Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this has come up, but yesterday I set a plan to add 70% (using Zappi controlled by IO) by 8am and it created a plan starting immediately from 18:14 until 08:00. I noticed that charging was at 3.3kW where the Zappi can charge at 32A. I wondered if it had got stuck like that because the PHEV charges at 3.6kW and maybe IO had reduced the rate. It kept charging at 3.3kW and the Tesla was predicting it would take until after 8am to reach 80% that I'd set as the limit. I then went into the Tesla app and changed the charging current there, and was able to increase it back to 32A.

The car was at the SC on Monday. Maybe something happened to set a low charge speed. I guess IO could be looking at the max charge rate set on the car. We would have ended up with nearly 14h at cheap rate apparently. I won't see a bill to check what was charged for a month as we just got billed. It will be interesting to see what happened. I think this would be a breach of the T&Cs to artificially slow down charging to game the system. It would certainly be a breach of the spirit of the agreement.

What I have routinely been doing is not charging every day because I find that I can commute for two days on a single charge, and then add 70% every other day, as that can't be done inside 6h whereas 35% fits every day. I'll probably come to regret it some day because occasionally they fail to control the charging and I might get up to a 15% battery.

I don't know if this has come up, but yesterday I set a plan to add 70% (using Zappi controlled by IO) by 8am and it created a plan starting immediately from 18:14 until 08:00. I noticed that charging was at 3.3kW where the Zappi can charge at 32A. I wondered if it had got stuck like that because the PHEV charges at 3.6kW and maybe IO had reduced the rate. It kept charging at 3.3kW and the Tesla was predicting it would take until after 8am to reach 80% that I'd set as the limit. I then went into the Tesla app and changed the charging current there, and was able to increase it back to 32A.

The car was at the SC on Monday. Maybe something happened to set a low charge speed. I guess IO could be looking at the max charge rate set on the car. We would have ended up with nearly 14h at cheap rate apparently. I won't see a bill to check what was charged for a month as we just got billed. It will be interesting to see what happened. I think this would be a breach of the T&Cs to artificially slow down charging to game the system. It would certainly be a breach of the spirit of the agreement.

What I have routinely been doing is not charging every day because I find that I can commute for two days on a single charge, and then add 70% every other day, as that can't be done inside 6h whereas 35% fits every day. I'll probably come to regret it some day because occasionally they fail to control the charging and I might get up to a 15% battery.
You will receive the full charge schedule at the off-peak rate, despite this having been as a result of the car having a low charging rate set. There are various ways to game the tariff to obtain increased off-peak slots, however these are clearly morally wrong.

Just had this email indicating an issue with IO, be warned if you’re charging tonight.
I’d updated it all a few days ago and it’s been working fine. I’ve done it again and it appears to have worked as advertised, but might catch a few people out I imagine.
I’ll be watching to check the £10 credit compensation arrives too…..I got wet plugging the car in just now 😩
IMG_1056.png

Just had this email indicating an issue with IO, be warned if you’re charging tonight.
I’d updated it all a few days ago and it’s been working fine. I’ve done it again and it appears to have worked as advertised, but might catch a few people out I imagine.
I’ll be watching to check the £10 credit compensation arrives too…..I got wet plugging the car in just now 😩
View attachment 1033041

Did you grant access to the virtual key ?! I dont quite get what it's asking or why to be honest

Installed the latest Tesla update this morning and at 12.15pm received email from Octopus:
We’re really sorry for the bother. Tesla has changed how their cars connect to third party apps like ours, meaning drivers now need to add their Virtual Key to smart charge. It’s quick and easy to reconnect your car and add your Virtual Key in the Octopus app (more instructions below). Important: if you have more than one Tesla this works a bit differently for you. The last FAQ in this email has more info.

• Informative
Reactions: spooksman
Installed the latest Tesla update this morning and at 12.15pm received email from Octopus:
We’re really sorry for the bother. Tesla has changed how their cars connect to third party apps like ours, meaning drivers now need to add their Virtual Key to smart charge. It’s quick and easy to reconnect your car and add your Virtual Key in the Octopus app (more instructions below). Important: if you have more than one Tesla this works a bit differently for you. The last FAQ in this email has more info.
Received the same email this morning although our Tesla both updated last week. It says at the end if you have more than one Tesla to hold off, which is what we are doing for now.

Reactions: ItsBlacknWhite
Hmm just tried to reconnect my Tesla Model 3 to Octopus app but fails when you click the "Go to device login" button. I get a Web page not available message. Anyone else seeing this? I hope they cater for folks who configured multi-factor authentication...

Attachments

• IMG_20240402_200150.jpg
    IMG_20240402_200150.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 7
Hmm just tried to reconnect my Tesla Model 3 to Octopus app but fails when you click the "Go to device login" button. I get a Web page not available message. Anyone else seeing this? I hope they cater for folks who configured multi-factor authentication...
Exactly the same for me while trying to sign up

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240330-054108.png
    Screenshot_20240330-054108.png
    175 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240401-214718.png
    Screenshot_20240401-214718.png
    528.2 KB · Views: 9
I also received the disconnect-reconnect email prompt yesterday. It worked OK but the test charge lasted nearer 20 minutes, taken from the panels & house batteries (which were at 100% via solar so no cost - two 3.6kWh inverters with individual panels/batteries).

As it's always done IOG charged correctly last night:

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 07.59.58.png

Using chrome as well. I haven't set up multi factor authentication on the Tesla app had a look in the app and don't see it listed 😭
You have to login via the browser to Tesla website and then you can enable it there...
But setup a authentication app on your phone first to manage logins...

Having said that I don't think 2FA is your problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: WatfordEV
Anyone else lease their car from Arval? I’m trying to reconnect my Y to IO. I’ve authorised through Tesla, ticked the boxes and got an email (in German, bizarrely!) saying it’s ok. When I try and “connect device” (4th box down) and put my login detail, when it returns to Octopus, it goes “something went wrong, and unable to get information”.

Anyone else lease their car from Arval? I’m trying to reconnect my Y to IO. I’ve authorised through Tesla, ticked the boxes and got an email (in German, bizarrely!) saying it’s ok. When I try and “connect device” (4th box down) and put my login detail, when it returns to Octopus, it goes “something went wrong, and unable to get information”.
I'm with Arval and went through the disconnect/reconnect thing last night without any issue - not sure if that really helps you, sorry...

I thought the email from Octopus wasn't very helpful regarding the virtual key - it is clear that as a lease customer you don't need one, but it wasn't so clear that you still had to click on the section about having a virtual key to click another link to say it was 'not needed'..