Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Sector News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Overbuilding solar makes huge sense and will until battery storage gets well an order of magnitude cheaper.

Yet...batteries..they cometh

Partly it's just that bundling batteries has large incentives, but fundamentally PV just begs for co-located storage.
You either having a lot of clipping or an underutilized grid connection.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Partly it's just that bundling batteries has large incentives, but fundamentally PV just begs for co-located storage.
You either having a lot of clipping or an underutilized grid connection.
It's just that the value of PV generated electricity at 9am is sufficient to justify building a PV plant to supply that need, ditto 5pm, vs a battery at todays pricing. Maybe @petit_bateau will weigh in after his jaunt. I don't know just how far storage has to fall, quite a lot. Maybe it just can't fall enough to ever justify not massively overbuilding generating capacity.

This should lead to industrial applications taking advantage of intermittent but nearly free electricity.

Reactions: petit_bateau
It's just that the value of PV generated electricity at 9am is sufficient to justify building a PV plant to supply that need, ditto 5pm, vs a battery at todays pricing. Maybe @petit_bateau will weigh in after his jaunt. I don't know just how far storage has to fall, quite a lot. Maybe it just can't fall enough to ever justify not massively overbuilding generating capacity.

This should lead to industrial applications taking advantage of intermittent but nearly free electricity.

There are many use cases, so many different elements in a rounded analysis.

Your point about a fairly small amount of battery enabling a much fuller usage of an expensive grid connection is well made. You can see this at utility scale solar farms, for the export grid link. You can also see this when retiring old city-centre power stations, but this time it is cheaper to install a city centre battery rather than build a new (bigger) import grid connection. So same issue (of avoiding grid upgrade costs) arising in two very different use cases.

But overbuilding solar PV (or wind) rather than investing in storage can also be a sensible move. It all depends on the ratios of the different parameters as to which comes out ahead in any given context. No amount of overbuilding local solar will get London through the mid winter solar minimum, whereas overbuilding solar will do a lot of good in LA (in conjunction with much lesser amount of storage). So the real question at any given moment/place is what is the optimal four-way mix of wind-solar-grid-battery (plus any legacy nuclear, fossil, hydro, etc). It is always an interesting optimisation problem, and the answers can be context-specific (which politicians hate).

Not something I'll be looking at too closely for the next few months: other things take priority now.

But good to see that the penny is dropping more openly out there in the public debate.

I am struggling to get my head around these WoodMac numbers for stationary storage.

They expect global installs of approx 275 GWh/yr by 2031. In contrast I expect 4,005 GWh/yr installs in 2031. At least we seem to agree-ish on the situation now with them at 20 GWh/yr for 2021 and 30 GWh/yr in 2022, whereas I have 13.4 in 2021 and 30.8 GWh in 2022.

This is their key graph

1679825842808.png

and this is my equivalent

1679825950761.png

These are both on the same basis, i.e. all sectors (resi + utility + commercial), and global. So there is a factor of 10x or more difference between us.

And when I look at the growth rates that arise from my models and data we can see that the forecast I have is not unreasonable given historic growth rates, and given the arrival of LFP in the market (and perhaps sodium in the future).

1679826166040.png

I guess we'll find out who is more right.

With @petit_bateau kind permission, I am posting a private conversation I started with him.

For context, I am including the original question:

I follow your energy thread and figured you may have a source I could go to for the following:

I have a friend in the RCAF and he is half way through an exchange posting in Australia, he and his wife return to Canada in the summer of 2024.

They own a home (Frankford ON) that they will return to and want to install a backup power system for that home that is not a generator, but a battery with solar panels.

They asked me to do some research on this topic as I had a (12 year old) grid tied solar system on the house we just sold last year.

You seem to have deep knowledge regarding home solar/battery systems and was hoping you could steer me in the right direction as to a recommendation for research.

It sounds like you have enough experience that you could recommend something beyond “just get a Tesla Powerwall“ unless, of course, that is the best option.

I did tell them that I would expect the battery to be LFP, I hope that is a correct assumption.

And your (@petit_bateau) answer:

I'm happy to help although I'd need to contact all my old distributors etc to discuss any Canadian specifics as it is a while since I have updated myself on the Canada-specific availability of products. And to be honest that process of re-establishing contact with them could be lengthy as it has been ?? 7/8 years since I dealt with that group. Since then I was working in high voltage which is at the polar opposite end of the spectrum and a different group.

So let me give you a first starter, and as you see it will be appropriate to do nothing right now. Which is fine as their exchange tour has 12-18m to run.

I am assuming from what you write that they wish to be grid-tied with the ability to come off-grid when there is a grid supply failure.

The solar itself is easy, I assume they don't need their hand holding on that ? Ask if I am wrong.

This on/off grid functionality is fairly well built into the Tesla Powerwall for the US market, and I believe it is also functionality that is also provided for the Canada market. It is NOT functionality that is made available to most of the rest of the world, because Tesla has not gone through the necessary certification processes. There is huge demand in the rest of the world for that functionality, so why not go through the certification processes. The Tesla Powerwall runs on NMC/NCA batteries and I am 99% sure that Tesla will want to switch to LFP soon. For these two reasons that suggests to me that there is a Powerwall refresh (P5 ?) coming up and that Tesla may go on to obtain a fuller certification for the whole world subsequently. Switching to LFP ought to reduce costs (maybe also price) and is likely to be associated with a Powerwall factory refresh, which I suspect is sitting in the to-do pile behind getting Latrop ramped. And a factory refresh, plus switch to LFP, ought to make Tesla Powerwall supply increase massively. So it is worth waiting until closer to the time to see how/when/if the Tesla option is worth pursuing.

At the moment for the non-Tesla options, the only one that appears to have all of the functionality operating (that you want) out-of-the-box in a non-bespoke manner available widely to generic domestic users seems to be Huawei. They use LFP and have the modular approach that allows (from memory) 3kWh modules to be successively added to 12kWh frames, and multiple frames. This makes moving everything into position much easier than the SolarEdge 10kWh in one box strength test for two big men (me !). Also Huawei seem to have their on/off grid functionality working and available. In contrast SolarEdge are still in beta on that and have yet to release the relevant software to the wider market, even after about 18m of client beta testing. I am expecting that SolarEdge will solve whatever is holding them up over the course of 2023 and then that would be put three globally available first-division competitors in the market. And by then I would expect them all to have the three or four basic modes operating (minimise import; time-of-use import; on/off grid; play nicely to put excess into cars).

All else being equal, if at that point SE-Tesla-Huawei were all widely available in Canada in 2024, then I would at that time pick SE. This is because they can go with on-module optimisers and track constantly the overall health and performance of their system in real time, without being forced to buy a specific module solution. So they can select from the widest spread of modules in the marketplace, add the SE optimisers, and then SE inverters and battery.

There are a zillion other players in the market, and a new one every day. Having lived through a few of these cycles the real worry to my mind is whether one will get supported in 10-20 years time. It may be that in the next 12-18m a few of the other middle division players percolate to the top tier. And of course one should also listen to the opinions of the local installers, whilst also considering carefully to what extent they are truly knowledgeable and why they are motivated.

So long story short: wait and watch developments over the next 12-18 months.

Does that help ? Feel free to ask more.

I am struggling to get my head around these WoodMac numbers for stationary storage.

They expect global installs of approx 275 GWh/yr by 2031. In contrast I expect 4,005 GWh/yr installs in 2031. At least we seem to agree-ish on the situation now with them at 20 GWh/yr for 2021 and 30 GWh/yr in 2022, whereas I have 13.4 in 2021 and 30.8 GWh in 2022.

This is their key graph

View attachment 921495

and this is my equivalent

View attachment 921496

These are both on the same basis, i.e. all sectors (resi + utility + commercial), and global. So there is a factor of 10x or more difference between us.

And when I look at the growth rates that arise from my models and data we can see that the forecast I have is not unreasonable given historic growth rates, and given the arrival of LFP in the market (and perhaps sodium in the future).

View attachment 921497

I guess we'll find out who is more right.
It is indeed perplexing that anyone would pay for that drivel. It seems to me more of the dept of energy/deceit "forecasts" that constantly underestimates the volume of renewables and updates to show incredible growth history and then has it flat lining in the future.

There was a recent update by the USA Dept of energy that was refreshingly hopeful on renewables. I think you've got the basic growth track nailed, hopeful to see it materialize. If nothing else it means I made it to 2032 :D.

Further in addition to LFP there are some very interesting chemistries in late proof of concept phase such as the silicon anode battery factory being built in CO. That 500wh/kg is a huge inflection point for air travel. Small stuff but just more fuel on the fire that is a movement to renewables.

At that energy/weight point lots of things change.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
WTI $70/bbl
Brent $76 /bbl
NL TTF gas €42 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

The Porsche-Ferrari exemption enormous loophole

Germany doubling PV installs, for real

Global PV installs, corrected

Towards the 20MW units, with dual fuel methanol (so a different bet than Maersk is making on ammonia)

1.9GW wind hubs, the correct scale of ambition

Iraq regains control

But probably too late to make $$$ for Iraq

China big coal

US-China cable-fare
Greek rail woes

Last edited:
re that exemption: German auto industry is, I think, finally comprehending just how big a shift EVs vs ICE will be for industry. The parts simplification and other assembly enhancements mean huge shifts in capital and human resource deployment in germany, they stick heads in sand and pray it happens slowly. Frankly Germany is, to me, scary. The german auto sector could very well be a fraction of itself in 6 years. What then?

re that exemption: German auto industry is, I think, finally comprehending just how big a shift EVs vs ICE will be for industry. The parts simplification and other assembly enhancements mean huge shifts in capital and human resource deployment in germany, they stick heads in sand and pray it happens slowly. Frankly Germany is, to me, scary. The german auto sector could very well be a fraction of itself in 6 years. What then?
I think that Germany will be fine, though some individual manufacturers will not.

Let's look at the data : German auto production has already slid from 6m (2010) to 3.3m (2021).

1679938161430.png

The Tesla Brandenburg factory phase 1 is sized to do 500k/yr when the second line comes onstream, and I reckon that is conservative. The site footprint is much larger than the octagonal-tablet-shaped building footprint requires. When the tablet is fully built out over (say) 4 phases it would be 8 x 250k = 2m/yr. But the calcs that @jeewee3000 and I are mulling over (Near-future quarterly financial projections) suggest that each line could exceed 350k in 3-shift operation, or say 500k in 5-shift operation. Take into account excess acreage on that land grab and the fully built out plant could do 4m/yr. Clearly that would be with considerable further reduction in human hours/vehicle, but I'm sure we all know a few ways that is likely to happen.

So if VAG can manage to survive then Germany could even begin to grow. Whether Porsche and BMW survive is less obvious - they both have good GM% at the moment but for how much longer. I think we all know why VAG span out Porsche into that IPO before the BEV wedge hit too hard.

So yes this loophole is an utter con trick. But Germany ought to cope. Provided they get fully with the programme.

Last edited:
WTI $74/bbl
Brent $79 /bbl
NL TTF gas €43 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

China restocking season

US milestones falling, next up gas

US transmission wars

UK reality strikes

All your water is us (100m x 100km and counting)

UK and USA tooling up, but oops

Dinosaurs dream, USA

.... and Korea

Shingling

12GW lumps

The French BIPV dream

Battery developments
and

EU rail reality check

Balkan rail

Big rail dream going back to pre-WW1

Last edited:
WTI $74/bbl
Brent $79 /bbl
NL TTF gas €42 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

ZNPP woes

Ukraine grid damage

China-Saudi
and

Chinese nuclear juggernaut

Wake-up for US style net metering

US-IRA LG result

Czech-Poland-Ukraine rail

• Informative
Reactions: CorneliusXX
Update ref doing research for a solar backed whole home battery on behalf of some friends currently in Australia:

Today, I had a quick telephone call with the chap who did my solar PV and solar water heater systems over 12 years ago (my house that was sold last summer).

When asked about how much experience he has had with whole home batteries (modern lion type, not lead acid which he has much experience), he said he has done a few systems but everything came to a halt last year.

He said that the Ontario Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) issued some rule last year, essentially treating whole home lion batteries as a fire hazard and could only be installed in a separate building that had been constructed in accordance with a long list of ESA specifications.

He said that the ESA has also promulgated a “test” procedure that battery manufacturers could subject their products to, to essentially let the product be installed as intended (such as how Tesla Powerwalls are depicted in marketing materials).

AFAHK’s, no one has been given the ESA stamp of approval yet.

So, the 12-18 month wait and see advice that @petit_bateau gave is the best plan at this time for Ontario based whole home battery installations.

WTI $74/bbl
Brent $79 /bbl
NL TTF gas €43 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

Saudi-Iran ..... China

US grid : $2.5bn buys 3GW capacity over 385 miles on HVDC

Follow the (UK) money

UK emissions - 1000 pages of nonsense and horlicks about CCS

.... and more rich horlicks

Australia emissions
and

Turkish gas play

Net billing drives storage

Oil stalling

Floating solar at sea : I struggle to understand realworld economics
Floating PV system mysteriously washes up on Hong Kong beach

Japan hydrogen strategy - real experts should be demanding such a figment be abandoned

Talking blah blah

That Serbian rail corridor again

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: navguy12
WTI $74/bbl
Brent $79 /bbl
NL TTF gas €47 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

Finland in NATO

Responses to US-IRA start rolling in
- Canada

- EU again
and

- Germany specifically

- UK wanting

Chinese solar juggernaut

Brazil wind

Hydrogen trojan horse not welcome

Big numbers in play

Do you know if China has solved the solar farm grid connections issues they have had in the past? a few years ago huge renewable glut in the deserts west of Beijing but no grid reached the sites.
From where I was sitting at the time it was to an extent over-reported. It wasn't ever quite as bad as the spin.

However they were building grid as fast as they possibly could, and very much still are, to tie it all together much better.

(we made some of the key stuff in that grid, hence my going there quite a lot)

This is definitely an ongoing effort they have, which in my opinion is much better planned and executed than many others I have observed.

To an extent Beijing does not have all the provinces under control. So some of the provinces are (still) building coal plants that either will never run, or will only run by prematurely retiring perfectly satisfactory existing coal plant. There is also a lot of build of new coal to replace very dirty old coal plant; but there is additional new coal building going on that is well out of control and not (imho) iaw Beijing preferences. That is provincial loans to provincial buyers and provincial manufacturers and is ultimately Beijing underwritten. Manchin is not the only one playing the game.

Indeed, provincial debt is a whole other ball of wax as well. The grid here in the USA is in tremendous need of upgrades and the whole situation with TX will have tremendous pressure, economics are going to force renewable owners to need to ship electrons out of state. In fact, should be viable to not hook up to TX but just ship out of state. I digress.