Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ever tried sleeping in your Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys!

I'm planning on taking my new baby for a spin down Europe this summer, and while I'll be packing a tent and some basics, I realize that I might have to spend some nights in the car itself.

Have any of you guys tried sleeping in your Model 3? If the rear seats are folded down, it should give some space for it.. or no?

PS: Haven't received the car yet, so I can't simply test it myself :)

Hi guys!

I'm planning on taking my new baby for a spin down Europe this summer, and while I'll be packing a tent and some basics, I realize that I might have to spend some nights in the car itself.

Have any of you guys tried sleeping in your Model 3? If the rear seats are folded down, it should give some space for it.. or no?

PS: Haven't received the car yet, so I can't simply test it myself :)

Quite easy. Remove the bottom seat if you won't need. Makes it almost perfect flat Use some type of mattress that fits. I use a Dreamcase. Buy some shades, and or eye covers. That roof can be tough at night under the lights of a parking lot.

I love AirBnB, hotels, Bed & Breakfasts. However when I drive it is usually till 3 or 4 am. Pulling into a hotel or Air Bnb isn't practical. I also might want to drive more or less. Having a reservation.:confused: I sleep a couple hours then continue on my day or night. Love to camp, so a car with a/c dog mode and a memory foam mattress is kind of cheating anyway. Instead of driving 7 am to 7pm. Losing a day or so traveling. I can gain those days back fishing, backpacking, or mountaineering.

Try State Forest, National Forest, BLM areas or your equivalent in Europe. There are also some stay free apps out there that help find free spots to camp or sleep. Even a farmers driveway. (people can be very nice with a conversation) Sometimes very low cost or free. Might be a few miles off the road, but tend to be often not occupied, quiet, and lacking in the LED overhead blub department.

To each his/her own. Did it for over 30 days. Found it a wonderful conversation piece with strangers. Got some looks, but had lots of fun.

Reactions: Big Earl
Remove the bottom seat if you won't need.

Thank you for such an extensive answer. When you say "remove", do you mean actually removing it, or just fold it down? Do you have a picture of it removed?

I am fully aware of the AirBNB option, as well as Couchsurfing and similar. Europe during summer season is crazy tourist-y, so unless I book things well in advance - this could be an issue. I will definitely do a few proper accommodations along the trip in ho/motel or similar, but it's nice to know that I can survive without it.

Always wanted to do this, but never had the chance before.. I'll bring a tent and my Biolite Campstove, along with some essentials. Hopefully, that'll be a good starting point.

Thank you for such an extensive answer. When you say "remove", do you mean actually removing it, or just fold it down? Do you have a picture of it removed?

I am fully aware of the AirBNB option, as well as Couchsurfing and similar. Europe during summer season is crazy tourist-y, so unless I book things well in advance - this could be an issue. I will definitely do a few proper accommodations along the trip in ho/motel or similar, but it's nice to know that I can survive without it.

Always wanted to do this, but never had the chance before.. I'll bring a tent and my Biolite Campstove, along with some essentials. Hopefully, that'll be a good starting point.

Removing seats in rear takes all of maybe 2 minutes. Two clips that are white and oval. Then unplug heated seats. No tools or anything needed.
20180728_141011.jpg