Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SSD and formatting for Dash Cam / Sentry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

whats the latest/best for formatting a SSD drive for dashcam/sentry mode (i.e. exFAT/NTFS/FAT32 etc ) as i note there have been several updates to the car which has knocked some formats out.

is it best to format a new SSD via the car with the drive plugged into the glovebox, or on a PC?

thanks in advance

I formatted my SSD in 2019 on a Mac ... there was no option to format in the car at that time. It's continued to work fine ever since. I am pretty sure I used FAT32 and split for Music and Dashcam. I've no experience of the data-less USB cars with the sole remaining option in the glovebox.

I was having problems with a Samsung T7 and changed to different one, 2 things that I have noticed.
1. The usb cable that I used for the Samsung was causing it to be as slow as the Tesla Usb flash drive. Can't remember what happened to the supplied cable but wanted a shorter cable.
2. The car now reformats with ExFat.

Since changing the cable, I have also created 2 partitions. One for music and the the other for teslacam. Now it seems to be working without any trouble.

It was only the other day i posted a topic on just this subject. My car does format the T7 SSD drive and names the drive TESLADRIVE - but it fails to create a folder called TeslaCam - so it wouldn't work.

My solution was to connect to my computer - format the drive ExFat then create a folder TeslaCam - it all then works fine.

It was only the other day i posted a topic on just this subject. My car does format the T7 SSD drive and names the drive TESLADRIVE - but it fails to create a folder called TeslaCam - so it wouldn't work.

My solution was to connect to my computer - format the drive ExFat then create a folder TeslaCam - it all then works fine.
It doesn't create the folder on a ssd ,but selecting format on the supplied USB stick works.

• Create an exFAT partition named TESLADRIVE with folders named TeslaCam and TeslaTrackMode
  • Create an exFAT partition named whatever with folders Music and Boombox (Boombox still works???!)
  • Create a very small FAT32 partition (can be <<100Mb) with a folder named LightShow
Do we really need three partitions? Since each has its own folder, wouldn't it work on a single partition?

Reactions: SignalX