Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Sector News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With @petit_bateau kind permission, I am posting a private conversation I started with him.

For context, I am including the original question:

I follow your energy thread and figured you may have a source I could go to for the following:

I have a friend in the RCAF and he is half way through an exchange posting in Australia, he and his wife return to Canada in the summer of 2024.

They own a home (Frankford ON) that they will return to and want to install a backup power system for that home that is not a generator, but a battery with solar panels.

They asked me to do some research on this topic as I had a (12 year old) grid tied solar system on the house we just sold last year.

You seem to have deep knowledge regarding home solar/battery systems and was hoping you could steer me in the right direction as to a recommendation for research.

It sounds like you have enough experience that you could recommend something beyond “just get a Tesla Powerwall“ unless, of course, that is the best option.

I did tell them that I would expect the battery to be LFP, I hope that is a correct assumption.

And your (@petit_bateau) answer:

I'm happy to help although I'd need to contact all my old distributors etc to discuss any Canadian specifics as it is a while since I have updated myself on the Canada-specific availability of products. And to be honest that process of re-establishing contact with them could be lengthy as it has been ?? 7/8 years since I dealt with that group. Since then I was working in high voltage which is at the polar opposite end of the spectrum and a different group.

So let me give you a first starter, and as you see it will be appropriate to do nothing right now. Which is fine as their exchange tour has 12-18m to run.

I am assuming from what you write that they wish to be grid-tied with the ability to come off-grid when there is a grid supply failure.

The solar itself is easy, I assume they don't need their hand holding on that ? Ask if I am wrong.

This on/off grid functionality is fairly well built into the Tesla Powerwall for the US market, and I believe it is also functionality that is also provided for the Canada market. It is NOT functionality that is made available to most of the rest of the world, because Tesla has not gone through the necessary certification processes. There is huge demand in the rest of the world for that functionality, so why not go through the certification processes. The Tesla Powerwall runs on NMC/NCA batteries and I am 99% sure that Tesla will want to switch to LFP soon. For these two reasons that suggests to me that there is a Powerwall refresh (P5 ?) coming up and that Tesla may go on to obtain a fuller certification for the whole world subsequently. Switching to LFP ought to reduce costs (maybe also price) and is likely to be associated with a Powerwall factory refresh, which I suspect is sitting in the to-do pile behind getting Latrop ramped. And a factory refresh, plus switch to LFP, ought to make Tesla Powerwall supply increase massively. So it is worth waiting until closer to the time to see how/when/if the Tesla option is worth pursuing.

At the moment for the non-Tesla options, the only one that appears to have all of the functionality operating (that you want) out-of-the-box in a non-bespoke manner available widely to generic domestic users seems to be Huawei. They use LFP and have the modular approach that allows (from memory) 3kWh modules to be successively added to 12kWh frames, and multiple frames. This makes moving everything into position much easier than the SolarEdge 10kWh in one box strength test for two big men (me !). Also Huawei seem to have their on/off grid functionality working and available. In contrast SolarEdge are still in beta on that and have yet to release the relevant software to the wider market, even after about 18m of client beta testing. I am expecting that SolarEdge will solve whatever is holding them up over the course of 2023 and then that would be put three globally available first-division competitors in the market. And by then I would expect them all to have the three or four basic modes operating (minimise import; time-of-use import; on/off grid; play nicely to put excess into cars).

All else being equal, if at that point SE-Tesla-Huawei were all widely available in Canada in 2024, then I would at that time pick SE. This is because they can go with on-module optimisers and track constantly the overall health and performance of their system in real time, without being forced to buy a specific module solution. So they can select from the widest spread of modules in the marketplace, add the SE optimisers, and then SE inverters and battery.

There are a zillion other players in the market, and a new one every day. Having lived through a few of these cycles the real worry to my mind is whether one will get supported in 10-20 years time. It may be that in the next 12-18m a few of the other middle division players percolate to the top tier. And of course one should also listen to the opinions of the local installers, whilst also considering carefully to what extent they are truly knowledgeable and why they are motivated.

So long story short: wait and watch developments over the next 12-18 months.

Does that help ? Feel free to ask more.
Look at FranklinWH. Very similar to a PowerWall. But a little better peak power and warranty and more flexibility. I have them installed as PowerWalls in our area are unobtainium.

WTI $74/bbl
Brent $79 /bbl
NL TTF gas €47 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

Finland in NATO

Responses to US-IRA start rolling in
- Canada

- EU again
and

- Germany specifically

- UK wanting

Chinese solar juggernaut

Brazil wind

Hydrogen trojan horse not welcome

Big numbers in play
The political climate in Canada is such that any right of centre party is essentially saying the wealth about to be spent on the Green economy should be spent in the oil patch (using carbon capture as code for business as usual).

Reactions: petit_bateau

More battery cometh news. I'd rank this as not good for Tesla. It puts cutting edge battery technology & capacity, at scale, in the hands of many chinese competitors as well as Ford. It also casts some doubt on the economic viability of the entire 4680 line. What say you battery mavens?

@mongo Stuck this here not sure your normally skim @petit_bateau cool thread or not.

More battery cometh news. I'd rank this as not good for Tesla. It puts cutting edge battery technology & capacity, at scale, in the hands of many chinese competitors as well as Ford. It also casts some doubt on the economic viability of the entire 4680 line. What say you battery mavens?

@mongo Stuck this here not sure your normally skim @petit_bateau cool thread or not.
It's a different pack design with same cells. Tesla already buys LFP packs from CATL and is reportedly in talks with them for a US based Tesla owned CATL tech battery plant.

I feel the premise of more cell/ battery supply being a major detriment to Tesla is misplaced in general.

WTI $80/bbl
Brent $85 /bbl
NL TTF gas €49 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

ROPEC+ pushes oil up

Russia dumps Brent for Dubai

Tesla Q1-2023 P&D out, seem fair to me

UK Con sussed as con
and

15MW floaters

Interest rates make a difference

Capex now falling

Bit awk if they said no

Capex now falling

By 2023, global module production capacity are set to exceed 800 GW per year, while global installations will likely stay above 300 GW. By 2027, module production capacity could exceed 1,000 GW per year, while installations should be near 500 GW.

That is

YearProduction Capacity GW/yr Installation GW/yr
2023>800>300
2027>1000~500

But we have to weather the current storm.

WTI $80/bbl
Brent $85 /bbl
NL TTF gas €47 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

Finland in

China CASD

US moves

ROPEC+ moves

The real problem for wind manufacturing is playing the last man standing game against infinite Chinese capital

Making nice

Ukraine now more integrated into Eurogrid
Small & late ?

Big grids, NAFTA

Big grids, UK

Only 11% up

Russian car buying

• Helpful
Reactions: navguy12
That is

YearProduction Capacity GW/yrInstallation GW/yr
2023>800>300
2027>1000~500

But we have to weather the current storm.

The 2022 global solar PV capacity additions (i.e. installations) appear to have been 228 - 268 GW, up from possibly 175 GW in 2021 (as you can see there are discrepancies in the datasets). :

Here is my collection of past annual capacity adds, and my own near-term forecast (5y) to put this in perspective. Note I assume stable trends in my forecasting.

1680620865879.png

The Chinese seem to have 80-90% of the PV manufacturing market in practice, and it it swings wildly in boom bust cycles. So not quite the orderly stability I use for my forecasting (this difference is because I don't have explicit feedback loops in my model, for simplicity, though I do have implicit ones to get the same ultimate outcome).

I've been noting these humungous Chinese production (manufacturing) capacity adds in the Daily Energy News. If you've been reading my clippings you'll have noticed they are at all stages of the production chain, right from raw silicon through to finished modules via wafers etc. so there has been a logical consistency to the announced capacity additions.

So there are three things that could happen in any combination:
- obsolete / uneconomic manufacturing capacity will get retired;
- aggregate manufacturing capacity will operate at a very low capacity factor (30%-50%);
- global installs will climb even more steeply, fed by a glut of cheap modules that have to find a market in order for the manufacturies to operate at above breakeven capacity factors.

My guess is that the third will predominate, i.e. a boom cycle in volume terms. In essence US-IRA will cause Chinese solar to swamp the rest of the world even more, driving even faster installs.

Just imho.

Frankly I do t get the sma product. Small and late and with that chemistry- doubtless expensive.

I was wondering the same, although it would make for an easier (cheaper) install and would appeal to those with space limitations. I also wondered about '8,000 *full charge* cycles. I don't think NMC comes anywhere near 8,000 cycles with a deep DoD of e.g 95 - 5 - 95. I'd like to think I am wrong, but details are missing.

I was wondering the same, although it would make for an easier (cheaper) install and would appeal to those with space limitations. I also wondered about '8,000 *full charge* cycles. I don't think NMC comes anywhere near 8,000 cycles with a deep DoD of e.g 95 - 5 - 95. I'd like to think I am wrong, but details are missing.
I too fail to understand the SMA logic here.

This is the same segment that Tesla discovered didn't really exist with the Powerpack. Any serious commercial user is really in Megapack land. If not better off strapping some Powerwalls together.

But I also think SMA lost their mojo a long time ago. And we were the UK's first SMA distributor !

Reactions: nativewolf
Between price pressure from Chinese companies and having their central inverter products hammered by the panel level shutdown requirements of home PV roof installs, SMA has been hammered and I don't know if they will survive, let alone flourish.

I hope so though, because I like the company. Are their new inverters with built-in battery storage connections generic ? That would be a step above these proprietary storage/inverter products. If the inverter requires SMA storage it is entering a crowded and ultimately dead-ended field

Between price pressure from Chinese companies and having their central inverter products hammered by the panel level shutdown requirements of home PV roof installs, SMA has been hammered and I don't know if they will survive, let alone flourish.

I hope so though, because I like the company. Are their new inverters with built-in battery storage connections generic ? That would be a step above these proprietary storage/inverter products. If the inverter requires SMA storage it is entering a crowded and ultimately dead-ended field
Are their panel shutdown requirements any worse than what Tesla deals with? Midstring cut out switches (or whatever they're called)?

Are their panel shutdown requirements any worse than what Tesla deals with? Midstring cut out switches (or whatever they're called)?

All PV installs on roofs over habitation require panel level shutdown (RPS), so I think the answer to your question is it is the same as what Tesla encounters with their central inverters. The difference here is not technical: Tesla sells turn-key PV installs while SMA sells inverters. Installers have gravitated towards Enphase and SolarEdge inverters because the RPS is already taken care of and they can upsell the product ("panel level MPPT !!" blah blah blah) and increase profits.

All PV installs on roofs over habitation require panel level shutdown (RPS), so I think the answer to your question is it is the same as what Tesla encounters with their central inverters. The difference here is not technical: Tesla sells turn-key PV installs while SMA sells inverters. Installers have gravitated towards Enphase and SolarEdge inverters because the RPS is already taken care of and they can upsell the product ("panel level MPPT !!" blah blah blah) and increase profits.
The panel level shutdown is a US thing. It doesn't exist as a requirement in most of the world. Nor the fireman's switch for the solar at/outside the door. So really this ought to only inhibit SMA sales to domestic clients in USA/Can.

That said SMA largely tried to pivot upscale to utility farms as well as shifting majority of production to China, both about a decade or so ago.

imho they struggle to differentiate themselves.

WTI $80/bbl
Brent $84 /bbl
NL TTF gas €45 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

These ROPEC cuts don't seem to have had that great an effect ......... is that what peak oil does to the market ?

1680704506443.png

Tesla Berlin expansion plans become clear
and

Dirty India

Iraqi power play

Hydrogen jam always coming tomorrow

Dual use rail

Single use shipping