Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excited and confused

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2016 X and I’m getting my new Y this week. Will the home charger I’ve been using on the X work with the Y? I don’t have a wall charger but a cable charger that came with a 14-50 male plug. As I recall it would carry up to 40 amp charge. I’m now charging at 32 amps. Any reason this wouldn’t work with the Y?

Reactions: powertoold
That will work fine. The Y comes with a mobile charger. However, Tesla sadly no longer includes the 14-50 plug, they only include the regular 15amp wall outlet one. The newer mobile charger is different than the one that came with the 2016 X, so you will need that adapter. You can find a whole collection of adapters on Tesla’s online shop, and they should have some at the Tesla shop when you take delivery.

That will work fine. The Y comes with a mobile charger. However, Tesla sadly no longer includes the 14-50 plug, they only include the regular 15amp wall outlet one. The newer mobile charger is different than the one that came with the 2016 X, so you will need that adapter. You can find a whole collection of adapters on Tesla’s online shop, and they should have some at the Tesla shop when you take delivery.
Thank you so much. Now I can breathe again.

I have 2016 X and I’m getting my new Y this week. Will the home charger I’ve been using on the X work with the Y? I don’t have a wall charger but a cable charger that came with a 14-50 male plug. As I recall it would carry up to 40 amp charge. I’m now charging at 32 amps. Any reason this wouldn’t work with the Y?
is Tesla still delivering MY? When did you order & what configuration?

Well I ordered white on white performance. I’ve been seeing so many deliveries but not with white interior. I called up MDR distribution center and asked if they had any Y's that customer ended up not taking because of economics. The guy says no and I hang up. 5 minutes go buy and they call back and said they located some performance Y's that were available. No white interior on any. So I said I’ll take Midnight Silver performance with Gemini wheels. Black interior. I knew it could be a minimum of 2 months before I would get what I ordered. Also getting FSD. Now it’s coming to MDR this week. They will bring to house and take away my 2016 X with 16500 miles. Beautiful car but I was wanting smaller car like the Y. Live in LA and all the parking stalls are compact. Anyone flexible in performance models give them a call. I ordered in June 2019.

I'd be a little nervous about that. There have been some notable build quality issues on a handful of Model Y's that buyers rejected. The factory hasn't produced anything in 3 weeks and probably all the decent ones out there have been snatched up. What's left may be the rejects. Give a good look over of the car before they leave.

later build numbers are no guarantee - you see build quality issues (at times) even with the model 3 that is now 3 model years in. Tesla seems to let a lot of stuff slide as far as quality control when it involves cosmetic or paint issues. They also seem to have issues at times with damage that occurs to the vehicle during transport.

I have 2016 X and I’m getting my new Y this week. Will the home charger I’ve been using on the X work with the Y?

That will work fine. The Y comes with a mobile charger. However, Tesla sadly no longer includes the 14-50 plug, they only include the regular 15amp wall outlet one. The newer mobile charger is different than the one that came with the 2016 X, so you will need that adapter.

So, November... to clarify, does OP even need to use his MY mobile charger? Can’t he just plug into the one he uses for MX? I know he may want both plugged in at the same time... but if, not, aren’t they essentially interchangeable on a 240? Just curious. Thx.

I'd be a little nervous about that. There have been some notable build quality issues on a handful of Model Y's that buyers rejected. The factory hasn't produced anything in 3 weeks and probably all the decent ones out there have been snatched up. What's left may be the rejects. Give a good look over of the car before they leave.

It’s all subjective when it comes to build “quality”. That being said, I find these kinds of comments funny. Yes I empathize that we are paying for a 50k+ person mover which also doubles as a status symbol. However, “ notable build quality” IMHO is NOT paint bubbles unless they are causing reception issues with the vehicles internet connectivity. For me a notable defect is something like windows falling off their tracks or hazard lights being defective.

So far I see a bunch of first world complainers. My paint bubbled. My headline has a strain from a dirty hand, there is a scratch from transport. Boo hoo!!! You got a car during a GD global pandemic!!! Millions out of work, waiting in line for food stamps and people complaining about their new car has a paint defect. 10 million Americans would trade places with that situation in a heartbeat.

So, November... to clarify, does OP even need to use his MY mobile charger? Can’t he just plug into the one he uses for MX? I know he may want both plugged in at the same time... but if, not, aren’t they essentially interchangeable on a 240? Just curious. Thx.
So I think NovemberXray said I can use existing charger. I hope that’s what he said. He said if I use new charger I have to buy 14-50 plug for cable charger.

Reactions: JATinNH
It’s all subjective when it comes to build “quality”. That being said, I find these kinds of comments funny. Yes I empathize that we are paying for a 50k+ person mover which also doubles as a status symbol. However, “ notable build quality” IMHO is NOT paint bubbles unless they are causing reception issues with the vehicles internet connectivity. For me a notable defect is something like windows falling off their tracks or hazard lights being defective.

So far I see a bunch of first world complainers. My paint bubbled. My headline has a strain from a dirty hand, there is a scratch from transport. Boo hoo!!! You got a car during a GD global pandemic!!! Millions out of work, waiting in line for food stamps and people complaining about their new car has a paint defect. 10 million Americans would trade places with that situation in a heartbeat.
I agree with this 100%. That said it’s curious how number 75 just shows up.

I bet the same Tesla apologists who try to shame those who complain about Tesla’s continuing paint and cosmetic issues would be raising holy hell if their new leather couch was delivered with marks, blemishes, scratches and dimples. But somehow its A-OK on a $50k purchase.

Reactions: FredMertz
Yeah because before Covid we lived in a perfect utopia where everyone in the world had a job and no one starved. Just go through life accepting whatever crap sandwich you get cause someone else always has it much worse.

Reactions: FredMertz
I don't think the quality issue is due to the pandemic, rather Tesla rushing to get Q1 numbers. Some of the quality defects are very disappointing. As far as the panel alignment and paint imperfection goes, I think Tesla owners on this forum are focused much more on this than most car buyers. After seeing all if the issues, I looked carefully at my $80K F450. I've enjoyed this vehicle three years without noticing that it has similar build quality as far as panel alignment and paint imperfections as most of the Model Y pictures I've seen.

Broken seat backs, interior clips, cameras not plugged in, dirt on the headliner, etc. are a different story. To me, these defects show a general focus on speed over quality. I'm glad that I won't get my first Tesla for at least a few months, because I'm concerned that the lack of build care might extend into critical components that aren't so visible.

Yeah because before Covid we lived in a perfect utopia where everyone in the world had a job and no one starved. Just go through life accepting whatever crap sandwich you get cause someone else always has it much worse.

No utopia prior TO COVID but 17 million Americans alone recently filed for unemployment. Quite a few TMC cxl their order and lots of talk about covid in investors section. You’re either ignorant, stupid or both. It’s a PANDEMIC! Prior to covid these complaints are still trivial. people so miserable they complain about the gifts they get to enjoy. Zero gratitude and never able to be happy. SAD. Enjoy your cars and stop bitching! That’s my plan.

Well I ordered white on white performance. I’ve been seeing so many deliveries but not with white interior. I called up MDR distribution center and asked if they had any Y's that customer ended up not taking because of economics. The guy says no and I hang up. 5 minutes go buy and they call back and said they located some performance Y's that were available. No white interior on any. So I said I’ll take Midnight Silver performance with Gemini wheels. Black interior. I knew it could be a minimum of 2 months before I would get what I ordered. Also getting FSD. Now it’s coming to MDR this week. They will bring to house and take away my 2016 X with 16500 miles. Beautiful car but I was wanting smaller car like the Y. Live in LA and all the parking stalls are compact. Anyone flexible in performance models give them a call. I ordered in June 2019.

Just curious, how much are they offering for the model x? Is is AP2 or AP1?

No utopia prior TO COVID but 17 million Americans alone recently filed for unemployment. Quite a few TMC cxl their order and lots of talk about covid in investors section. You’re either ignorant, stupid or both. It’s a PANDEMIC! Prior to covid these complaints are still trivial. people so miserable they complain about the gifts they get to enjoy. Zero gratitude and never able to be happy. SAD. Enjoy your cars and stop bitching! That’s my plan.

Are you telling me if you went to pick up your brand new car and there was a massive dent in the hood you would just say "wow this is a great car, I'm so blessed to have it. Thank you Tesla!". I doubt you would. I'm sure you would say "umm why is there a big dent in my hood? You guys are going to fix that right?"

Nothing wrong with what these people are doing. Their expectations were not met, and they are voicing their concern about it to other like minded people who are thinking of purchasing, or already own their same vehicle.

Oh, so your contribution to the 17 million unemployed is that you won’t complain of paint defects when you pick up your new $50k Tesla but instead enjoy it to the fullest? How noble of you - I’m sure those without jobs will be overjoyed you made that personal sacrifice.