Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV ChAmp app is fantastic -- will use it from now on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But given the recent discussions around charging not starting on cold batteries, I'm not sure a delayed, high current charge is better than a slow charge starting right now.

Wonder about efficiency of UMC at high vs. low charging current. Any test data / calculations on total energy consumption for low current-longer time vs. higher current-shorter time charging profiles?

I entered my Tesla login but it gave an error in red but I can't recall the wording.
A day later I launched the app and it has my cars name but doesn't seem to be able to down load the current rated range or 90% charge target but perhaps that's not a feature yet or perhaps it can't read it because my car is set to Kms.
It may be that the car was asleep. Wait a few minutes and try refreshing. Or if you have the Tesla app, after you see that it has successfully connected to the car, go back to the EV ChAmp app and refresh.

For future enhancements most other countries also have 3 phase power available so that would be a nice option to have in the variables.
Noted.

Wonder about efficiency of UMC at high vs. low charging current. Any test data / calculations on total energy consumption for low current-longer time vs. higher current-shorter time charging profiles?

The charger is operating somewhat close to the the same efficiency, but the overhead losses of heating or cooling a battery over a much longer period of time at a really slow charge rate would add up.

For normal 240 volt charging at 20-80 amps, without abnormal battery temps (neither too hot or too cold), 85-90% efficiency is pretty safe. That's why I use 87.5%.

If you slowed the charge to 6 amps (or used the 120 volt 12 amp plug on the UMC) on a cold night with a cold battery, the charge rate isn't fast enough to really warm up the battery, and the battery heater will suck up a LOT of power for a long period of time. Yes, the overall efficiency will plummet, understandably.

EV ChAmp has been updated (version 1.3.x) for both iOS (App Store) and Android (Google Play and Amazon Appstore). Here are the feature additions:
  • Display range in either miles or kilometers, user-selectable through Menu > Settings.
  • In addition to the current default computation of charging current, you can now choose to have the app compute either the charge start time or the charge end time for given values of range, end/start time, and charging current.

Hi
Just download the EV ChAmp I live in Norway and have the Tesla HPWC with 3 phase 24A (16.5kW)
Nice app, but for future enhancements showing % not just miles/km and have 3 phase power would be a nice option to have in the variables.

All the best
PerS
Asker
Norway

EV ChAmp has been updated (version 1.4.x) for both iOS (App Store) and Android (Google Play and Amazon Appstore) with a new option in Menu > Settings for choosing the charging voltage used in the calculations. The app previously assumed 240V as the input voltage. So this will make the calculations more accurate if you are charging at some other voltage.