Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Doubler using two 120v outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you have specific need, I wouldn't worry about it.
First, you have to have to outlets on separate legs. That is often a pain.
Then you have to have a real need for it. 120V 15A does charge. Most locations have J-1772 chargers that you can maybe spend some time at.
When I visit dad, we plug in 120V 15A when we get there and then one day hit the Supercharger and then top it off the evening before we leave.

And dependent on where you are going, many homes don't have 220v in the garage. It's often only in the laundry room or a really new house.

Looks like it does what the Quick 220 system does. As long as neither are GFCI circuits and your good about using the tester... Queue many coming into this thread and condemning such practice though.

Quick 220 has sensing circuitry that shuts things down if one of the two breakers trips. I don’t see how you would have this protection with this combiner. Also, does it have any kind of certification? ULC. CSA.

Dear lord that looks terrifying.
At least a legitimate product like Quick220 has safety features in it. This does not. It's literally $15 of parts you could buy at Home Depot connected together, with a huge price tag.
As others have said, the general practice of doing this is frowned upon and often is a lot harder than you think (to find two non-GFCI outlets on separate legs, both of which have no other loads connected to them). This takes it to a whole new level.

...So says this electrical engineer.

Dear lord that looks terrifying.
At least a legitimate product like Quick220 has safety features in it. This does not. It's literally $15 of parts you could buy at Home Depot connected together, with a huge price tag.
I second all of this. $100 bucks for that death trap? That's 10X what it should cost for that little 6 inches of cords. I agree that the Quick220 is the right way to do this, and I do have one, and it has all of the necessary safety systems in it to do this properly IF you even have any need to do this at all. It's 2019. There are rarely any places this would be really helpful without just being an annoyance to even set up. Back in 2014, when I got my car, and there weren't any Superchargers within any driving range of me, and almost no charging infrastructure in my entire state, I felt I needed to be more prepared, but now, with Superchargers and CHAdeMO and J1772, and destination charging, that kind of double outlet stuff is kind of irrelevant.

I’m having major trouble with this product. (I’m not an electrician but I can follow most of the discussions in the forums about US power)

Inputs: Two NEMA 5-15 plugs with short leaders. The temptation would be to plug them into the same outlet which gives you 12 amps continuous at 120V I.e. the same as only plugging one in. Using an extension cord (rated for 15amps) to find another outlet on the other phase (in US split single phase) will give you 240 volts at 12 amps max.

But:

Output: another NEMA 5-15 rated only 120V and 12amps continuous. This is a dangerous socket and will fry anything plugged into it that doesn’t have automatic voltage sensing.

Run fast and far away from this product.

I agree about the safety concerns. I would go with Quick 220 if I had to choose something like this. I suppose as long as I work from home I can charge the old fashioned way (120v trickle with Tesla UMC) with the occasionaly Supercharger top off if I need a faster charge.

Quick 220 insists that we call them before ordering due to changes in Tesla's UMC so I plan to talk to them before buying anything like this. But, if I want faster charging or if my girlfriend gets her own EV we will probably need something like this.