Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

English Driver who used Auto Pilot from passenger seat sentenced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla owner who turned on car's autopilot then sat in passenger seat while travelling on the M1 banned from driving

I am trying to understand why someone would do this. Or why people use their laptops, etc., knowing full well this is not an autonomous vehicle.

I tire, also, of reading reports of people dying while misusing the equipment (Florida, California, Indianapolis). And people blaming the car for their mistakes (Florida, Montana, etc.; unintended acceleration, etc.).

I suppose none of it should come as a surprise. Coming from a military/civilian aviation background I had to know and understand the operation and limitations of the equipment. My guess is that 90% of people on the road don't even know how to use their cruise control and most probably have not read an owners manual. It would appear (from observing people on the road) that driving is a real challenge. Most people barely know the rules of the road (right-of-way, etc.). Throw in cell phones, makeup, newspapers, documents to distract and it becomes a circus. I would like to think Tesla owners are a bit more inquisitive and maybe these people are just outliers. Or maybe just a new people wanting to own the latest to keep up with friends/neighbors. But the wife of the MX driver in California was aware her husband had problems with autopilot in this location so why was it even engaged or why wasn't he prepared to take control? If there are known problem areas (a few around here; or construction barriers; or areas where it is not supposed to work, AP is off for me. It's a great, relaxing tool especially on long trips and when used in accordance with the guidelines. Otherwise, I feel sorry for the people with problems, but they bring great harm to themselves and the fledgling Tesla community.

But what can one do?

Tesla owner who turned on car's autopilot then sat in passenger seat while travelling on the M1 banned from driving

I am trying to understand why someone would do this. Or why people use their laptops, etc., knowing full well this is not an autonomous vehicle.

I tire, also, of reading reports of people dying while misusing the equipment (Florida, California, Indianapolis). And people blaming the car for their mistakes (Florida, Montana, etc.; unintended acceleration, etc.).

I suppose none of it should come as a surprise. Coming from a military/civilian aviation background I had to know and understand the operation and limitations of the equipment. My guess is that 90% of people on the road don't even know how to use their cruise control and most probably have not read an owners manual. It would appear (from observing people on the road) that driving is a real challenge. Most people barely know the rules of the road (right-of-way, etc.). Throw in cell phones, makeup, newspapers, documents to distract and it becomes a circus. I would like to think Tesla owners are a bit more inquisitive and maybe these people are just outliers. Or maybe just a new people wanting to own the latest to keep up with friends/neighbors. But the wife of the MX driver in California was aware her husband had problems with autopilot in this location so why was it even engaged or why wasn't he prepared to take control? If there are known problem areas (a few around here; or construction barriers; or areas where it is not supposed to work, AP is off for me. It's a great, relaxing tool especially on long trips and when used in accordance with the guidelines. Otherwise, I feel sorry for the people with problems, but they bring great harm to themselves and the fledgling Tesla community.

But what can one do?

Not much to understand. Just that really stupid people exist on this planet. It's that simple. Not everyone uses their head.