Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much range loss in 40 degree heat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the weekend I drove my m3 in 40 degree heat Away from Mudgee. The journey was about 70km mostly on the highway. I started with a very hot car that had been in the sun for over an hour. Consumption was 200 Wh/km. My average over 7000 km is 135 Wh/km. What are other people’s experience with such conditions
Geoff

I have just recently driven from Darwin to Cairns & back (M3 poverty pack) with many days over 40 degrees. I did not notice any increase in consumption while driving. Airconditioning was pulling a little more but not much. However getting into a very hot car the Airconditioning does use a few percent cooling the car down initially over the first 5 - 10Klm, and if your trip was only 70Klm I do not doubt the combined was 200Wh/Klm. If plugged in have the car cool down before you depart.

Our only issue with heat was the EVSE overheating and reducing charge rate while charging. Headwinds across the Barkly Highway was a much bigger issue than heat.

On the weekend I drove my m3 in 40 degree heat Away from Mudgee. The journey was about 70km mostly on the highway. I started with a very hot car that had been in the sun for over an hour. Consumption was 200 Wh/km. My average over 7000 km is 135 Wh/km. What are other people’s experience with such conditions
Geoff
As you say, you started with a very hot car. When possible if you can depart with a shaded car that’s had the interior pre-cooled with energy from the power outlet range will be far better. The other factor is the interior temp setting, on a hot day 23C consumes far less battery than 19C.