TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Entrepreneur of the Year: Elon Musk

Discussion in 'News' started by TEG, Nov 28, 2007.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#1 TEG, Nov 28, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
    Entrepreneur of the Year: Elon Musk

..."Musk frets over the state of Tesla Motors--he has interviewed 20 candidates and still can't find a suitable CEO"...

..."At Tesla, Musk has issued directives on seat cushions, the shape of the headlights, even the style of trunk on the company's forthcoming midrange sedan--an odd request given that his engineers have yet to figure out how exactly the thing is going to be powered. The most controversial of Musk's edicts involved the transmission. Martin Eberhard, Tesla's co-founder and then-CEO, argued that it would be quicker and easier to build the car with a single-speed transmission. Musk ordered a two-speed model so that the Roadster would be able reach a top speed of well over 100 miles per hour"...

..."The company is also working to strike a deal with a major car manufacturer (which Musk declines to name) to become a supplier of chassis and drive trains for a mass-market electric vehicle."...
    [[ Phoenix??? Fisker??? Better-Place??? Renault??? Daimler??? Chrysler??? Ford??? ]]

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#2 TEG, Nov 28, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
    During many of Martin's interviews he uses the term "freaking" a lot.
    Perhaps a nod to the "fracking" fest in Battlestar Galactica?

Now I see Elon saying it in his interview.
    I wonder who started that?!

Musk: "I got so freaking jacked that I seriously started to feel like I was losing my peripheral vision,"
    Eberhard:"Air bags are 'freaking amazing'"

Maybe I just don't get out enough and everyone is using that term these days?

3. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

It would indeed have been quicker and easier to build the car with a single-speed transmission. But the car wouldn't have performed the way it does. It would have been half-assed. I think the two-speed transmission is one of the most appealing features of the car.

Now of course, in retrospect we can see all the problems they've had because of it, and it's frustrating. But you know. . . I'm still glad they went with the two-speed gearbox for the Roadster. Despite everything, I still think it was the right call. Tesla has no business putting out a half-assed car as their first product.

None of those are what I would call "major" car manufacturers. They're startups like Tesla. When I hear "major" I think of GM, Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Volkswagen. . .

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yeah, right. I listed those others because they seem to have announced a product, but seem to be in search of drivetrain components and factories to build them. I supposed you could include Zap in that list, but I don't see that ever happening.

In terms of "major" manufacturers, we might as well continue speculation about Daimler/Mercedes and even Chrysler. They too have been dropping hints about EV plans.

5. Kardax

Kardax Member

The thing that jumped out at me is that, in addition to (micro?)managing 3 companies, Elon has 5 kids!

It sounds almost like superhero drama: out to save the world every day but little time to spend with family...

-Ryan

6. X-CEOsWife

X-CEOsWife Member

Makes you wonder how he does it all. Keep in mind, Elon's wife is an author with a busy life of her own, according to her blog. I just know how much time and energy I spend keeping our family running. I have no time or energy at the end of the day for a party at the Playboy Mansion.

Maybe he is not as deeply involved in all of these companies as the article makes him out to be. The author may have given the wrong impression in the article, or maybe Elon overstated his capabilities. If he is that involved, he obviously has a housekeeper to wash his superman tights and cape. :smile:

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I think I read somewhere that they have an army of nannies to help take care of things. It helps when you have some deep pockets!

8. X-CEOsWife

X-CEOsWife Member

I can not imagine letting "an army of nannies" raise our kids. That is our job, not the job of the hired help. :wink:

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#9 TEG, Nov 28, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
    Yes, well, I feel the same way now, but twins + triplets plus money to afford the help could possibly change my mind!

When I was at the hospital years back with my newly born twins, a doctor came up and said "how are your twins doing?". I said "do I know you?". He said "oh not yet, but I thought I would just ask", and I said "how do you know we have twins?" He said "after many years at the hospital I can tell just by the look in the parent's faces... Those with twins just looked tired. Those with triplets look like basket cases."

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I thought it might make Martin feel good that the search for a new CEO continues with so many canidates rejected. Martin may not have been the right man in Elon's eyes but a the same time he is not so easily replaced either.

I would take a bit of solice in that.

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

12. Brent

Brent Member

#12 Brent, Nov 28, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
    The people I've known in his income category typically have at least one nanny per two children, a full-time housekeeper, and an assistant or two. I knew one guy who would "receive" his infant daughter right after her evening bath, bounce her on his knees for a minute, and then hand her back to the nanny to be put to bed. I'm not a parent, so I have no right to say anything, but that looked awfully like hobby parenting to me...

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_7582265

"Musk, named entrepreneur of the year in the current issue of Inc. magazine, said Wednesday that issues with the Roadster's transmission remain, but the company was on pace to deliver cars early next year."

14. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

15. bobw

bobw Tesla Reader

Martin and Elon Have Small Children

You have to watch what you say, because they'll repeat it when you least expect it. I say "flaming", myself.

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Musk: "I got so freaking jacked that I seriously started to feel like I was losing my peripheral vision,"
    Eberhard:"Air bags are 'freaking amazing'"

On the radio, DJ's often say "F-in"

I've also noticed Martin stars out a lot of explanations with the word, "So".

And that Zak has picked up on it too.

17. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#17 TEG, Nov 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Friggen'/Fricken'/Fracken'/Freakin'
    I guess we rotate the popular F-word substitute of the moment.

Oh our US halibut filters and media censors.
    Not like the BBC (warning: uncensored swearing below):

18. bobw

bobw Tesla Reader

Martin and Elon Have Much Experience with the Media

Martin Eberhard and Elon Musk have both shown their skill with the media. Foul language doesn't play well. It's best not to develop the habit.