Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVgo reportedly adding Tesla plugs to their DC fast chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do leaf owners have a Tesla to chademo adapter ?
There's your answer, no (need).

On permanently attached adapter version the chademo > Tesla adapter is positioned just like a plug holder, simply unplug the chademo side to charge your leaf. On native Tesla version you have 3 handles.

1662781228267.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Only when they have a Tesla and a Leaf ;-)
Or are you asking if there's a CHAdeMO to Tesla adapter that would allow a Leaf to charge from a Tesla Supercharger. In this case, No. There are no such things that I know of.

I did own a Tesla and a leaf for about 10 minutes. Back in 2018 the Tesla delivery staff was so overworked they forgot to ask about my trade in. I was about to drive off when I realized I still had the Leaf keys in my pocket.

We Tesla owners are limited to the 125 amp (~50 kW) limitations of the CHAdeMO adapter. But apparently there are CHAdeMO vehicles that can support higher rates. Maybe gen 2 Leafs with the bigger battery?
The images posted by @kylinblue put the Tesla connector under the label "100 kW". My assumption was that it just uses Tesla's ~50 kW-limited CHAdeMO adapter as you describe but I'm wondering if it might be something different. Or just mislabeled.

The images posted by @kylinblue put the Tesla connector under the label "100 kW". My assumption was that it just uses Tesla's ~50 kW-limited CHAdeMO adapter as you describe but I'm wondering if it might be something different. Or just mislabeled.
I agree with you.
There are also marked 50kw CCS station I’ve been to only able to pump out 100A. That’s like 30kw after heater’s consumption.
I only have CCS>Tesla adapter so I can’t verify it for you.

Ah. I see what you mean...

Early on when EVgo started integrating their "Tesla support" (not just a stock CHAdeMO adapter hanging from a cable), I'd hoped they would have increased the amperage max. Perhaps they have. But admittedly the few times I've charged at one of them, I was using 50 kW chargers - effectively seeing low-mid 40s kW.

OTOH, it is interesting that when Setec came out with their CHAdeMO adapter-emulating CCS adapter, Model S and X were initially seeing > 50 kW at high power CCS sites. But then apparently Tesla made a 'fix' on their side to enforce a limit of 50 kW. I'm guessing 3/Y software drivers already had the limit. So perhaps Tesla didn't want anyone to burn out their 125 amp limited CHAdeMO adapters at higher power stations? This would have the effect of limiting rate to 50 kW no matter if 100 kW were available.

Most of the newly installed EVgo stations can output 200A on CHAdeMO. That is nominally 100kW, but all the CHAdeMO cars are only 400VDC, so you'll never get more than 80kW. If you are charging a Tesla from one of those stations, it will go through a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter and the limit will be 125A or about 48kW.