Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evercharge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I have read on TMC regarding evercharge setting up charging stations in condo/apt parking. I have been in contact with a representative at evercharge and he said the prices range from $2500 to $4500 to set it up and $15/month + usage. I was wondering if you guys think this price is reasonable?

Also if you guys have used any other third party firms that you would recommend? And any reviews of evercharge would be helpful too!

The condo that I am thinking about setting up is 77 Hudson in Jersey City, NJ.

Hey guys, I have read on TMC regarding evercharge setting up charging stations in condo/apt parking. I have been in contact with a representative at evercharge and he said the prices range from $2500 to $4500 to set it up and $15/month + usage. I was wondering if you guys think this price is reasonable?

Also if you guys have used any other third party firms that you would recommend? And any reviews of evercharge would be helpful too!

The condo that I am thinking about setting up is 77 Hudson in Jersey City, NJ.

Is this in your assigned parking spot or common area? Do you have Wi-Fi connectivity there?

I have EverCharge since my HOA would not allow me a connection without a third party.
PROS
1.It works,
2. Customer service is prompt and efficient,
3. They doggedly pursue defect fixes.
4. They do pay the HOA a small fee
5. If the HOA will not accept your own umbrella (mine would not) EverCharge does provide liability cover.
CONS
1. Very expensive installation. Mine cost twice a comercial level 2 208/100 quote,
2. Very expensive charging. Per kWh mine is about 70% above my condo rate.
3. They charge $15 per month above their very high, almost impossible to decipher, electricity charge.
4. Their connection is 208/30 and will be even less if anybody else in my garage signs on with them.
5. Did I mention they're expensive.

I will get out from them the instant my HOA figures out electricity is a lower risk than storing gasoline. For now the HOA attorneys see much risk in charging EV's.

PM me if you want to know more

Charging stations suck. Expensive, fragile, and more usage costs after initial purchase. Just install some outdoor NEMA 14-50's and let people bring their own EVSE's, like Tesla UMC or whatever. Everyone is used to installing electrical outlets anyway, so you should have little resistance compared to a charging station.

@AWDtsla I would love to just install a plug but after speaking to the HOA they said there is no way to monitor how much electricity I use

Have them install the plugs on a submeter, or if they are installing them for multiple spots it will have it's own meter anyway. Split the bill among the EV owners. Given the cost of service and hardware for these EVSE's, whoever is paying will end up paying less.

@auger This is deeded spot so I guess it's also called assigned. And I don't think there is wifi connectivity there. Why do you ask about wifi?

@AWDtsla I would love to just install a plug but after speaking to the HOA they said there is no way to monitor how much electricity I use

I couldn't tell at first if you needed to account for different users or just yourself. Since the Assn isn't trying to split the electricity up, it's quite a bit easier to bill for.

I called EverCharge a few years ago. Let's see--I pay for the installation, the electricity, and you bill me $25/month for the privilege? Please . . . The $25/month charge alone is double what I would use at my condo's rate. It's the principle of the thing. I didn't even mention this to my Assn. From @jbcarioca, it sounds like they've lowered their monthly fee a bit. I didn't know about the electricity upcharge. The Assn wouldn't have let me install it in my spot, anyway.

I'm continually blown away by how condo Boards make decisions based on fear, emotion, and preconceived notions rather than facts, reason, and logical conjecture based on overwhelming evidence. (I stole that last part from the FSM creator.) You can show them the math; but if it doesn't fit the reality in their head, they won't believe it. For some reason, they think EVs suck down so much electricity it's going to need a substation, and it could blow up at any time. How these dinosaurs made it in life, I have no idea.

OK, rant over. I think this is your best solution if you can get the Assn to agree to it. Have a NEMA 14-50 installed. Less amperage is fine if your subpanel can't handle it but get 208+ voltage. Any electrician can do this, and the permitting is simple.

Get a Electric Motor Werks, Inc. - JuiceBox™ Pro 40 - Smart 40-Amp EVSE with 24-foot cable for $600. It has a revenue grade meter built in and wifi, and keeps historical data for up to six months. I'm not sure how this works if you don't have wifi near your car. If you don't, I think it will store the data; and you can, say, let it connect to your cell phone hotspot every now and then to get the information. You would have to call eMotorWerks about that. Since it is a plug-in unit, no permit is needed for the EVSE, and you can take it with you when you go, leaving just the NEMA outlet.

Alternatively, install a NEMA outlet and wire a $200 submeter into it like @AWDtsla said. Either way, in a few years you will likely have the most valuable parking spot in the building.

It is unlikely your Assn knows what their overall kWh rate is even if they give you a number. You will need a copy of the Assn's electricity bill to figure it out. That way it will be simple to multiple your usage by the Assn's rate to reimburse them every 3-6 months. A monthly fee based on how much you drive is the least expensive and easiest solution; but in my experience, the Board won't believe how cheap it is without a meter. And they may not with a meter . . .

Unfortunately, you may be in the situation I was in a couple of years ago. They are going to keep putting up BS objections because they're trying to get you to drop it without just telling you "no." Hopefully, they want to work with you. Good luck.

Last edited:
We are having 42 chargers put into our HOA’s stalls. Their chargers are the only ones that do load sharing across many chargers. (Tesla does , too but, not everyone owns a Tesla)
$15 per month. Electric usage will be special SoCal Edison Time of Use tier. Our chargers, after rebates are $900 each. The infrastructure is being installed via a government grant. Although the chargers are capable of supplying 80 amps at 208 VAC, we are being limited by Edison to 30 amps. The project should be completed in about a month.