Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU likely to impose 25% import tariff's on cars from China

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GRiLLA

Jul 5, 2020
UK

I would expect that the UK would be likely to do the same, and that Tesla would be effected ?

I would suspect that anyone thinking of buying a new Tesla might want to consider timing, and perhaps used Tesla might see some small improvement in depreciation.

Thoughts ?

Reactions: fholbert
The Y now comes from Germany, all European 3’s still come from China.

Edit: I would expect retaliation from China, expect other things we need to get more expensive or demand for things we sell back to drop off.

Probably a somewhat ignorant point of view but why, as a consumer, should I care if China is selling cars at "artificially low prices"?

Am I supposed to care that big German marques can't make the margins they want on their offerings, and want to carry on charging over the odds?

Seems like such a blunt tool to deal with the "problem" of China being more competitive, and of course it's always consumers who suffer because they are not permitted to buy these "artificially lower priced" cars.

Reactions: WillCotter
Probably a somewhat ignorant point of view but why, as a consumer, should I care if China is selling cars at "artificially low prices"?

Am I supposed to care that big German marques can't make the margins they want on their offerings, and want to carry on charging over the odds?

Seems like such a blunt tool to deal with the "problem" of China being more competitive, and of course it's always consumers who suffer because they are not permitted to buy these "artificially lower priced" cars.
Germany is always going to use the EU to protect it's manufacturing industry.

China have spent the last 20 years building out their manufacturing infrastructure, new cities, new road, rail, power generation so it's no surprise they can build cars cheaper.

Europe has strong unions that slow the implementation of cost saving automation, that really damages our ability to compete.

China have also hoovered up lots of mineral rights, not to mention having their own reserves.

Essentially you snooze, you lose.

China has been subsidising manufacturing and we have been exporting jobs to China where coal fired power stations produce EV . So the lifetime CO2 and emissions are greater than an ICE made in UK an Europe .
Read Ed Conway about it .
38% plus 10% on some announced today .

For context, I think we already have a 10% import duty so this is an increase rather than a new tax if it goes ahead.
Indeed, but it will soar up to 38% now.

It's done, btw, from July 1st.

Tesla is said to have cooperated the most with EU regulators (for a change) and should be the least impacted with a tailor-made tariff (reflecting EU investments), as some models are still coming from Shanghai (specific engine combinations I believe?)
I'd be happy if somebody could make a recap of where M3s / MYs are currently coming from in respect of LHD/RHD and Single/Dual Motor and Standard/Long range?

I understand protecting manufacturing jobs but still quite ridiculous when the immense majority (if not all) EVs produced in Europe still import their battery packs and most drivetrains from China....

All Model Y is made in Germany, all Model 3 is made in China.

That said while the Y is assembled in Germany, a lot of it’s components, including the batteries are still made in China.

Thats all there is to recap.
Has anyone seen an RHD Berlin-built Model Y yet? Not conjecture, but an actual VIN clearly giving Berlin as the assembly location?

Apologies for my lack of faith but the Internet has thought that UK RHD Model Y’s have been coming from Berlin since 2022. Nobody’s ever seen one to the best of my knowledge. I am though, as always, happy to have my knowledge expanded.

Reactions: M3noob
Only the uninformed part of the internet.

Tesla owners U.K. put out an announcement a few weeks ago about it. Whether any have been delivered yet is a good question. Have a look at the configurator, China has 6 colours (they can still get the old grey), the U.K. only has five like the rest of Europe.

Not that I’m panicking having just sold my Tesla and am awaiting a Cyberster that I couldn’t afford if the price goes up by 30% - but we’re not in the EU anymore are we, so why would this affect us?

Not that I’m panicking having just sold my Tesla and am awaiting a Cyberster that I couldn’t afford if the price goes up by 30% - but we’re not in the EU anymore are we, so why would this affect us?

Ignore that! Just read up that the UK government is yet to decide if it will follow suit but car experts are hoping not as it’ll delay the move to EVs. Plus I’m hoping that as even if the UK do decide to impose some sort of extra tax, as the EU aren’t dictating to us, there’s a small chance that pre existing orders shouldn’t be affected.

Because China have used similar tactics to kill industries in other countries, for example solar and steel, and then they end up with a defacto monopoly in that industry and you have no choice but to buy from them.

The latter is fine and dandy when the country is old good terms with you and there aren't events that impede their ability to manufacture or export, but Covid gave a pretty big wake up call on putting all your eggs in one basket.

Only the uninformed part of the internet.

Tesla owners U.K. put out an announcement a few weeks ago about it. Whether any have been delivered yet is a good question. Have a look at the configurator, China has 6 colours (they can still get the old grey), the U.K. only has five like the rest of Europe.
Once I actually have a credible report of a VIN in hand for a RHD Y, that’s when I will believe it.

Reactions: M3noob