Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EPA Range for 70D 240 miles - does it make sense?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does CA have a different webpage? Just checked and the 70D is still not there. And 85D comes up at 295 with 65 mph with AC off. And if you do the math on the 60 (ie 70/60*range), you would get 250. I know it isn't fair to do that since there is increased weight but also different "gearing".

So brucet - are you sure? I notice that the "Your questions answered" is under "my.teslamotors" and so perhaps we see different things.

Since Tesla is voluntarily using lower EPA numbers, I might not really believe the fuzzy numbers on their website - even more than usual. They are purposely downgrading the advertised range. Sure 240 is a round number but they let the P85D be 253.

Everyone lives in a different roadtrip environment and if I lived in different areas, I'd pay for those extra 30 or 40 highway miles. Minnesota range has zero relevance to NC range since 0 degrees never happens except perhaps in the mountains but even then you would have to be driving at night and would only see that temp for the last few miles. Similarly, if I lived in Texas, those extra miles might really matter. We have 4 superchargers in 4 directions from 60-90 miles away - a bit close but great for the return leg of a trip.

Would be fantastic if we had online access to Tesla roadtrip planner with supercharger times etc with different cars. I'd love to say plug in Wash DC at 288 miles away and be quickly told that it will take 17 minutes more with a 70D vs 85D. And better still to plug in 70mph or 75 mph and give me different trip times. Last time I drove to DC was more than 10 years ago but it is a roadtrip I will take at some point.

Could someone give some estimates on range with the AC on?
I'm just wondering if the 70D can make the drive between superchargers from LA to Las Vegas with AC on during the Summer?

And why are all the mags saying the 70D now has 514 HP???

thanks

Last edited:
Did anyone notice this yet?

Tesla Launches Model S 70D (scroll about half way down the article)

The EPA City figure for the 70D is 242.8. The EPA Highway figure for the 70D is 246.4. (both higher than 240, and the City figure is better than the P85D's City figure)

Then for combined, it says "Combined range voluntarily lowered to 240 mi."

Who is volunteering to lower the Combined range? Anyone know what this means? Are Tesla being conservative with the EPA number?

Does CA have a different webpage? Just checked and the 70D is still not there. And 85D comes up at 295 with 65 mph with AC off. And if you do the math on the 60 (ie 70/60*range), you would get 250. I know it isn't fair to do that since there is increased weight but also different "gearing".

So brucet - are you sure? I notice that the "Your questions answered" is under "my.teslamotors" and so perhaps we see different things.

Since Tesla is voluntarily using lower EPA numbers, I might not really believe the fuzzy numbers on their website - even more than usual. They are purposely downgrading the advertised range. Sure 240 is a round number but they let the P85D be 253.

Everyone lives in a different roadtrip environment and if I lived in different areas, I'd pay for those extra 30 or 40 highway miles. Minnesota range has zero relevance to NC range since 0 degrees never happens except perhaps in the mountains but even then you would have to be driving at night and would only see that temp for the last few miles. Similarly, if I lived in Texas, those extra miles might really matter. We have 4 superchargers in 4 directions from 60-90 miles away - a bit close but great for the return leg of a trip.

Would be fantastic if we had online access to Tesla roadtrip planner with supercharger times etc with different cars. I'd love to say plug in Wash DC at 288 miles away and be quickly told that it will take 17 minutes more with a 70D vs 85D. And better still to plug in 70mph or 75 mph and give me different trip times. Last time I drove to DC was more than 10 years ago but it is a roadtrip I will take at some point.

My mistake. 85D does show 295 miles, which calculation would produce a 243 mi 70D performance.

I got to my.teslamotors by clicking on "Top 5 Questions" tab on the Model S page of Teslamotors.com

Today I talked to Sales group at Tesla HQ and was told that the 240 mile figure is indeed 70D's EPA rating, under which S85 rates 265 mi and S85D rates 270. That test is a mix of city and highway, so if 70D is lighter than the 85 models, it might gain some range in the city portion of the test. By that measure, then, the 70D delivers only 25 miles less range than 85 RWD. In practice, it is likely to be less, since we would normally not start out with 100% charge and after the any supercharger visit the SOC would probably be something like 75%.

- - - Updated - - -

Could someone give some estimates on range with the AC on?
I'm just wondering if the 70D can make the drive between superchargers from LA to Las Vegas with AC on during the Summer?

And why are all the mags saying the 70D now has 514 HP???

thanks

Same reason Reuters several times compared the new S70D to the S80 and S80D. Carelessness.

To estimate 70D range with AC on, I would suggest clicking on the "Top 5 Questions" tab on the Model S page of Teslamotors.com, select the "Range" tab and then multiply the 85D range at whatever speed you choose by 0.888889 (240EPA/270EPA).

Last edited:

I live in the area and will eventually do a Vegas trip. Let's see

LA to Rancho Cucamonga: 59 Miles
Rancho Cucamonga to Barstow: 71 Miles
Barstow to NV Stateline: 113

Should be a breeze. Probably can skip a station too.

No. Example: Tesla may have upped the battery to 70 kWh by using fewer cells of the same type used in the S85. 13 or 14 modules of the same cells used in the 85 cells get you to 70 kWh.

Here is a WAG analysis that I did at Does the 70D have new batteries and will the 85D become a 100D? - Page 3.

The 85D has an advertised horsepower of 422 HP or 211 HP per motor. The 70D has an advertised horsepower of 329 HP or 165 HP per motor. Power in a resistive load is V[SUP]2[/SUP]/R. If we use a resistive equivalent for the motor (excuse handwaving), then the power should scale as Voltage Squared. The Voltage ratio between the 60 and the 85 was 14/16 (module number) or 7/8.

211 HP * (7/8)[SUP]2[/SUP] = 162 HP

That is close enough for me to bet on the 70D having the same number of modules as the 60 (same pack Voltage as the 60) with either more cells per module or improved cells. My wild guess would be more cells per module to transform the 60 battery to a 70.

If we see a near zero State of Charge Supercharger charge rate on the 70D of 105 kW, then the pack Voltage in the 70D is the same as the 60. Initial charge rate in both the 85 and 60 were about 120 kW and 105 kW and limited by the 330 Amps max on a Supercharger. 105=120*7/8

Based on this analysis, it is very likely that there are 14 modules in the 70D like the 60. The only question is if the increased capacity is from more cells per module or improved cells. I'm guessing the former.