Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Estimated Turo Rental Price for 2020 Tesla Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LA is probably the center of exotic rentals, in part because of the movie industry. The Bugatti Veyron is available at an astronomical price per day (think more than the median household monthly income in zip 90275) plus distance charge, “common” cars like Ferraris and Lamborghini’s are much cheaper.

My guess is that the first Roadsters to be rentals will go for something above $3000 per day, reducing as the numbers grow. Newly introduced exotics typically rent for a multiple of the later prices.

Eons ago I used to rent a number of newly introduced high end cars on behalf of a client auto manufacturer. Bought some too. If MSRP is high, early rentals approach the purchase price for quite nice cars.

Therefore, if Roadster really becomes a cult magnet initial rental price could be much higher than the $3000. I guessed.

Long, long ago in 1989, I rented a Lexus LS400 from $1,400 per day. It had been first on sale a few weeks before. Roadster will probably attract massive early rental interest from auto industry, film\celebrities and very wealthy exotic car buffs. If lots of those appear the sky could be the limit.

After all it will be supply constrained.

This post reminds me...:D:D:D:D

Just imagine a gaggle of new exotic rentals all together at a closed circuit track, being compared with one another against a prototype competitor. That really happens.

You’ll not see a $1500 per day new Tesla Roadster anytime within the next five years, unless I’m totally wrong.

@jbcarioca, I agree with every word you said.

Given all that, and a tiny bit of math:

$200,000 base price

$5000/day rental pays off the car in 40 days, or a little over 6 weeks.

$1000/day, below your low estimate, pays it off in 200 days, so just over 6 months.

Wouldn’t anyone with the right connections (and an extra $100K) put a deposit on at least 2 of them?

Reactions: jbcarioca
I won’t but some people are certainly doing that. One missing point is operating cost for rentals:

Three components:
1. Insurance;
2. Repairs;
3. Theft and bad debt.

Exotic car rentals have very, very, very high operating expenses. The more exotic the more expense.

What is the half-life of a 250 mph rental vehicle?

Reactions: GaryW
I won’t but some people are certainly doing that. One missing point is operating cost for rentals:

Three components:
1. Insurance;
2. Repairs;
3. Theft and bad debt.

Exotic car rentals have very, very, very high operating expenses. The more exotic the more expense.

What is the half-life of a 250 mph rental vehicle?

And how much are tires for a 250 mph rental car?

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca