TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Excessive power consumption

Discussion in 'Canada' started by AFGTA, Jul 25, 2018.

1. AFGTA

AFGTA Member

I have noticed in the last 2 days that my 3 has been using more that the normal amount of power on my daily commute. My lifetime average consumption for a little more that 6000 km of driving is 154 wh/km, and generally on any drive my consumption is between 140 and 160 wh/km.

The last 2 days my daily commute has been more like 200 wh/km. None of the parameters of my drive have changed; same route, weather is the same, not carrying any excess weight etc.

In addition, and I guess also related, is that I've been using more than the average amount of range for the commute. I charge to 80% or about 400km range. My round trip commute is about 170km and generally at the end of the day I have about 200km of range. Past 2 days it's been down around 150km, so I'm loosing an additional 50km range somewhere. My normal evening charge is around 2 hours, tonight it's nearly 3 1/2, and I haven't really done any extra driving.

Also, last night I got a notification that charging had been interrupted, so I went to check on things and found that the 60A breaker for the HPWC had tripped. Reset the breaker, had to unplug from the 3 and reset the HPWC before charging would resume.

Wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences?

I'm still on 21.9

Thanks

2. Buggle

Buggle Member

Air conditioning?

3. AFGTA

AFGTA Member

No, don't really think so. I pretty much run the air all the time and we've had far hotter weather in the past weeks than it's been in the last 2 days.

4. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

Could be phantom drain related. I remember hearing 21.9 had intermittent issues with that.

5. trevorc

trevorc Member

Maybe the new Cabin Overheat Protection feature? It does default to on - i.e. it will turn your AC on to keep it at or below 105F. You can either turn it off or tell it not to use AC. It’s under the gear on Safety & Security.

6. Blu Angel

Blu Angel Member

You got me thinking.....
    Last night I parked my Tesla 3 with 67% battery
    This morning it's at 56%!
    Could this be a problem?

Since June 6th, I've driven 7040 km
    Lifetime consumption: 147 Wh/km

I'm still on 21.9. Waiting for OTA upgrade

7. trevorc

trevorc Member

Nevermind - missed that you were still on 21.9 - I got 26.1 up from 21.9 recently so I was able to tweak the new settings.