Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ExFat to Fat32 - TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I have just plugged in my SanDisk High Endurance 128gb card and have gone to format this as Fat32. When I do this, the options come as NTFS and ExFat, ie no Fat32 option. How do I format this drive as Fat32 or is Exfat ok for TeslaCam?

Hi, I have just plugged in my SanDisk High Endurance 128gb card and have gone to format this as Fat32. When I do this, the options come as NTFS and ExFat, ie no Fat32 option. How do I format this drive as Fat32 or is Exfat ok for TeslaCam?

PC (also has Mac instructions)? Use option 3 here - it also has the advantage of allowing you to check the real drive size to do a rudimentary check it is not a fake (small cards sold as larger cards) and its the only method that I have used that recovered a totally dead card - good old windows repairedcorrupted it beyond normal methods of repair. Up until using that method, I had a few recurring niggles with TeslaCam - occasional zero length files etc.

upload_2020-3-5_7-36-13.png

Does this look right to you @VanillaAir_UK ?

Edit: When I go to access it, it comes up with a prompt to format the drive??

Does this look right to you @VanillaAir_UK ?

Edit: When I go to access it, it comes up with a prompt to format the drive??

Had you actually formatted it at this stage? If so, what method?

I don't know where you sourced your card from, but worth doing a rudimentary quick size test (aka fake card test) prior to use. I got mine from Amazon/Amazon rather than Amazon/Marketplace and it was fine and iirc Amazon are on Sandisk official sellers.

This card was in use for nearly 2 months between end Nov and Early Jan

upload_2020-3-5_8-18-27.png

And as this has reminded me its probably time to rotate the cards, the same card after a format using the option 3 above. Fat32 seems to like occasionally being reformatted.

RMPrep AKA 'option 3' Preparing your Drive – Tesla Dashcam Advice, Recommendations and more! took a few seconds to format using these options - 128GB Sandisk Endurance.

upload_2020-3-5_8-29-54.png

Gives this - don't forget to add TeslaCam folder!

upload_2020-3-5_8-32-9.png

FAT32 is ubuquitous as it has always been available and fully documented. Until recently exFAT was patented and closed so couldn't be implemented by others.

exFAT only got freed up to be legally put in the linux kernel in version 5.4 after microsoft released the spec (and a promise not to enforce their patents), that went stable in November.. add in time it takes for testing and qualifying everything under a new kernel and Tesla are going pretty fast really.

FAT32 is ubuquitous as it has always been available and fully documented. Until recently exFAT was patented and closed so couldn't be implemented by others.

exFAT only got freed up to be legally put in the linux kernel in version 5.4 after microsoft released the spec (and a promise not to enforce their patents), that went stable in November.. add in time it takes for testing and qualifying everything under a new kernel and Tesla are going pretty fast really.
Well that explains it then. Thanks a lot, it now makes total sense

Does having exFAT make it easier to format the drives or is there some other benefit?

As far as I understand it, FAT32 is a technology that has been around since the 1970s, so it is very well known by all systems, and therefore very good at avoiding any incompatibility issues.

However, because it is so old, it struggles with large file sizes (as it was never envisioned that files / drives would get to be so large!) and therefore other technology has come along (eg NTFS exFAT etc.). But these Technologies are, I think, owned by Microsoft and therefore there are license implications to using them, Which is why, I think, Tesla don't. I think it also explains why Windows (and certainly Windows 10) only wants you to format to NTFS or exFAT.

Bottom line is FAT32 used by Tesla is super-compatible with other devices, and that is why I think they are using it.

Hope the above is correct - it is certainly how I understand things !

Unless you already have audio on a separate drive/partition, sounds like they may now allow audio on same partition as TeslaCam.

I personally run my audio (full 128GB card) from a dedicated separate drive (dual card reader) so it is immune from any TeslaCam issues. Not sure if I would change that if it could be shared especially with such a full audio drive.

like others say, can't format a disk to FAT32 is because Windows does not allow to format a disk over 32GB to FAT32. But actually, you have another option to do it, to employ a third-party formatting tool, here, i recommend AOMEI Partition Assistant, which is a comprehensive and all-round FAT32 format tool for Windows operating system. It can help you to complete these operations quickly and simply.
In its main interface, right click on the disk you want to format,and choose "Format Partition".

Step 2.And choose the file system you want.

Step 3 click "Apply" > "Proceed" in the main interface.
The whole operation is very easy and quick