Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EPAS_w001 - Our Model X almost killed us today :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife got the “reduced steering assist” message yesterday on our 2022 MXP. Lost all power steering without warning. Nearly crashed trying to stop the vehicle (had to negotiate a curve while slowing to a stop). She was 70 miles from home with an 8 week old puppy in the car. I had to go pick her up (thankfully had a day off yesterday), and the car had to be flatbedded 80 miles to the SLC SC. Not sure if it is the steering rack, software, or something else. This is only the latest in a series of problems with this car. I have purchased at least 15 cars in my lifetime, and this is the first purchase that I have regretted.

This happened to my 2022 MXP at 7:55 PM on April 25th. Caused me to veer over the line into the oncoming lane. Fortunately no oncoming cars at the time.

Message was "Steering assist reduced" "Steering may require increased effort". It cleared after about 5 seconds.

I added it to the already open service appointment. It was completely ignored in the invoice and then follow up questions in messaging were also completely ignored.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
This happened to my 2022 MXP at 7:55 PM on April 25th. Caused me to veer over the line into the oncoming lane. Fortunately no oncoming cars at the time.

Message was "Steering assist reduced" "Steering may require increased effort". It cleared after about 5 seconds.

I added it to the already open service appointment. It was completely ignored in the invoice and then follow up questions in messaging were also completely ignored.
Multiple reboots did not fix our power steering issues. Depending on what problems they find, I may consider a NHTSA report.

You should file regardless. There is no reason for the failure that would have made it safe. Power steering should never fail for any reason.
You are right. I am going to file. I’ve never had a power steering failure in over 30 years of driving with multiple cars, including crappy cars, old cars, poorly/indifferently maintained cars (sometimes all three). My wife is surprisingly chill about all of this. I already told her that we can sell the car and I will get her a new car if she is afraid to drive it again, but she wants to keep it for now.

got this about 10 days ago and just got the car back. There were physical symptoms, when turning all the way at to the stops while parking there was a complete loss of EPAS. I gave them the exact time stamp and the data from that prompted them to do a diagnostic check on the EPAS, which it failed. They had to replace the entire rack, which involves dropping the battery.

Warranty repair, got me in right away and gave me a loaner.

A power steering issue on a car that can be over three tons rolling down the road is a pretty serious deal. You’d think it would not be ignored, ever

got this about 10 days ago and just got the car back. There were physical symptoms, when turning all the way at to the stops while parking there was a complete loss of EPAS. I gave them the exact time stamp and the data from that prompted them to do a diagnostic check on the EPAS, which it failed. They had to replace the entire rack, which involves dropping the battery.

Warranty repair, got me in right away and gave me a loaner.

A power steering issue on a car that can be over three tons rolling down the road is a pretty serious deal. You’d think it would not be ignored, ever
My car is currently in service, with no diagnosis as of yet. They did provide a loaner. I really hope it is something discrete like the steering rack, and not a software glitch that they can’t replicate. If they can’t find a definitive cause, it will be really difficult to trust this car and keep driving it.

How old is your car? I have never heard of a steering rack failing on a car that is a little over a year old, like mine is. Any other time I have been told I needed a new steering rack, the car had well over 100,000 miles on it and it was due to wear and tear, and it didn’t cause a sudden failure of power steering.

My car is currently in service, with no diagnosis as of yet. They did provide a loaner. I really hope it is something discrete like the steering rack, and not a software glitch that they can’t replicate. If they can’t find a definitive cause, it will be really difficult to trust this car and keep driving it.

How old is your car? I have never heard of a steering rack failing on a car that is a little over a year old, like mine is. Any other time I have been told I needed a new steering rack, the car had well over 100,000 miles on it and it was due to wear and tear, and it didn’t cause a sudden failure of power steering.
Steering racks don't usually fail, but under-sized motors fail all the time when they're asked to do too much, and I wonder if that's what's going on. Same unit in the Model S, a much lighter car with smaller tires on it. Hydraulic steering rarely fails and if it does, it's usually a belt, but I had a '96 Jeep's PS pump fail and seize on me, so it can happen. I've heard of electric assist motors failing on other cars too, but it does seem rare.

My car is a November 2020 build.

S/X use the same steering gear part number regardless of year or trim, according to EPC. I'm sure the rack itself was just fine but Tesla just changes it as a unit rather than have their techs try to swap the motor/controller assembly

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
Steering racks don't usually fail, but under-sized motors fail all the time when they're asked to do too much, and I wonder if that's what's going on. Same unit in the Model S, a much lighter car with smaller tires on it. Hydraulic steering rarely fails and if it does, it's usually a belt, but I had a '96 Jeep's PS pump fail and seize on me, so it can happen. I've heard of electric assist motors failing on other cars too, but it does seem rare.

My car is a November 2020 build.

S/X use the same steering gear part number regardless of year or trim, according to EPC. I'm sure the rack itself was just fine but Tesla just changes it as a unit rather than have their techs try to swap the motor/controller assembly
Good point regarding the motors. It would be the Tesla Way to switch out the entire rack, even if it was just the motors that had failed. I think I have seen reports on the forum of model S steering racks failing as well. I also recall someone saying that they had a warranty claim on a steering rack denied because they were running aftermarket wheels that were larger than OEM size. That would seem to suggest that Tesla knows internally that undersized motors are a problem, and larger wheels would put more strain on the motors. I have the factory 20 inch Cyberstream wheels with OEM size tires on my MXP. My wife drives the car almost exclusively, and is very gentle with it. It has never been launched, I don’t think the accelerator has ever even been floored. It is probably the most gently used MXP in the country.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
That's also the BMW way and the way at many other manufacturers for anything that moves and has a microchip in it. For instance, BMW doesn't typically allow its techs to take a cylinder head off for warranty work, or rebuild a transmission - just ship us the old one and install a new one

Good point regarding the motors. It would be the Tesla Way to switch out the entire rack, even if it was just the motors that had failed. I think I have seen reports on the forum of model S steering racks failing as well. I also recall someone saying that they had a warranty claim on a steering rack denied because they were running aftermarket wheels that were larger than OEM size. That would seem to suggest that Tesla knows internally that undersized motors are a problem, and larger wheels would put more strain on the motors. I have the factory 20 inch Cyberstream wheels with OEM size tires on my MXP. My wife drives the car almost exclusively, and is very gentle with it. It has never been launched, I don’t think the accelerator has ever even been floored. It is probably the most gently used MXP in the country.
Update on our issue with loss of power steering. According to the SC, “Test drove vehicle in attempt to replicate alert experienced but no alert is present at this time, and the steering system is working properly. The steering column ECU appears to have experienced a software bug that may have been caused by map location. Replacement is not recommended at this time. Please advise customer to monitor vehicle and provide timestamp and map location if concern continues.”

It sounds like they don’t really know what caused this. Has anyone had this problem occur due to a software bug, and, if so, did it happen again?

Update on our issue with loss of power steering. According to the SC, “Test drove vehicle in attempt to replicate alert experienced but no alert is present at this time, and the steering system is working properly. The steering column ECU appears to have experienced a software bug that may have been caused by map location. Replacement is not recommended at this time. Please advise customer to monitor vehicle and provide timestamp and map location if concern continues.”

It sounds like they don’t really know what caused this. Has anyone had this problem occur due to a software bug, and, if so, did it happen again?

Um wow! You should definitely copy and past their text into the NHTSA vehicle safety complaint form. Stunning!

Had a long history of EPAS faults on at least TWO MS’s since 2013. In each case they were sporadic and intermittent, but also potentially fatal as the MS is nearly unsteerable without power steering, at high AND low speeds.

Got bent over on trade-in value from Tesla, but replaced them with new MS’s, after ensuring they were eventually repaired.

NOT ANYMORE.

One of our current Plaids is being bought back (60+ days out of service!) as we’re damn tired of Tesla’s chronic Quality issues. I think legalized pot use in CA and a remarkable “Ship this garbage MS out and let the Service Center fix it” mentality aren’t doing Tesla and Tesla’s Mission any favors….

Rant over; good luck and BE SURE to take pics of error messages when they occur.

Lemon law the thing and get one of the good ones….

Had a long history of EPAS faults on at least TWO MS’s since 2013. In each case they were sporadic and intermittent, but also potentially fatal as the MS is nearly unsteerable without power steering, at high AND low speeds.

Got bent over on trade-in value from Tesla, but replaced them with new MS’s, after ensuring they were eventually repaired.

NOT ANYMORE.

One of our current Plaids is being bought back (60+ days out of service!) as we’re damn tired of Tesla’s chronic Quality issues. I think legalized pot use in CA and a remarkable “Ship this garbage MS out and let the Service Center fix it” mentality aren’t doing Tesla and Tesla’s Mission any favors….

Rant over; good luck and BE SURE to take pics of error messages when they occur.

Lemon law the thing and get one of the good ones….

Did you go through an attorney to do this? Had you opted out of forced arbitration or did they grant your buyback without going through arbitration?

Did you go through an attorney to do this? Had you opted out of forced arbitration or did they grant your buyback without going through arbitration?
Arbitration is often, if not always, *NOT* required. The language is always there, but the reality is that in my state (perhaps most or all?), the arbitration clause has been removed though case law/legal precedent, yet the BS language remains to make it look like it's a big hassle, and thus, discourage you so you won't bother making a Lemon Law claim.

Don't fall for the BS.

In our case, we sent a FedEx package to Tesla's registered corporate agent in an attempt to avoid having to "ding" Tesla even more for all our attorney's fees.

The corporate agent claimed to NOT be Tesla's corporate agent!?! We re-engaged them with links to Tesla's own web pages which state that they were . . . and they denied they were Tesla's corporate agent again! (And they kept the entire package too. Nice.)

So we gave up trying to save Tesla a few grand in legal fees; sometimes you just can't fix stupid, and for such a brilliant company there are somehow a LOT of really stupid people working there.

Google and Yelp provided some excellent resources for finding a highly-ranked attorney, and we're nearly done with the process.

Don't sweat it. Stop wasting your time. Teach the incompetents at Tesla a lesson: file a lemon law claim and let an expert go after Tesla for shipping garbage to customers paying for expensive Teslas with our hard-earned dollars.

Arbitration is often, if not always, *NOT* required. The language is always there, but the reality is that in my state (perhaps most or all?), the arbitration clause has been removed though case law/legal precedent, yet the BS language remains to make it look like it's a big hassle, and thus, discourage you so you won't bother making a Lemon Law claim.

Don't fall for the BS.

In our case, we sent a FedEx package to Tesla's registered corporate agent in an attempt to avoid having to "ding" Tesla even more for all our attorney's fees.

The corporate agent claimed to NOT be Tesla's corporate agent!?! We re-engaged them with links to Tesla's own web pages which state that they were . . . and they denied they were Tesla's corporate agent again! (And they kept the entire package too. Nice.)

So we gave up trying to save Tesla a few grand in legal fees; sometimes you just can't fix stupid, and for such a brilliant company there are somehow a LOT of really stupid people working there.

Google and Yelp provided some excellent resources for finding a highly-ranked attorney, and we're nearly done with the process.

Don't sweat it. Stop wasting your time. Teach the incompetents at Tesla a lesson: file a lemon law claim and let an expert go after Tesla for shipping garbage to customers paying for expensive Teslas with our hard-earned dollars.

Just curious which state you're in?