Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with Arval and went through the disconnect/reconnect thing last night without any issue - not sure if that really helps you, sorry...

I thought the email from Octopus wasn't very helpful regarding the virtual key - it is clear that as a lease customer you don't need one, but it wasn't so clear that you still had to click on the section about having a virtual key to click another link to say it was 'not needed'..
Cheers. Obviously there’s any number of reasons I can’t disconnect/reconnect. I just wanted to eliminate the fact it’s leased through Arval. I thought it was odd that I got an email (from Tesla) in German though!

Cheers. Obviously there’s any number of reasons I can’t disconnect/reconnect. I just wanted to eliminate the fact it’s leased through Arval. I thought it was odd that I got an email (from Tesla) in German though!
Oh sorry, should have mentioned, I totally got a German email as well 😁

I would guess that means that the two permissions were successfully granted to Octopus, so that's something.

Reactions: MkPotato
Received the same email this morning although our Tesla both updated last week. It says at the end if you have more than one Tesla to hold off, which is what we are doing for now.
Stupidly, I didn’t read the entire email before going through the process. :( My car is now disconnected from IO and can’t reconnect due to 2 cars on the same account.

Any ideas how I can rectify this? I’m thinking to set up my wife as a new owner but my brain hurts! 🤪

Stupidly, I didn’t read the entire email before going through the process. :( My car is now disconnected from IO and can’t reconnect due to 2 cars on the same account.

Any ideas how I can rectify this? I’m thinking to set up my wife as a new owner but my brain hurts! 🤪
I had two cars in mine - I removed one, joined back to IO, then added it back. However, one of my cars is a lease, and the second car is ours, so I’m just a ‘driver’ on that. What I am trying to say, is each car actually has it’s own account/email address…

I’m probably just confusing things…

:eek:

Reactions: VX Foxy
My octopus app will not go past the “You’re on the Intellegent Octopus Go Tarrif” but won’t go any further (connect device, add virtual key or test connection) but the devices tab still isn’t in the app and the octopus app didn’t request any reconnect through Tesla either.

I had two cars in mine - I removed one, joined back to IO, then added it back. However, one of my cars is a lease, and the second car is ours, so I’m just a ‘driver’ on that. What I am trying to say, is each car actually has it’s own account/email address…

I’m probably just confusing things…

:eek:
That kind of makes sense! By ‘remove’ do you mean as you would if you sold it?

My octopus app will not go past the “You’re on the Intellegent Octopus Go Tarrif” but won’t go any further (connect device, add virtual key or test connection) but the devices tab still isn’t in the app and the octopus app didn’t request any reconnect through Tesla either.
Resolved. Myself being a dumb ass and the app not being that clear. Didn’t realise I had to select the model and charger before going any further. 🤦

You will receive the full charge schedule at the off-peak rate, despite this having been as a result of the car having a low charging rate set. There are various ways to game the tariff to obtain increased off-peak slots, however these are clearly morally wrong.

It happened again last night, and the car wasn't set to reduced charge rate. Car was set to 90% limit, and I saw 32A charge speed once it started. I plugged in, set to add 70% by 08:00 (car was at 17%) and enabled smart charging. Plan was produced almost immediately, starting at 20:14 until 08:00.

Charging was completed by 2:30am. So it looks like 12h of 7.5p/kWh and given we have solar panels which so far today are producing 100% of our usage since 8am or so, basically zero full price electricity since 8pm yesterday. That seems a bit nuts, but I wonder if the reason for them being generous with cheap rate is that there was a lot of low carbon generation yesterday. They might even have been paid to take wind power.

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 11.25.32.png

It happened again last night, and the car wasn't set to reduced charge rate. Car was set to 90% limit, and I saw 32A charge speed once it started. I plugged in, set to add 70% by 08:00 (car was at 17%) and enabled smart charging. Plan was produced almost immediately, starting at 20:14 until 08:00.

Charging was completed by 2:30am. So it looks like 12h of 7.5p/kWh and given we have solar panels which so far today are producing 100% of our usage since 8am or so, basically zero full price electricity since 8pm yesterday. That seems a bit nuts, but I wonder if the reason for them being generous with cheap rate is that there was a lot of low carbon generation yesterday. They might even have been paid to take wind power.

View attachment 1035387
Charging schedules are generated based on previous charging speeds. As you’d had a slower charge rate previously, it mapped the charge based on the slower speed. As your more recent charge was at the faster 32A rate, you should find future charge schedules will be based on the faster charge rate. I experienced the same when a glitch in the Eddi firmware caused my Zappi to charge at 6A for a couple of days.

I'm still stuck on octopus recognising that the car is plugged in and generating charge periods ... BUT it can't start or stop charging. I've done everything I can think of, including deleting both apps restarting the phone 2 button reset on the car and reinstalling the app, using the PC to generate the QR code. I can't think of anything else I can do.. its with Octopus now.
( generic dumb charger)
My advice? Leave it alone if it works.

Reactions: Yuff
I'm still on the old system when I initially connected my car several years ago and never received that kind of emails. Should I be concerned and do something?
What software version are you on? Mine came the morning after I updated to the 2024.8.7, before that I'd not bothered changing it.

Personally I wouldn't change it until they tell you or to, or if it stops working.

What software version are you on? Mine came the morning after I updated to the 2024.8.7, before that I'd not bothered changing it.

Personally I wouldn't change it until they tell you or to, or if it stops working.
Octopus is saying they have lost connection with my vehicle but I know they haven’t .
Octopus is still generating charge schedules and controlling the charging.
I am going to leave it until it stops working as it sounds like lots of people had issues re-connecting and it’s a lease vehicle so don’t have a virtual key, which I think also cause an issue.

After I got the email about disconnecting & reconnecting my 3, I decided to try giving control to the Zappi instead. Setup was easy (the test charge was only about 1 minute) and first results are promising …

1) Schedule comes through immediately after plugging in. Previously a long delay.
2) No need to suspend smart charging to use surplus solar - just leave the Zappi in Eco+ mode all the time.

After I got the email about disconnecting & reconnecting my 3, I decided to try giving control to the Zappi instead. Setup was easy (the test charge was only about 1 minute) and first results are promising …

1) Schedule comes through immediately after plugging in. Previously a long delay.
2) No need to suspend smart charging to use surplus solar - just leave the Zappi in Eco+ mode all the time.

Indeed, I would not go back to controlling the Tesla directly. It's easier to use with a second car as well. I do still suspend smart charging, though - often over the course of a weekend there's enough solar to charge the car to 80% and I don't want the smart charging to operate in that case.

Reactions: Js1977

I’ve been using the Zappi IO integration since it first became available and have found it the best way to go about it. Just bear in mind you are setting a % of charge to add, not a charge limit. So don’t just leave it on 80% if you only need 20 or 30%.