Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Charger Maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kevin, are you guys going to import the 549 dutch charging stations from E-Laad?
many volunteers have started contributing data to the project recently and I believe that we will have most of the worlds Charging Stations in the database within a few months.

We really need more volunteers from each country to ensure that their local data is accurate and maintained.... feel free to get involved :wink:

many volunteers have started contributing data to the project recently and I believe that we will have most of the worlds Charging Stations in the database within a few months.

We really need more volunteers from each country to ensure that their local data is accurate and maintained.... feel free to get involved :wink:
I contacted you about two weeks ago about those stations, got an e-mail back from one of the dev's that he was looking into importing that data.

If you want me to write some glue-code that can import the stations in OCM instead, I'd be more than happy to!

I contacted you about two weeks ago about those stations, got an e-mail back from one of the dev's that he was looking into importing that data.
If we do not have permission to undertake a bulk download of the data from an existing website then we do not proceed because we might be violating copyright.

Therefore, until we have permission from the website owners we will depend on individual submissions from volunteers. Thankfully, the number of volunteers is growing fast and we will soon have all the global data with or without the help of the third party websites.

One of the key things the EV community could do is apply pressure to third party websites insisting that they share data for the benefit of all.

The issue that makes me prefer Recargo is that OCM doesn't support NEMA 14-50 sites, which are still very important for Roadster owners on the west coast of the US.

Also, you should be able to get all of the ChargePoint stations directly from them through a web API. Recargo is doing this now.

The issue that makes me prefer Recargo is that OCM doesn't support NEMA 14-50 sites, which are still very important for Roadster owners on the west coast of the US.
have you considered getting involved with OCM and obtaining a copy of the NEMA 14-50 site data? Most of this data was provided by end users and should be available to all.

Also, you should be able to get all of the ChargePoint stations directly from them through a web API.
Thanks, I'll pass that onto the developers.

have you considered getting involved with OCM and obtaining a copy of the NEMA 14-50 site data?

I'm way too buried in other projects to take that on, I just wanted to let you know why OCM isn't the charge map I promote.

Most of this data was provided by end users and should be available to all.

OK, I'm confused. When I went to the OCM site and clicked on the "Add" button, I didn't see a NEMA 14-50 choice. How does someone enter a new 14-50 site?

I really enjoy the ease of use of the Recargo Iphone App and it's graphical interface which is pleasing and simple.

...even though I believe in what OCM is doing with it's dry almost 90's text look.

With that in mind I went to openchargempa.org site with the intention of giving critical feedback.

I am going to speak frankly from a narrow minded CA, US perspective. I am not as narrow as this but I often do have to wear the "narrow goggles" in the course of my work sometimes presenting to the US common denominator citizen. (I will also make suggestion and comments in parentheses)

Bottom left box says “London, UK”. That turns me off (as an egocentric American.) (I suggest “Place city here” or “Zip code” or “State/Province” I suggest box titles such as the three shown “LOCATION” “WITHIN” “UNIT” )
What country shape is that? I want to see the USA so I can click on my state.
(Show at the start screen the globe like Google Earth does. Be sure that North America is in the center.) (alt suggestion is to show one of those cut up pie shaped earths that shows the whole planet at once)

The green circle Plug Logo does not look like a plug, it's some weird thing from Denmark or something. (more generic artwork)

I don't want to read. I want to find a place to plug my car in. (Put the user stuff (map) at top and info stuff at the bottom.)

What's it called?
(Openchargemaps is a functional name but not a catchy one. I keep forgetting it. A catchier name is needed. OpenEV.com? EVHeaven.com? AllEV.com EVeryplug.com? JuicEVs.com?
There are still a lot of url's that have not used the EV much so it is ripe for harvesting. If the user owns an EV they know that acronym and EV fits quite well at the front of EVery which you are certainly trying to list.)
(This next one one bothers me as an advocate for EVs., We all know the these sites are not actual chargers but merely plugs and cables coming out of boxes directly connected to the grid (mains). With this name I think you are perpetuating the problem of people thinking you need to find a charger to fill up today's EVs when any plug will do since the chargers are now built into cars. -And yes high powered chargers are the exception, and you need to carry adapters but those are exceptions and the very name of the site should not bow to the few. Something that does not say, "Here's where the "chargers" that you need are located". Plugs are EVerywhere, (http://everywhereplugs.com/ , evplugs.com )
these are just the easier , faster, better ones. ) (easyplugs.com)

(Dot com is real. Dot org is forgettable. Glad you are covered there.)

That gets the big ones off my chest. Thank you for indulging me.

eric

Last edited:
OK, I'm confused. When I went to the OCM site and clicked on the "Add" button, I didn't see a NEMA 14-50 choice. How does someone enter a new 14-50 site?
For now just add the sockets type in the "Comments or Additional Info" box and the admins will sort it out.

If you wish to upload a number of sites then you can use the import spreadsheet (please include the data sources own Id/ref for locations in the ID column if possible);

http://openchargemap.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/openchargemap/trunk/DataSources/import-templates/ocm_import_template.xls?revision=104

Alternatively, if you can gain permission from the existing site owner then we can usually take a bulk download.

Many thanks for your support... more European and Japanese data being uploaded to the OCM database today :smile:

Thanks, as the lead developer of the openchargemap project and I can probably shed some light on the choices. OCM was originally not intended to be consumer facing, instead app developers etc would use our database and web services to provide fancy apps with added value.

It's slowly become clear that we're not going to get an army of talent picking up our data services and running with it, so it looks like we'll have to do that ourselves. We have made some initial efforts toward providing a service to end users, the map widget on the home page is actually intended for other website owners to include in their own sites and wasn't intended as our main consumer facing service. We have started to build out the idea of a web app at OpenChargeMap suitable for iPhone/android/iPad use etc.

Comments are much appreciated and we are listening, we are very resource constrained and if there are JavaScript developers with the latest skills listening then please join us.

Best regards,
Christopher cook

with that in mind I went to openchargempa.org site with the intention of giving critical feedback.
Many thanks, I really appreciate your critique.

Maybe a few words of explanation are appropriate here.... the primary purpose of OCM is to create a single free and open DATABASE of Charging Station locations, capabilities, and status. The database is intended to allow third parties to create amazing apps/websites/sat-navs using the data and deliver them to end users for free or profit as the third parties see fit. The hope is that the database will provide a single place to record the basic Charging Station data and hopefully stop the proliferation of websites and apps which now stands at over 70 (increased by 3 in the last week alone).

When visiting the OCM site you are looking at some examples of the tools that have been developed to exploit the database. They are just examples but don't prevent anyone from using the database for more interesting applications (I know of a hotel booking system that's working on a really sexy app using OCM data). As the project grows and the number of participants increases I'm sure that many things about OCM will improve including the website.

I also think that Recargo is a very cool app. However, what I find a little troubling is that Recargo inherited a lot of data that was submitted by the EV community. They also receive additional contributions from the community today and yet do not share that data despite statements of intent to the contrary. Now, you may not care about that, but just imagine the scenario where Recargo sells the database and you end up paying to access it in future, or Recargo goes bust and we lose all the data. Wouldn't it just be better for all of us if the underlying database was out in the community? This doesn't in anyway stop Recargo from creating a cool app it just means that the underlying data is in one database for us all to use.

Final points.... in our discussions with Google it's become clear that without a very small number of high quality databases they will be unable to add useful EV Charging locations to the maps. And if you want to know just how bad this Charging Station data quality can get then take a look at the Leaf Sat-Nav in Europe.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the comments, I've added some of the NEMA connectors to the OCM database now and you can select these from the submission form.

We're interested in hearing what you like about recargo etc, we've also asked if they can work with us on managing common data. I approached the charge points folks about their api and received no response, I suspect they may be more interested in commercial (paying) customers, which we're not.

Chris
Openchargemap.org

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks for the clarification.

Still though some of my comments may apply. As I posted recently on another thread. "Nerds like good packaging too."

My narrow minded goggles say, "So I contribute local plug boxes to your database and then the charge map/app I use does not access it so i have done that inputting work for nothing?"
Pretty selfish these goggles are.