Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything you wanted to know about your battery but were afraid to ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Tesla owners with Lithium-ion batteries, on these pages and in numerous other sources, I've come across various pieces of advice from different "experts" on how to correctly charge our cars' batteries and use them. However, none of these "great scientists" provided any explanations as to why these practices are necessary or where they acquired this knowledge. In the video below, Professor Jeff Gahn explains scientifically, based on experiments, the correct and optimal ways to charge and store your car batteries. These insights are grounded in years of experimentation and references to scientific works by other researchers. Conclusions are drawn on how these batteries will perform under different charging and discharging conditions. So, invest your time and watch the video below. If you find it too lengthy, you can skip to the 41st minute for a summary of the research results. You may start watching from the third minute, as indicated in the link:

If spending 45 minutes seems too much, and you prefer a condensed version with summary data and links, check out the video below:

I would love to hear your opinion on this matter and welcome all comments.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
However, none of these "great scientists" provided any explanations as to why these practices are necessary or where they acquired this knowledge.
Huh. I'm about to report this comment simply for the blatant lying. The graphs and article and citations are posted frequently.

In the video below, Professor Jeff Gahn
Ah, like that almost great physicist Albert Feinstein?
It's ironic, because most of the data people post regularly about battery behavior does come from Dahn's work.

Huh. I'm about to report this comment simply for the blatant lying. The graphs and article and citations are posted frequently.

It's ironic, because most of the data people post regularly about battery behavior does come from Dahn's work.
I would like to see link on your page in Wikipedia or at least your level of eduction. No sarcasm. Just proof me wrong. List of your awards or scientific work will be helpful.

• Disagree

I received the answer to my question in your reaction to my previous question. Once again, I want to emphasize that we all consider ourselves '’great scholars” and ”experts in all fields” at home, but I believe that in such complex matters, it is better to listen to people with truly relevant education, practical experience, and many years of work experience.
Again - no offense.

• Disagree
I received the answer to my question in your reaction to my previous question. Once again, I want to emphasize that we all consider ourselves '’great scholars” and ”experts in all fields” at home, but I believe that in such complex matters, it is better to listen to people with truly relevant education, practical experience, and many years of work experience.
You're just doubling down on your previous mistake here. You are arguing with a claim you made up. I didn't say that. I never presented that I am an expert in any of this. You just created this thread making the arrogant claims that you were the first to present information from Jeff Dahn and saying that no one had presented it here on the forum before. I was simply pointing out that of course he is the most authoritative and most often cited expert in the field, and that is why most of the battery references and studies and articles about battery behavior referenced for many years on this forum are based on his work. You are by far not the first to present him here.

You're just doubling down on your previous mistake here. You are arguing with a claim you made up. I didn't say that. I never presented that I am an expert in any of this. You just created this thread making the arrogant claims that you were the first to present information from Jeff Dahn and saying that no one had presented it here on the forum before. I was simply pointing out that of course he is the most authoritative and most often cited expert in the field, and that is why most of the battery references and studies and articles about battery behavior referenced for many years on this forum are based on his work. You are by far not the first to present him here.
Sorry for misunderstanding. I got your point. I’m closely watching forums here but didn’t see any references to his work. Probably miss something. I honestly believe - one more post with detailed video will have no harm.

I honestly believe - one more post with detailed video will have no harm.
Sure, we welcome any new or additional information about it. That would have been great, but you threw in a lot of snide and rude comments and dismissive accusations toward the community here that has already been learning from Dahn's work for quite a while. Keep it nice maybe instead of starting off so harshly.