Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Executive Stretch Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm 99.99% sure Elon is only talking about changing the rear seating area with no outside physical changes to the car. Any thought of stretching the S at this point in time makes no sense at all IMO.

I disagree... Look at the market for China... Audi sells long wheel base versions of both the A4 and A6 that are not sold in the US or Europe. Likewise BMW sells lwb versions of the 5 and 3 (which is new...). I'm in Shanghai for work this week and saw a 525Li on my way in to work this morning -- and the extra length in the rear door is noticeable. Tesla will be competing with those cars (as well as the MB S, A8 and 7 series) -- so expect a subtle stretch of the S -- probably about 4-5 inches, all in the rear door and legroom area.

These are mostly for additional legroom in the rear though -- so I wouldn't expect the Lexus/Maybach ottoman thing...

It's not a simple thing to change the length of a vehicle in production, especially not for a small company like Tesla that is struggling to meet demand and ramp up production. A bunch of new stamping dies would have to be built and integrated into the production line, along with the existing ones. Maybe someday they'll stretch the S, but frankly I think they would be insane to even think about doing something like that now or in the near term, and I don't think they are insane. It seems to me if the back seat is so important in China then the Model X would be the most appropriate vehicle for that market. Take out the third row, move the back seat back a bit, and you should have plenty of room.

Last edited:
. It seems to me if the back seat is so important in China then the Model X would be the most appropriate vehicle for that market. Take out the third row, move the back seat back a bit, and you should have plenty of room.

Totally agree this would be a better / easier idea. It depends if that market would accept a crossover as an executive car.

Is there a special version of the Mercedes S-Class for China?
Well, there is indeed a long version of the S class. Both long and normal versions are available in all markets but the Chinese market strongly prefers the long one. So much so that while usually, the normal version was developed first and the long version was derived from it, this time around Mercedes did the core development for the long version and derived the normal version from it. It is said that this was done because China is becoming Mercedes most important market.

Well, there is indeed a long version of the S class. Both long and normal versions are available in all markets but the Chinese market strongly prefers the long one. So much so that while usually, the normal version was developed first and the long version was derived from it, this time around Mercedes did the core development for the long version and derived the normal version from it. It is said that this was done because China is becoming Mercedes most important market.

The WSJ ran this article last week about "Beijing Benz" -- the local JV that manufactures MB cars in China: Mercedes-Benz Won't Soon Fix China Business - WSJ.com China is an important market for all makes -- but it sounds like Daimler is playing catch-up a bit...

Interestingly, that plant produces the current C, GLK and E-class. They only make the E-class in the long wheel base version, which is not sold in other countries. China's tastes will drive car design going forward -- its now the largest car market in the world...