Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
I had two cars in mine - I removed one, joined back to IO, then added it back. However, one of my cars is a lease, and the second car is ours, so I’m just a ‘driver’ on that. What I am trying to say, is each car actually has it’s own account/email address…

I’m probably just confusing things…

:eek:
I’ve got mine sorted now. I’ve got two email accounts with Tesla/lease company, and needed to grant permission with the right one. (So partly me being an idiot!).

Reactions: thax1 and spooksman
Just received an email from Octopus reminding me I haven't disconnected and reconnected the Tesla yet. It states if you have more than one to do nothing other than click a link to notify them of having more than one Tesla in the household, which I have now done (again). For anyone who gets the email this post is a reminder NOT to disconnect any currently working connection.

Just received an email from Octopus reminding me I haven't disconnected and reconnected the Tesla yet. It states if you have more than one to do nothing other than click a link to notify them of having more than one Tesla in the household, which I have now done (again). For anyone who gets the email this post is a reminder NOT to disconnect any currently working connection.
Do they want proof of a 2nd Tesla ?

I made the mistake of 'simply' deleting my car with a view to re-connecting it as Octopus asked. Disaster.

TL/ DR - Tick both boxes.

As ever, it turns out more complicated than you might think, at least for me it is. On the re-sign up process, a (Tesla) screen pops up asking you to tick either or both of two boxes. The boxes authorise Octopus to either have full access to your car* and information about everything you do, location, etc, or just charging info. Naturally I ticked just the latter box. Big mistake.

Despite having a good wi-fi connection, Tesla app fired up and car charging Octopus cannot connect to my car. They suggest checking all the obvious or try again, to no avail.

Ok then, I'll delete it and start again. Sill no joy. Read the instructions again and noticed I needed to TICK BOTH BOXES. The difficulty now of course is that the screen to do so never pops up again.

I called Octopus who said they'd try and fix it from their end but suggested I could try deleting cookies from my phone and try signing up again after that. They also said they would email me within the next 24 hours with instructions after they speak to their IT people. 48 hours later they still haven't. I'll try them again in a couple of days.

I can find instructions on deleting cookies from safari (iPhone), but not from (presumably) within an app? Can anyone offer a suggestion that might resolve this? I suspect I might need to delete one app or other but loathe to do so if there's a better solution.

*(Side issue - if my car ever gets nicked, pin to drive etc notwithstanding, how do I answer the question "does anyone else have access to your car?")

I made the mistake of 'simply' deleting my car with a view to re-connecting it as Octopus asked. Disaster.

TL/ DR - Tick both boxes.

As ever, it turns out more complicated than you might think, at least for me it is. On the re-sign up process, a (Tesla) screen pops up asking you to tick either or both of two boxes. The boxes authorise Octopus to either have full access to your car* and information about everything you do, location, etc, or just charging info. Naturally I ticked just the latter box. Big mistake.

Despite having a good wi-fi connection, Tesla app fired up and car charging Octopus cannot connect to my car. They suggest checking all the obvious or try again, to no avail.

Ok then, I'll delete it and start again. Sill no joy. Read the instructions again and noticed I needed to TICK BOTH BOXES. The difficulty now of course is that the screen to do so never pops up again.

I called Octopus who said they'd try and fix it from their end but suggested I could try deleting cookies from my phone and try signing up again after that. They also said they would email me within the next 24 hours with instructions after they speak to their IT people. 48 hours later they still haven't. I'll try them again in a couple of days.

I can find instructions on deleting cookies from safari (iPhone), but not from (presumably) within an app? Can anyone offer a suggestion that might resolve this? I suspect I might need to delete one app or other but loathe to do so if there's a better solution.

*(Side issue - if my car ever gets nicked, pin to drive etc notwithstanding, how do I answer the question "does anyone else have access to your car?")

** Note - This is easier to do at your PC, rather than on the phone**

Click Profile Settings
Click Manage Third Party Apps
You should see Octopus Energy in there. Click that

Then amend the permissions to the correct state and click Update
1713346131334.png

• Informative
Reactions: HenryT
** Note - This is easier to do at your PC, rather than on the phone**

Click Profile Settings
Click Manage Third Party Apps
You should see Octopus Energy in there. Click that

Then amend the permissions to the correct state and click Update
View attachment 1039259
Brill - thanks v much @browellm

I did try via the Octopus website as well as their app, but didn't know the Tesla online account had the necessary 'back door'.

Wonder if Octopus will ever find out?

Cheers

Brill - thanks v much @browellm

I did try via the Octopus website as well as their app, but didn't know the Tesla online account had the necessary 'back door'.

Wonder if Octopus will ever find out?

Cheers
Beyond the enrolment process it's probably not good security practise to let third party apps amend their permissions, so I'd always rather do that directly from the account giving the permissions. It's probably too much to expect the general Octopus call centre teams to know this too, so I suspect you'd be waiting a while.

Apropos of nothing the Third Party App management page that Tesla now have is a good thing, because you'll be able to see the ancient app that you gave permission to years ago that's still got access and creating unexpected conflicts with the apps you're using today :D

Beyond the enrolment process it's probably not good security practise to let third party apps amend their permissions, so I'd always rather do that directly from the account giving the permissions. It's probably too much to expect the general Octopus call centre teams to know this too, so I suspect you'd be waiting a while.

Apropos of nothing the Third Party App management page that Tesla now have is a good thing, because you'll be able to see the ancient app that you gave permission to years ago that's still got access and creating unexpected conflicts with the apps you're using today :D
On your first point, and to be fair to Octopus, it was within the Tesla app that I was offered the choices on access. Part of the Octopus process prompts you to sign into the Tesla App.

Again, thanks for the help.