Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enterprise Tesla rentals when getting service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
I am guessing this is fairly new, but when I dropped off my car at Van Nuys yesterday for service, they set me up with an Enterprise rental Tesla S75.

It was a base model car, but appeared to be brand new with only 1600 miles. It has the textile seats, glass roof and AP2 sensors, but no AP turned on. Guy at the SC said Enterprise had bought a bunch of them, I assume as part some deal to supplement the in-house loaners.

It also appears that supercharging is not free (There was a $$ counter on the charge screen) which is an interesting note. Since Tesla is covering this rental, I assume that I don't have to worry about fees, but if I rented one on my own I wonder how much Enterprise would gouge for using the supercharger network on their account. (Similar to the extra fees you pay if you drive a rental through electronic-only toll roads)

Anyone else seen Tesla Enterprise rentals when doing service?

I am guessing this is fairly new, but when I dropped off my car at Van Nuys yesterday for service, they set me up with an Enterprise rental Tesla S75.

It was a base model car, but appeared to be brand new with only 1600 miles. It has the textile seats, glass roof and AP2 sensors, but no AP turned on. Guy at the SC said Enterprise had bought a bunch of them, I assume as part some deal to supplement the in-house loaners.

It also appears that supercharging is not free (There was a $$ counter on the charge screen) which is an interesting note. Since Tesla is covering this rental, I assume that I don't have to worry about fees, but if I rented one on my own I wonder how much Enterprise would gouge for using the supercharger network on their account. (Similar to the extra fees you pay if you drive a rental through electronic-only toll roads)

A Tesla from Enterprise sure is better than that Nissan I got from Enterprise on one of my service visits!

I heard few weeks back that Tesla was planning to shift the loaner fleet to enterprise to move the inventory off the balance sheet. Since then, Tesla increased the loaner fleet fairly significantly still run internally. Maybe this is a proof of concept where they are testing the model. Besides the public company aspect of Tesla needing to move the inventory off the balance sheet I think the inventory demo car model is wise for Tesla to continue on their own.

The loaner program offers quite a few levers for Tesla to pull:

Age and discount old stock. There was an influx of brand new 90D's recently and Tesla put them into service as loaners then when they had a few hundred or thousand miles on them they were able to 'justify' steep discounts that they otherwise wouldn't do with a zero mile car.

They can decide to have the loaners be all brand new top end models or shift to be CPO type lease turn-ins on a moments notice.

If a customer wants to keep their loaner bc they like it more than their own car, Tesla will likely find a way to sell it to them. This would be more difficult, show differently on car history as a rental, and have warranty implications if one wanted to buy the enterprise rental.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones and GSP

I've never seen a rental tesla used as a loaner, the one time I had to take an enterprise rental (ICE) they covered the gas so going off of that I would think that if there were to be supercharger fees that they w(sh)ould waive those charges

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I heard few weeks back that Tesla was planning to shift the loaner fleet to enterprise to move the inventory off the balance sheet....

Where did you hear this. Goodness gracious the fodder coming from Tesla / Elon's mouth and what really happens is REALLY getting old.

From Tesla's Q1 2017 earnings report from Elon's mouth:

“Yes. And in fact, this will take us a few months to fully deploy, but our policy for service loaners is that the service loaner fleet will be the very best version of a Tesla that is available. So if you have a Model X that comes in for service, the service loaner you will get will be the absolute fully loaded state-of-the-art P100D Ludicrous, best Model X that we have. The same for the Model S. So it will be the kind of thing where you hope that service takes a long time because you have the absolute top-of-the-line Tesla as a service loaner.”

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Where did you hear this. Goodness gracious the fodder coming from Tesla / Elon's mouth and what really happens is REALLY getting old.

“Yes. And in fact, this will take us a few months to fully deploy, but our policy for service loaners is that the service loaner fleet will be the very best version of a Tesla that is available. So if you have a Model X that comes in for service, the service loaner you will get will be the absolute fully loaded state-of-the-art P100D Ludicrous, best Model X that we have. The same for the Model S. So it will be the kind of thing where you hope that service takes a long time because you have the absolute top-of-the-line Tesla as a service loaner.”

Said the same thing in 2013 as well:

Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program

To this end, Tesla is building a fleet of top of the line Model S loaners. These will not be our basic model – they will be state of the art with all the best features and options.

cloth seats

I actually like the cloth - it seems like it would hold you in the seat better during "spirited" driving. Maybe Tesla should offer Alcantara seats on their P models (not just the tiny inserts I have now on my "performance" seats.)

But, I have figured out that I do NOT like the new seat shape, so this loaner was useful for me. Turns out I am too short for the side bolsters as they force my shoulders forward while driving. Kind of puts a damper on any upgrade plans from my 2013. For now they still offer the classic seats as an option, but I wonder how long that will last.

On another note, getting a Tesla from Enterprise is not quite the same experience as a loaner car. My rental was less than half charged (luckily it was enough to get me home) and today I got tire pressure low warnings so had to spend 20 minutes airing up all the tires.

Last edited:
I received an Enterprise Tesla Model S loaner during a service appointment a couple of weeks ago. While I was grateful to receive this loaner instead of an ICE card, I was less than impressed....cloth seats? no Autopilot? 75 kWh battery? I was so glad to get my X 90D back.
in my experience it is rare that a dealership offers a loaner as loaded up as your car or to a level of your car. When my MB SL would be in for service the dealership would give me a C class. when my BMW x6 would be serviced I'd get a 3 series. I really don't think that from an economic perspective keeping a fleet of the higher end vehicles to be used as loaners is viable or makes good sense for the dealerships or tesla.

I

On another note, getting a Tesla from Enterprise is not quite the same experience as a loaner car. My rental was less than half charged (luckily it was enough to get me home) and today I got tire pressure low warnings so had to spend 20 minutes airing up all the tires.
that is just poor preparation and a customer service fail on the part of enterprise

I suppose that you might be unaware of the term EST? elon standard time

about 2 weeks ago, same thing happened to me.

got an Enterprise S75 as a loaner, new with only 300 miles on it, same spec as yours, base model with no options, no AP activated, texile seats, etc. i also asked the tesla rep about it, they said the same thing, Enterprise buying is Tesla's and supplying them back to Tesla if they dont have enough loaners available. seems like it would be a win-win situation for both.

it was pretty nice, i really like the all glass roof, the seats in the newer cars are much nicer, granted i didnt really like the look of textile, they were very comfortable. it drives way better than the S85 i had as loaners in the past.

Sounds like you got the car, I was in a couple weeks back. It was a black one. It looked like they took it off the truck, pulled off the protective film and put it into service. I had an issue trying to charge it with my HPWC. I ended up having to jiggle it. I did supercharge it once, and didn't even check to see if there was a charge.

I was thankful I got the loaner, but I sure appreciated my 100D after I got it back.

I got an Audi A4 Enterprise rental today from the Torrance, CA service center (LA). They said they've sold all their loaners and are no longer offering Tesla loaners, only offering rentals thru Enterprise. the service/tech who checked me in told me the A4 rental was across the street and had a full tank of gas and need to return it with a full tank.

When I got into the rental, it only had a half tank. I was in a hurry to get to work, so called them and they said they haven't come up with the exact policy yet, but if I got gas, I should keep the receipts and they would reimburse me supposedly.