Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV running costs starting to look expensive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been tracking our home energy costs since buying our M3P April 2022. I compared using utility bill data from 2021 to 2022 adjusting 2022 rates to the same as 2021 and normalizing for temperature differences by month 2021 to 2022 (Our utility provides very detailed data which makes this easy to do). Below is are the results so far.
Snag_24deda31.png

I'm stuck on the standard rate for the Foreseeable. As @PITA points out without a smart meter you have no chance of getting an EV/off peak tariff.

I have a smart meter fitted, but it cannot get a WAN connection, something about the network they use in the North of England to send meter readings not strong enough to get a signal in my specific location and no plans (as far as I can decipher from the hours I have spent asking) to fix the issue.
Try talking to EDF energy.
I also can't get a smart meter living in the north, they interfere with the radar at RAF filingdales but I'm told that compatible ones have been developed.

EDF fitted me a non smart 2 rate meter last year which gives half price 10pm to 8am weekdays and 24hrs on weekends, goelectric tarrif.

I have been tracking our home energy costs since buying our M3P April 2022. I compared using utility bill data from 2021 to 2022 adjusting 2022 rates to the same as 2021 and normalizing for temperature differences by month 2021 to 2022 (Our utility provides very detailed data which makes this easy to do). Below is are the results so far.View attachment 843010
You are posting to the UK/Ireland section of the forum. Costs and comparisons can be difficult internationally! However, yes the costs have gone up for us all.

You are posting to the UK/Ireland section of the forum. Costs and comparisons can be difficult internationally! However, yes the costs have gone up for us all.
Sorry, didn’t realize I posted to a UK forum. Just was sharing my results to whoever. I’m sure your power costs have skyrocketed with everything going on right now. Hopefully one day humans will finally move beyond the narcissistic tyrants like Putin and Trump so the world can be a better place. Wish you all the best!

I also can't get a smart meter living in the north, they interfere with the radar at RAF filingdales but I'm told that compatible ones have been developed.

EDF fitted me a non smart 2 rate meter last year which gives half price 10pm to 8am weekdays and 24hrs on weekends, goelectric tarrif.
I’m in a position where I have zero mobile signal on any network here in South Wales, so can’t get a smart meter. When I saw your post I called them, and they’ve said they’re not allowing anyone new onto any EV tariff for the foreseeable.

I’m strongly considering my options around whether I sell the Model 3 and buy something small, cheap and fairly economical, and pocket all the equity I have in the car. Because in October when my fixed rate is up I’m going to be in the same situation with much higher costs to charge at home.

Sadly, I have been talking to EDF asking for just this for the past 3 years with no success. @Andywil, how did you manage to convince them, it was still possible to do it. Very polite, but not can do..

Sadly, I have been talking to EDF asking for just this for the past 3 years with no success. @Andywil, how did you manage to convince them, it was still possible to do it. Very polite, but not can do..
Started trying last June having just moved here from Leeds where we had a smart meter.
I was put on a half way tarrif and told they could get me a legacy 2 rate meter. 5 visits by the meter company later (2 came with a smart meter, 2 came with a single rate meter to replace the one I had).
Manager of customer services got involved and after getting more and more frustrated at the idiotic meter company finally succeeded and we had a functioning meter in February 8 months later!
Persistence is the key and keep asking to start a complaints procedure.
I don't think success is likely if you are not already a customer.