Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excessive Noise From AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been having this issue with my 2013 Model S since I have purchased my vehicle that I'd like to tap the TMC community about for advice.

In my car, when the A/C runs there is an obtrusive "revving up" noise that starts when you turn on the A/C and stops the second you turn it off. You'll have to turn on then off the A/C about 2 or 3 times to have sound completely go away. It's tough to describe this sound but it is very noticeable in and out of the car and sounds like a turbine.

Also my Model S has an extremely loud and obnoxious Fan noise that occurs most times when the A/C is running. This noise doesn't go away until the car is parked for about 10 or so seconds.

Because of these two issues, it's really embarrassing pulling up beside someone at a red light because the noise is so ridiculous. Most days I just stop using the A/C completely and roll down the windows.

I have asked my Service Center repeatedly about these noises and they continue to claim they're normal. They said they wrapped the A/C motor with noise dampener material but this hasn't done a thing. Am I crazy? I find this hard to believe and really think this is unacceptable for a $100,000+ car. My 1987 Chevy Chevette didn't sound this bad.

My question to my TMC friends is, is this in fact normal? If not, any recommendations as to how to get the Service Center to acknowledge this or to rectify this issue?

My old 911 Porsche had the same fan noise, like an electric leaf blower, including blowing leaves all over the garage. That's just the cooling fan that is required to cool the car (or the A/C condenser in Teslas) when the car is stopped. I had one go out in my old 924 Porsche. I was fine while on the freeway but quickly overheated any time I had to stop.

Many previous posters have been happy when the SvC was able to reroute the A/C compressor lines or fix A/C assembly errors. It may be that your A/C is marginally working but not very efficiently. Check through the threads and insist on a better check by your SvC. A fix might allow your A/C to work more efficiently and quietly.

I made a recording with my phone while having the AC run (at a low setting) on a hot day. At the end (of the file) I turned the AC off: sound file (m4a). Standing next to the car it seems to roar much louder, than standing in front of it. In the cabin it is not that bad, there it is more of a rumble sound.

A16E78E0-E23D-403C-9576-4D4737C705AF.jpeg
I have an annoying grinding noise that happens when my MS AC starts up. I opened the bottom and found that the noise was caused because the glue used to attach a bracket to the frame For one of the ac lines broke. This allowed the lines to drop low enough to rub against a support bracket below. When the AC is running there would be a vibration against the bracket causing the horrible noise. Maybe this isn’t everyone’s problem, but it may be a simple
FIx. I don’t know what glue they used so I need to find out how to glue it back. This issue is located immediately in front of the drivers front tire and accessible easily with removing the shrouds below.i hope this info helps others

My a/c compressor is about as loud and vibrating as a 4cylinder gas engine under the hood. Service center can put an insulating box around it to help but it didn’t make much difference. I get the “that’s normal” every time I complain about it.

My Bolt’s variable speed a/c compressor is almost totally silent and smooth. Maybe Tesla could learn something from GM here.

My 2015 Model S AC is embarrassingly loud, also. A couple of years ago the SC put some sort of sound deadening shroud around it, which seemed to help somewhat. I suspect something changed in the ensuing years; however, as the car is quite loud again. I mentioned it at a recent annual service and Tesla said they tucked more sound deadening material around the compressor and it seems to be somewhat better, but still noticeably loud. Our Model 3 doesn't make such a racket, so something is clearly being done better now.

Reactions: Tforme
Today was the first time I experienced the AC turning on and sounding like a jet engine. Turning it off and back on seems to fix it. I have to go take the car in next week for a door handle replacement anyways, so I'll ask about it, but hope i dont get the "thats normal" treatment.

2015 70D

Reactions: Tforme
Had similar scenario with previous S, and now my X has the same problem. Took it to SC, only to be told the problem was difficult to replicate. I have this theory that the AC fan operates on a MTBF fashion, which it would then sound like a high-pitched banshee when bearings fail (~2 years) . So far my new S hasn't had the malady yet, maybe perhaps I keep the fan speed on manual low to test the theory out .....

I'm having a similar issue. When I first turn on the AC the fan blows fairly loud for the first 10 min. After that it settles down and the fan noise goes away. In addition the condenser makes a noise every 7-10 seconds. This noise does not go away and makes a thud sound as long as the ac is running. its the equivalent a condenser turning on in an ICE vehicle except this happens continuously. SC said its normal but the loaner I drove did not makes this noise. Vehicle has ESA. Going back for another repair, hopefully they can take a look again.

It is "normal" but what Tesla considers "normal" is not acceptable to many of us. Today being an example, when the temps were in the high 80s, the minute I put my butt in the seat the AC compressor would start up and make that dreadful noise. Fortunately, as is almost always my case, by the time I drove about 1/4 mile the noise diminished to the point where I considered it acceptable.