aid and Octopus compare.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
Only you can answer that question as no-one else knows how much non-charging energy you use. Our very own @DaveW has created a website that makes it easier to see what is best for you.. Just be aware of the caveats at the bottom of the page:

Hello. At the moment I am with British Gas (33p/Kw). I dont drive a lot maybe 150 miles ‘week. My question is would I be wise to switch to Octopus or E-on

Thanks in advance Mark.
IO without a doubt.
With their minimum 6 hrs of 10ppkw, you get the washer, dryer ( take precautions) , dishwasher on between 23.30 and 05.30 and save over 22p versus a standard rate.

From your numbers if your monthly electric bill is more than about £150 a month then you are likely to save money on IO. The overnight charging is obviously cheaper, but the day rate is higher, so it depends on how much day rate you use which you didn't tell us.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
My average was 11.36ppkwhr inc vat. (See above)
We'll if we're playing that game :)
Screenshot_20230224-195330.png

(I got lucky renewing on Go Faster last year, I'll probably do IO too when my Go term ends in April, but depending on circumstances (e.g. low mileage/high household usage) I guess tracker may be better for some)

Hello. At the moment I am with British Gas (33p/Kw). I dont drive a lot maybe 150 miles ‘week. My question is would I be wise to switch to Octopus or E-on

Thanks in advance Mark.
If you can get your 30 minute meter readings into excel you can do a quick comparison. Identify any extra load you can shift into the IO cheap rate of 11:30 to 05:30 (like washing, dishwasher etc)

If your baseload is high, then the IO peak rate of 44p(ish) can be a killer when you don’t do lots of miles.

Definitely Octopus. They're getting my smart meter readings but haven't generated a bill for over six months. In 5 month's time that electricity becomes mine at zero cost. They're still able to apply the SEG to my account for solar export though, so who knows what's going on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely Octopus. They're getting my smart meter readings but haven't generated a bill for over six months. In 5 month's time that electricity becomes mine at zero cost. They're still able to apply the SEG to my account for solar export though, so who knows what's going on?
They are also getting both my smart meter readings but only billing me for gas. My saving sessions on electric are being monitored and credited properly. How does the electricity become yours in 5 months for zero cost ? Just asking for a friend!!

They are also getting both my smart meter readings but only billing me for gas. My saving sessions on electric are being monitored and credited properly. How does the electricity become yours in 5 months for zero cost ? Just asking for a friend!!
Energy providers are only allowed to bill you retrospectively up to a maximum of 12 months.

• Informative
Reactions: CWT3LR