Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enlightening review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny enough, I am brand new to the EV world (bought my first Tesla a month ago) but my review would have read more like:

After a lot of research on the subject of range, I realized that this may be a source of anxiety for me. So the first thing I did was get myself a level 2 charger (I literally paid under $1,000 to have it installed, not including the price of the charger) and make sure that I check superchargers destinations when I go on long trips. I’ve been on two since buying this car and since I thoroughly researched this subject, I have not found this to be a problem at all. Actually it’s pretty fun.

And he kept charging up to 100% haha
Well, he had to because he was driving like a demon and had horrible efficiency.

My lifetime average in just over 2 years is 268 Wh/mi. That puts my average range at about 280 miles - that's real world experience. As I think about it, we had a neighbor from New jersey. If this guy drives anything like my neighbor that may explain a lot!

Reading this makes me wonder if the "reviewer" has an incentive, e.g. is associated with a RAM dealer or something.

For a true review, there are too many objective untruths and illogical statements like these, with my reaction as a reader under each:
  • "put the charging station in my phone and it turned out to be a mall"
    • Why use your phone instead of charging where the car tells you to? NJ is littered with superchargers
  • "Tires on this car get easily damaged"
    • You also got the Performance 21 inch with sport tires. True for any car with that tire config
  • Pros: "The cars are quick and fast" Cons: "The cars are too fast"
    • Did you order the Performance by mistake? If they're still too fast, why not put them in Chill Mode?
  • "My electric bill has gone sky high"
    • Ok and now you replaced these cars with RAM trucks and expect your fuel to be cheaper? Give me a break.
  • "Snow is coming and would not risk driving a Tesla"
    • Teslas are some of the safest in snow driving. Pre-defrosted, never ice or fog on windows, top notch ESP combined with electric is a winner, check any review of it.
  • "The RAM trucks will be safer.."
    • Safer than the safest car ever tested by NHTSA and most agencies around the globe, sure..
  • "Drive 100 mph" "getting places fast" "160-170 true miles miles"
    • how much range do you get in a RAM truck at 100 mph?

Funny enough, I am brand new to the EV world (bought my first Tesla a month ago) but my review would have read more like:

After a lot of research on the subject of range, I realized that this may be a source of anxiety for me. So the first thing I did was get myself a level 2 charger (I literally paid under $1,000 to have it installed, not including the price of the charger) and make sure that I check superchargers destinations when I go on long trips. I’ve been on two since buying this car and since I thoroughly researched this subject, I have not found this to be a problem at all. Actually it’s pretty fun.
That's pretty much my experience as well. I do think an EV driver needs to be more in tune with how much range the car has at any given time compared to an ICE driver, but I also think that's part of the fun of EV ownership.

In 1+ year of owning my MYP (my first EV), I have never felt any range anxiety because I feel like I always know how far the car can go based on available information. The closest I came to running down the battery completely is when I took the car to the track this past summer. I would leave home at 100%, and return at 3~4%. But I knew exactly what I needed to get home and what I'd do if it was cutting it too close, so I felt no anxiety at all.

Reactions: therealjimbob
If I had read this review a year ago, it would have given me pause. It is still a horrible review, but the unfortunate thing is that this type of review will speak to people who are already afraid of EVs. Every time I hear this type of thing, I just take the time to educate and I don't even have a Tesla yet.

Also... why all the hate on Rams? If I could get my hands on a EV pickup right now, I would. I have orders (reservations) in for pretty much every EV pickup option but they are hard to come by.

MYLR7 is scheduled to be here in November though. :) (Yes... I do realize the EDD will move 5+ times between now and then.)

If I had read this review a year ago, it would have given me pause. It is still a horrible review, but the unfortunate thing is that this type of review will speak to people who are already afraid of EVs. Every time I hear this type of thing, I just take the time to educate and I don't even have a Tesla yet.

Also... why all the hate on Rams? If I could get my hands on a EV pickup right now, I would. I have orders (reservations) in for pretty much every EV pickup option but they are hard to come by.

MYLR7 is scheduled to be here in November though. :) (Yes... I do realize the EDD will move 5+ times between now and then.)

I think its more that the person this OP is quoting complained about their "electric bill going sky high!" and saying it probably increased by 75-100 per month or something, yet bought (2) trucks with 26(!!) gallon gas tanks.

At average new jersey gas prices of 3.77 for regular unleaded, and since the person the OP quoted already has self identified as someone who is gonna "run it down and fill it back up" , assuming 22 gallons, its going to be 80-90 dollars PER FILL UP for this person.

They complained that an extra $75-100 per month was too expensive, yet are going to pay (2) times $80-90 each time they fill up, and they self identified as someone who drives a lot. is this 1 fill up a week? Probably more like 2.

Stuff like the above, for starters, is whats "enlightening" about this information. I still dont know if thats what this OP ment by that, though.

Reactions: jsight
That's pretty much my experience as well. I do think an EV driver needs to be more in tune with how much range the car has at any given time compared to an ICE driver, but I also think that's part of the fun of EV ownership.

In 1+ year of owning my MYP (my first EV), I have never felt any range anxiety because I feel like I always know how far the car can go based on available information. The closest I came to running down the battery completely is when I took the car to the track this past summer. I would leave home at 100%, and return at 3~4%. But I knew exactly what I needed to get home and what I'd do if it was cutting it too close, so I felt no anxiety at all.
Wow. You were really burning it up at the track LOL. That sounds like a lot of fun.

Reactions: jsight
That review is from someone who should not own a Tesla. They are complaining about the cost to Supercharge and then go buy Dodge Ram pickup trucks?!?

One time, we borrowed a Ram pickup truck. We drove it locally to move some furniture. I was floored by the amount of gas it used and driving it for a few hours made me miserable (coming from a Prius daily driver).

I own a Dodge product (Challenger), but Dodge is not known for quality. We ended up with a lifetime warranty. That was the only way I agreed to buy a Dodge. It's not a daily, just a "fun" car. Those Rams are their daily drivers.

Having a Tesla does result in some compromises depending on your use scenario. We put 16k miles on a MYP in 5 months, including long trips. You learn to plan ahead a little. It's not a big deal. I actually enjoyed it more traveling in the Tesla even though it took longer on the multi hour trips.

My husband took the Prius (with our pets) and I took the Tesla. Yes, it took me longer to get to our destination, but I found the trip relaxing and liked the forced breaks.

We couldn't go from NY to WV with the Tesla. There was nowhere to charge it where we were going, unless we paid $800 for an RV site for the week, that we didn't need (we stayed at an Airbnb). So fine, that was inconvenient. Unless you are truly going to the middle of nowhere, you won't have any issues.

Overall, the MYP has been my favorite car, and I am a car enthusiast who owns way too many vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I think its more that the person this OP is quoting complained about their "electric bill going sky high!" and saying it probably increased by 75-100 per month or something, yet bought (2) trucks with 26(!!) gallon gas tanks.

At average new jersey gas prices of 3.77 for regular unleaded, and since the person the OP quoted already has self identified as someone who is gonna "run it down and fill it back up" , assuming 22 gallons, its going to be 80-90 dollars PER FILL UP for this person.

They complained that an extra $75-100 per month was too expensive, yet are going to pay (2) times $80-90 each time they fill up, and they self identified as someone who drives a lot. is this 1 fill up a week? Probably more like 2.

Stuff like the above, for starters, is whats "enlightening" about this information. I still dont know if thats what this OP ment by that, though.

I see what you mean. Yeah... gas is a killer for my Ram and I drive pretty conservatively. Filled up yesterday and it cost me $105 with a one-dollar discount with fuel points. I really REALLY can't wait to go EV. And to answer an obvious question, I do need the storage room of a truck moderately often. I don't own one just because I want a giant gas-guzzling vehicle.

As a new EV/Tesla owner i can see their frustration but review only has like 50% truth, rest is funny n lack of research lol
Yes, True actual range is much lower than EPA with just normal driving n u only really drive between 90-10%
I did feel range anxiety initially so lots of planning is needed since we don't have 'gas station' on every corner n Lv2 is essential at home.
EV is not for everyone n its a good thing, we don't have to worry about taking down the grid at night :)

Speaking of filling up 26-gallon gas tanks, I fill my Tesla battery, which gives me near 400 miles of range, for about $14. There is actually no comparison. Plus, my car has amazing acceleration which, I am sure, would leave that Ram in the dust. Couple that with being able to fill up in my garage, and I'm happy. Very likely the Ram owner would point out that he can haul a bunch more junk than I can, but the back of the Tesla is an empty cavern, not even counting what I call the "basement" where the gas tank would go on a gas car, big enough to stuff several bags of groceries.

Around here in touristy Napa Valley, gas can run $7 a gallon. That's over $180!!! For ONE tankful!!! Personally, no thanks.

Speaking of filling up 26-gallon gas tanks, I fill my Tesla battery, which gives me near 400 miles of range, for about $14. There is actually no comparison. Plus, my car has amazing acceleration which, I am sure, would leave that Ram in the dust. Couple that with being able to fill up in my garage, and I'm happy. Very likely the Ram owner would point out that he can haul a bunch more junk than I can, but the back of the Tesla is an empty cavern, not even counting what I call the "basement" where the gas tank would go on a gas car, big enough to stuff several bags of groceries.

Around here in touristy Napa Valley, gas can run $7 a gallon. That's over $180!!! For ONE tankful!!! Personally, no thanks.
From a RAM owner (note: not the reviewer): No argument whatsoever on your points. Model Y on order and I will replace the Ram with an EV option as soon as I can get my hands on one. And... my tank is a 33 gallon which makes things even worse. Little piece of my soul dies every time I have to fill her up with gas.

He also bought/rented 2 model ys per the pick. Thats send Normal for charging 2 EVs to 100% everyday 🤦🏾‍♂️

Reactions: therealjimbob