Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Europe: Future Charging for Model S 1-phase or 3-phase? (Part 2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No that the 11/22/44 debate has been settled by tesla
The next question is witch adapter to choos, the RED or the BLUE pill, ups I mean adapter
For most it will be easy, the one that you can install a plug at home for
But witch one is most commen at RV park's, hotels and other random sites
As I'm planing on installing a HPWC at home and therefor only need the EVSE when traveling

I hesitate to make this suggestion, but Apple does not release the "most possible" capacity at first. This allows slow constant upgrades as tech improves and cheapens. Please remember that each part is new tech. Too much new and problems grow exponentially.

Do Europeans have no faith in superchargers?

EU specs page seems updated:
Charging
11 kW capable on-board charger with the following input compatibility: 85-265 V, 45-65 Hz, 1 phase 40A or 3 phase 16A (Optional 22 kW capable Twin Chargers increases three phase input to 32A and single phase input compatibility to 80A)
Peak charger efficiency of 94%
11 kW capable Universal Mobile Connector, IEC 60309 5 PIN Red 16A/3-phase (400 V) or IEC 60309 3 PIN Blue 32A/single-phase (240 V) adapter
A choice of adapter is available at time of purchase

Maybe... If it uses properly the advantages of 3-ph switching the rectifiers.

By the way, charging at 230V 3-ph seems possible, as each sub-charger can handle without problem 125 V.

But you don't get 125V anywhere on 230V three-phase as 230V three-phase has no Neutral connector. You only get 230V, between the phases. So you need a delta connection instead of a star connection.

But you don't get 125V anywhere on 230V three-phase as 230V three-phase has no Neutral connector. You only get 230V, between the phases. So you need a delta connection instead of a star connection.

If the chargers are connected in Y (star), that means they share the neutral. So if you plug them to a 220V 3-ph without neutral connector it may work, because each charger will get 125V between that shared neutral and each hot pin. Is irrelevant that you connect or not the neutral pin as no current will flow through it. The only problem would be that the UMC checks if there is a neutral connected, but during the charge it will not be used nor necessary at all.

Saw the Euro-spec Model S at REFUEL yesterday. Thought you guys might be interested to see this:

9182499018_92562c0d96_c.jpg

higher res link.

Saw the Euro-spec Model S at REFUEL yesterday. Thought you guys might be interested to see this:

View attachment 24830
higher res link.

Interesting is the "nose", the port has at the middle pin (PE / ground conductor). This is probably to make tesla superchargers "coded" for the Model S.

I'm not so sure, but on the image the pins look actually "deeper" so they could provide more surface for the supercharging capability.

Here is a regular type-2 inlet for comparison:

MENNEKES_Inlet_und_Ladekupplung.jpg

Interesting is the "nose", the port has at the middle pin (PE / ground conductor). This is probably to make tesla superchargers "coded" for the Model S.

I'm not so sure, but on the image the pins look actually "deeper" so they could provide more surface for the supercharging capability.
Good catch! That might indeed be true for the SuperCharging.

Dave Duff (the guy at Tesla) probably came up with that.

Where are the lights that indicate, charging, error or what so ever, like the original Tesla charing plug ?
From what I've heard we won't have those lights since the Type 2 connector is bigger and they had to give up the LED rings to allow the bigger socket to be mounted in the tail light.

From what I've heard we won't have those lights since the Type 2 connector is bigger and they had to give up the LED rings to allow the bigger socket to be mounted in the tail light.

In my view there would have been enough space above the type 2 connector, to allow for a small led. It's a pity, if they actually completely relinquished the led.

It seems like the hinge had also to be split into two pieces to make more place for the Type 2 inlet.

The regular charge port door looks like this:

tesla-model-s-5763.jpg