Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enphase Bi-Directional Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Electrek is using a photo of a Model 3, but glancing at Enphase’s website and white paper I only see mention that it’ll work with “most” EVs. Mistaken use of a stock photo by Electrek, or did I miss something?

I have to admit ignorance that when I got my M3LR almost a year ago, I had assumed it was V2H/V2G capable without having done any research beforehand. I’m not sure it would have changed my mind ultimately, but it would be really nice if somehow it was possible (I know there are threads talking about how it’s not, but Electrek’s use of that M3 stock photo gave me a faint sense of hope).

Not a stock Electrek photo, as the license plate in the photo reads "ENPH", so it looks like it came from Enphase. They recently acquired Clipper Creek, hence the Clipper Creek charging stations (which are most certainly not bidirectional) shown in the photo. It is a bit sketchy that they used a photo of a car that definitely can NOT support bidirectional charging though.

I did look at the white paper, and note that it says:

In addition, Enphase’s Bidirectional EV Charger will be simple to install and will work with most EVs that support bidirectional charging.

Which is a pretty limited number of vehicles, but good that they are looking to develop a bidirectional charging station though. I don't think their solution offers any groundbreaking technology, but it will be good to see some third party solutions in the space, and hopefully this will kick start other manufacturers to get into the game as well.

Reactions: moa999
The first video for this product (description: V2L GBT decharger TESLA adapter connector cable gb/t dc for Honda MNV XNV Dongfeng M5 Weltmeister EX5 V2H) shows a Chinese Tesla with a GB/T DC connector (next to the type 2 connector) and a working V2L device.
Teslas for the Chinese market will have some different hardware because of the GB/T DC connector (which is different from the CSS-combo or tesla connector), but apparently the charging hardware is bidirectonal as well!

Model 3s (nor Ys, nor I am pretty sure any tesla other than roadsters) have built in bi directional charging. they should not have used a picture of a tesla.
The beginning of this sentence should read "No model 3s......". Basically no tesla except possibly the roadster currently has bi directional charging ports. Right now, people companies use shots of Teslas almost like stock photo for "EV" since to the vast majority of people "Tesla" is is basically any EV like "Vasaline" is what people call petroleum jelly.

The beginning of this sentence should read "No model 3s......". Basically no tesla except possibly the roadster currently has bi directional charging ports. Right now, people companies use shots of Teslas almost like stock photo for "EV" since to the vast majority of people "Tesla" is is basically any EV like "Vasaline" is what people call petroleum jelly.
Actually, my understanding is that newer Teslas have “bidirectional capability”, but it has not been enabled. I’m assuming they will want to enable with their Powerwalls before going with Enphase.

Demo of Enphase bi-directional charger.

As already mentioned, CHAdeMO is relatively easy since a shipping car actually supports it (Nissan LEAF). CCS will require a firmware update from the car maker. I would think that it would be possible for all Tesla to support this. They just don't need to freak out if the current starts flowing the other way when the contactors are closed. Basically when DC charging the car is already at the mercy of the off board charger.

Tesla can easily implement a similar product. They have the all the pieces in house, they just need to want to do it. I'm excited that that a couple of vendors, Enphase and SolarEdge have essentially already done it. This makes it feel almost inevitable. I think the "ideal" home energy solution is a base of "fixed" energy storage (like Powerwall) augmented by the large batteries in vehicles.