Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Even if you buy no options at all, this will still be an amazing car!"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone !

Well after reading so many about options estimations and witch ones will be proposed with the model 3.

I have a question for you people!

Have we Forgotten or have we Questioning enough about what Elon said at the end of the presentation of the model 3?

"Even if you buy no options at all, this will still be an amazing car!"- Elon Musk

There is a lot of questions to be made from this. Please make yours! Focus!

My question: what could make today the difference between a base model S and a base model 3{an amazing car by Elon} ?

To be more clear, is the base model S already an amazing and so nothing much special to be expected from the base model 3?

What I think is that we may be getting this all rong about options and a base model 3 may include a lot of today options for S/X.

Thanks.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
If I offered to sell you a car that:

-looked great
-handles/drives great
-it's practical with room for 5 and their luggage
-gets about 100mpg
-yet accelerates to 60 is less than 6 seconds
-has a 5 star safety rating and advanced accident avoidance technology

... and all for $35 grand would you take it? I thought so. :)

If/when Tesla pulls this off, it will likely be considered the greatest automotive bargain ever produced, especially the base model!

If I offered to sell you a car that:

-looked great
-handles/drives great
-it's practical with room for 5 and their luggage
-gets about 100mpg
-yet accelerates to 60 is less than 6 seconds
-has a 5 star safety rating and advanced accident avoidance technology

... and all for $35 grand would you take it? I thought so. :)

If/when Tesla pulls this off, it will likely be considered the greatest automotive bargain ever produced, especially the base model!
There are plenty of cars out there like that for that price.

What I think is that we may be getting this all rong about options and a base model 3 may include a lot of today options for S/X.
I doubt it.

I find Elon to be clear in what he says. He thinks that a ~ 225 mile range, < 6 sec 0-60 mph Tesla M3 for $35k is a great car at a great price.

Options are another matter and will cost more. The list includes
  • Dual motor
  • AWD
  • Bigger Battery
  • More Power (I presume under 4 second 0-60 mph time)
  • Lifetime Supercharger Access
  • Winter package
  • etc

Reactions: pjoseph
do you have a cold?

You wanted a list of cars - you got 'em. I'm not going to debate the list.
Not debating the list, just that the BMW i3 REx counters your argument that there are no gallons.

MPGe is also important as a matter of cost to operate... (excluding maintenance/repair costs)

if a gallon of gas has 33.7 kWh then at 8 cents per kW you'd be paying about $2.70 per gallon. Since this is on par with current gasoline prices, MPG and MPGe are pretty good indicators of the cost to power the thing whether a gas car or BEV.

"higher is better" is easy for consumers.

Last edited:
100MPGe (equivalent). A gallon of gasoline contains 33kWh of energy. Most cars go around 25 miles on 33hWh of energy. Apparently, the Model 3 will go 100 miles on 33kWh of energy. Probably more. So yeah, 100MPGe.

The BMW i3 BEV, by the way, goes 148 miles on 33hWh of energy.

Not debating the list, just that the BMW i3 REx counters your argument that there are no gallons.

MPGe is also important as a matter of cost to operate... (excluding maintenance/repair costs)

if a gallon of gas has 33.7 kWh then at 8 cents per kW you'd be paying about $2.70 per gallon. Since this is on par with current gasoline prices, MPG and MPGe are pretty good indicators of the cost to power the thing whether a gas car or BEV.

"higher is better" is easy for consumers.
See below your post - Above this one.