Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV servicing costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Js1977

Aug 13, 2020
Dorset
Fortunately we are isolated from mandatory services as to maintain warranty but my son nearly got made into paying £539 for one (being done later this month) on his 2020 38kw ioniq which only just turned 20k miles :eek:

Further more, having checked online there is no set service prices amongst dealerships... a few miles down the road and the same service was £60 less.

Another thing that caught my eye was if you need a pair of wiper blades... £153.75 ouch

Yet another thing is that a petrol, hybrid needs a service every year or 10k miles yet a diesel is every year or 20k miles... My question is what magic does the diesel car have vs the pure electric??o_O

On the other hand recent reports states that Teslas had the highest fail rates at the German MOT (TUV) last year (for their first visit) due to the absence of these regular service intervals. Major issues include suspension arms / chassis, and brake pads/discs, due to regen. So better to have them checked once in a while still...

whichever comes first - does that not make most of the diesel cars serviced every year. The high milers (rollers) are few - less than 5%.
But the EV would need a service after 10k miles so what is so special about the diesel or more to the point what would the EV need servicing after 10k miles the the diesel would not?

Maybe you can buy a pair at Halfords for £20 quids and do it yourself instead of getting robbed?

This alone should give you an indication about the rest of the quote from your dealership...
That is not the point though. Even with tesla charging £30 per blade (which some moan about) , it would mean n early £100 labour cost to fit a couple of blades.

And its under 30 quid for a pair of bosh aeros and 5 quid a side to fit :)

That is not the point though. Even with tesla charging £30 per blade (which some moan about) , it would mean n early £100 labour cost to fit a couple of blades.

And its under 30 quid for a pair of bosh aeros and 5 quid a side to fit :)
Sorry, must have missed it... You were complaining you have a yearly, compulsory service for a Hyundai EV, in which they want to charge you £150 for a pair of wiper blades... that part alone would tell me I'm being scammed... So what was your point again?

This alone should give you an indication about the rest of the quote from your dealership...
It's the same give or take £60 from all the others. It's only going there because its got a coolant recall. and I said the car is not 4 years old yet (7 months away from that) and only done 20k miles hence only paying just under £100 now for the 3 year 30k miles service. My son on the other hand was none the wiser and would have just paid the £539.

My golf R had its spark plugs, filters, engine oil service, haldex service and brake fluid service etc. (this is major at 40k miles) and was under £539 (not by much) at the VW main dealer for comparison.

Sorry, must have missed it... You were complaining you have a yearly, compulsory service for a Hyundai EV, in which they want to charge you £150 for a pair of wiper blades... that part alone would tell me I'm being scammed... So what was your point again?
Another thing that caught my eye was if you need a pair of wiper blades... £153.75 ouch

Are you reading what you want to read?

> brakes pads/discs

Anyone a feel/experience for when an M3 is likely to need these replaced given regen?

Mine’s a 2019 on 42k - just past an MOT with no brake observations — and the thread sparked the question in my head (as I’d like to buy it off the lease company in the middle of next year - but get any reasonably necessary work done whilst it’s a company cost before then).

They should last a long time provided they are maintained and used regularly. Most of the time they need to be replaced because they have become seized up through lack of use and get corrosion on the braking surface.
Corrosion on the surface isn’t enough to need to replace them, it’s not an MOT fail as it’s just, er, surface corrosion. It’ll go with some frequent use or some intentional burnishing and they should still pass the brake test.

Seized callipers obviously a different matter and can be pretty dangerous in an emergency, so worth getting someone who knows what they’re doing to take a look every so often.

Reactions: nufan and Js1977
Corrosion on the surface isn’t enough to need to replace them, it’s not an MOT fail as it’s just, er, surface corrosion. It’ll go with some frequent use or some intentional burnishing and they should still pass the brake test.
The MOT will not fail on surface corrosion. So long as the discs are structurally sound and the brakes apply the necessary retardation they pass. Mine has had surface corrosion for 2 MOTs (and no… once you’ve got it I’m afraid you can apply all the frequent use you like and it doesn’t remove it.)

and no… once you’ve got it I’m afraid you can apply all the frequent use you like and it doesn’t remove it.
Get some fall out remover on to them and give it an italian tune.... personally never had this issue with cars left standing outside for months but then again I dont live in Scotland so it might be different up north.