Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Existing Model Y orders are now editable on Tesla site.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I just tried to switch my wheels from sports to aero. It wants to change my order into the new pricing. Instead of $1500 cheaper it is only $500. I guess I'm keeping the sports wheels.

Maybe you should talk to Tesla about this? I ordered after the pricing changes so it doesn't affect me but it would be good to know what happens if prices were to go up AGAIN.

Maybe you should talk to Tesla about this? I ordered after the pricing changes so it doesn't affect me but it would be good to know what happens if prices were to go up AGAIN.

I tweeted to Elon and Twitter about this. Seems pretty unfair. I doubt if I call Tesla they will do anything, pretty sure they did this on purpose for all the people who pre ordered before the price increased.

@deekortiz3 No. Order number didn’t change. Don’t forget Tesla isn’t classifying these as reservations. They do have a warning that price and timing of your orders may change if you edit your order, but I think that’s in reference to the specific to the options you choose, and not that your “place in line” is being changed.

At this point my biggest question is are Tesla prioritizing orders by existing owners, since there hasn’t been any indication of that in the order process so far.

@deekortiz3 No. Order number didn’t change. Don’t forget Tesla isn’t classifying these as reservations. They do have a warning that price and timing of your orders may change if you edit your order, but I think that’s in reference to the specific to the options you choose, and not that your “place in line” is being changed.

At this point my biggest question is are Tesla prioritizing orders by existing owners, since there hasn’t been any indication of that in the order process so far.

Good points, I'm hoping having an early reservation and being near the Fremont factory will be a good combination but if they do end up giving existing owners priority then I guess that won't matter. We shall see!

Tesla has to realize that not only are they keeping people from changing to something cheaper, but also keeping somome from upgrading to something more expensive . This will cost them especially for people who maybe deciding to go with FSD. It just a software upgrade so pretty much cost Tesla nothing since the hardware are installed in the car already. That's pure profit.

I cancelled my Model Y order this week, due to a culmination of things that I perceive as silly from Tesla. The change of the base price for existing orders, with a modification to options, was the final straw for me.

I’ve been wanting to buy a Tesla for about four years, waiting for a more affordable CUV/SUV than the Model X. I stayed up all night for the preview and while I was disappointed with the overall presentation, I felt compelled to “get a place in line” and put my $2500 down. After that, having no ability to get details such as ground clearance estimates or simple feature questions answered just annoyed me. After all, they have a price and started taking “orders” with deposits - why shouldn’t consumers expect answers and details in exchange for placing an order? It wasn’t a “express interest” list like other car manufacturers do until they’re ready to distribute full and accurate info on the vehicle before starting sales.

I’m still rooting for Tesla and think the Model Y will be a great vehicle. It just left a bad taste in my mouth for them not allowing any edits to the orders until after the prices went up, then not having a way to change options without incurring the base price increase.

I’ll be watching from the sidelines and waiting until the vehicle info and actual product is available to see before jumping back in the Tesla pool.

• Funny
Reactions: preilly44
I cancelled my Model Y order this week, due to a culmination of things that I perceive as silly from Tesla. The change of the base price for existing orders, with a modification to options, was the final straw for me.

I’ve been wanting to buy a Tesla for about four years, waiting for a more affordable CUV/SUV than the Model X. I stayed up all night for the preview and while I was disappointed with the overall presentation, I felt compelled to “get a place in line” and put my $2500 down. After that, having no ability to get details such as ground clearance estimates or simple feature questions answered just annoyed me. After all, they have a price and started taking “orders” with deposits - why shouldn’t consumers expect answers and details in exchange for placing an order? It wasn’t a “express interest” list like other car manufacturers do until they’re ready to distribute full and accurate info on the vehicle before starting sales.

I’m still rooting for Tesla and think the Model Y will be a great vehicle. It just left a bad taste in my mouth for them not allowing any edits to the orders until after the prices went up, then not having a way to change options without incurring the base price increase.

I’ll be watching from the sidelines and waiting until the vehicle info and actual product is available to see before jumping back in the Tesla pool.

Get a Model 3 with $3,750 in tax credit and sell it when the Y shakes out.

The right timing for a person's first Tesla is TODAY.

I'm fairly experienced with Tesla ownership now and I have no hesitation at getting a low end Model 3 for my wife to replace our Volt lease to see how the Y shakes out.

Agreed. If anyone was truly worried about the $1000 price hike on new/adjusted orders, the safe thing to do would have been to cancel and reorder before the price went up.

Mine was honest indecision. I thought I needed 7 seats, but in the end we need a much bigger vehicle as a 7 seat road-tripper. So while I still want the Model Y for it's higher ride height and hatch, we may look at the VW EV Microbus in a few years for our long range trip needs.

So if I get to keep my place in line and "loose" $1000 for my wavering, so be it. I'll get my car 6 months sooner, and payments on a lease would cost me more than that.

Agreed. If anyone was truly worried about the $1000 price hike on new/adjusted orders, the safe thing to do would have been to cancel and reorder before the price went up..
That's nonsensical. The order screen gives ZERO indication that you'll have any issues editing your order, it clearly says "Your design can be modified after ordering." No warnings of possibly adding to the base price of the car that was agreed upon.
Also, most people in the forums weren't even expecting an increase to the Y pricing, as the Y event had a price guide listed. A little odd to change the prices that fast on a future-product. The other stuff on the site, of course.
And where's it say you'll be refunded instantly. I'd of expected to need to float $5k to have managed that while waiting on the refund.