Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Even if you buy no options at all, this will still be an amazing car!"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep,

I'm not a ka-billionaire, however I believe I will be able to check every box on my M3 order.
I'm quite sure I wouldn't be able to check every box on a MS or MX.

I plan to sell a kidney on the black market and play the lotto. I might even end up working on the corner if that's what it takes to check every box on a Model 3. :)

You are right, of course. For every person who is focused on the idea of "100 mpg", there are plenty of others who are focused on the idea of range and time to "fill the tank". The inclusion of "100 mpg" is a red herring since one could also add in "time to refuel per mile traveled" or some other sui generis metric that is meant to exclude actual competitors.

If the Model 3 is what it has been promised to be, it will be a very compelling vehicle. But to claim that this car, which is basically at prototype stage, is in a class of one is simply delusional.
I couldn't have written it better myself.

Reactions: Eclectic
You are right, of course. For every person who is focused on the idea of "100 mpg", there are plenty of others who are focused on the idea of range and time to "fill the tank". The inclusion of "100 mpg" is a red herring since one could also add in "time to refuel per mile traveled" or some other sui generis metric that is meant to exclude actual competitors.

If the Model 3 is what it has been promised to be, it will be a very compelling vehicle. But to claim that this car, which is basically at prototype stage, is in a class of one is simply delusional.
Range isn't a matter of efficiency. It's a measure of how big your gas tank is. There are car ads that promote how far the car will go, but don't mention once the mpg. The range is gotten through a bigger gas tank, not how efficient the vehicle is.

All the vehicles on Garlan Gamer's list have pretty bad mpg. Of gasoline. Gasoline, which produces carbon emissions. That's why we emphasize that. If we wanted just a luxury car cheap, we'd go for one of those. But some of us care about the environment.

The "filling the tank" metric is a bit of a misnomer, since over 90% of the time people will go to their cars with a "full tank" of electrons. Time to refuel was the seconds it took to plug it in at night, and the seconds it took to unplug it in the morning. For road trips, if you time the recharging stops with the breaks you'd take anyway for food and bathroom, there will be little disruption to your trip.

Reactions: mhan00
Range isn't a matter of efficiency. It's a measure of how big your gas tank is. There are car ads that promote how far the car will go, but don't mention once the mpg. The range is gotten through a bigger gas tank, not how efficient the vehicle is.

All the vehicles on Garlan Gamer's list have pretty bad mpg. Of gasoline. Gasoline, which produces carbon emissions. That's why we emphasize that. If we wanted just a luxury car cheap, we'd go for one of those. But some of us care about the environment.

The "filling the tank" metric is a bit of a misnomer, since over 90% of the time people will go to their cars with a "full tank" of electrons. Time to refuel was the seconds it took to plug it in at night, and the seconds it took to unplug it in the morning. For road trips, if you time the recharging stops with the breaks you'd take anyway for food and bathroom, there will be little disruption to your trip.
S'Toon,

Have you ever clicked on the link in my profile below that shows my Solar Edge Solar array and the fact that I don't use environmentally unfriendly power for my entire house - at all? Have you also noticed in my profile below that I was 2nd in line in Chicago ( in the rain ) to order my M3 which will be powered by the sun from my solar panels?

You are indeed correct.
Some of us do indeed care about the environment.

Reactions: Eclectic

I don't know about the Model 3 because it's not out yet. But just going with Tesla, there are no other long range EV vehicles with a supercharger network for fast, efficient, long distance travel. So my Model S is definitely in a class of one. I don't like that, and in fact, Tesla's mission is not to be a class of one. Tesla's mission is to promote EV transportation in general -- not just their own brand. As such, their competition is only with ICE and not other EV's. I also own a Leaf but it's obviously in a completely different class than my Model S.

I really hope when the Model 3 is rolling off the assembly line it won't be in a class of one. I think it will be in a class of one though, and I don't think I'm delusional at all for thinking that, but I'm certain others here think I am. ;)

Answer to what now? I'm trying to sift through all of the personal insults.

None of my attacks are personal. I just wanted you to answer to the fact that none of the cars you compared to the Model 3 are true competitors because of mpg issue.

There are a few folks who have gone to every post I've made in the past week and hit the dislike button. That's amazing how much time they have had to spend to find all of my posts. lol

Agreed. The same has happened to me. I enjoy the debate with you and I hope you do with me. Again, none of this personal.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I don't know about the Model 3 because it's not out yet. But just going with Tesla, there are no other long range EV vehicles with a supercharger network for fast, efficient, long distance travel. So my Model S is definitely in a class of one. I don't like that, and in fact, Tesla's mission is not to be a class of one. Tesla's mission is to promote EV transportation in general -- not just their own brand. As such, their competition is only with ICE and not other EV's. I also own a Leaf but it's obviously in a completely different class than my Model S.

I really hope when the Model 3 is rolling off the assembly line it won't be in a class of one. I think it will be in a class of one though, and I don't think I'm delusional at all for thinking that, but I'm certain others here think I am. ;)
No car is in a class by itself. There might be a distinguishing feature of a car that no other car has....but no car is in a class by itself. No one feature can exit a car from its class.

The MS is classified as a fullsize luxury car in the USA, or as a "Large Car" (120 cu ft or more) or "Luxury Sedan" by the EPA. The Euro Car Segment classification is S-segment (sports car), or "Oberklasse" in Germany.

No car is in a class by itself. There might be a distinguishing feature of a car that no other car has....but no car is in a class by itself. No one feature can exit a car from its class.

Okay, I'm not that delusional to think that the Model 3 won't be pegged into a class. That's clearly not what we're talking about. The fact that the car has 400k+ plus reservations when it's not due out for at least a year tells us it really is in a class by itself, all semantics aside.

The MS is classified as a fullsize luxury car in the USA, or as a "Large Car" (120 cu ft or more) or "Luxury Sedan" by the EPA. The Euro Car Segment classification is S-segment (sports car), or "Oberklasse" in Germany.

Again, we all know that the Model S is in a class all by itself. Do you really expect Germany of all places to create a separate class just for Long Range, EV Sedans, with Supercharger networks, then put the Model S in there all alone? I can see the pitch forks and torches from the German automakers who are being hurt by Tesla marching already!

Semantics work wonders. Really you can peg anything as long as you make the class big enough. But don't fool yourself. Once there's more EV competition out there, they will put in a different class.

Either that, or I'm delusional.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm not that delusional to think that the Model 3 won't be pegged into a class. That's clearly not what we're talking about. The fact that the car has 400k+ plus reservations when it's not due out for at least a year tells us it really is in a class by itself, all semantics aside.
I gotcha. Absolutely. You are correct. You are not delusional at all.

I'm just saying that I'm not willing to allow a feature of a car to set it apart from its competition / class. I would love for any MS to have the interior of some of its competition. Some of those interiors are absolutely breathtaking. However the MS blows the competition away on performance concerning the environment. However the competition blows the MS away concerning service and repair. However the MS blows the competition away on ........, however the ICE wins on sound and...........

When its ALL summed up the MS wins, however I'm not averse to talking about the features where the ICE wins. If the ICE wins in a feature I'll stand by that. If Tesla wins in a certain feature, I'll stand by that as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canuck
For example: This is a BMW E46 series 3 back seat. OMG.

To be honest - I could care less about a spaceship feel if I could have a Tesla M3 with an interior like this.

To everyone: I'm still buying an M3 even if it doesn't look like this.

BMW3interrior.jpg

For example: This is a BMW E46 series 3 back seat. OMG.

To be honest - I could care less about a spaceship feel if I could have a Tesla M3 with an interior like this.

To everyone: I'm still buying an M3 even if it doesn't look like this.

View attachment 200225
Where did you come up with that being a BMW 3-series? Not even close. Did you mean 7-series?

Second thought, I don't even think that's a BMW. Looks like a Bentley or some other opulent absurd costing car.