Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exiting highway to supercharge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it make my trip more expensive if I have to exit a highway half way to supercharge?
Sorry for late reply. Yes it will be more expensive to exit a highway and enter it again to visit Superchargers, with exceptions.

First, for example, if you start traveling Tohoku Expressway from Urawa to Sendai-Minami, it is 322km and 7310yen.
If you exit at Sano-Fujioka, #1 segment 50.2km, 1800yen, and #2 segment 271.8km, 6150yen. So total would be 7950yen so 640yen more expensive. However, there are "some" exceptions.

If you have ETC 2.0 transmitter (it's more expensive), at the following highway exits, you can re-enter the highway without increasing the charge.
道の駅│ETC総合情報ポータルサイト
So, "Sano SA" is not included, so you have to pay separetely, from Urawa to Sano-SA, and Sano-SA to Sendai-Minami. If you use Kan-etsu Expressway, "Takasaki-Tamamura" is one of such highway exits AND has Tesla Supercharger. Also, these exits are not regular exits - they are called Smart Interchange (Smart ICs) and you need to actually stop at the toll gate. I like Smart ICs, because the connecting lamps are much shorter. However Smart ICs are usually located within SA/PAs (service plazas) so you need to go through the plaza then on to the exit. It is especially problematic if the plaza is very crowded.

For example, "Sano-Fujioka" is such an exit - it is close to the outlet mall, so on Saturdays and Sundays, there will be a line at the exit lane. In such a case, you can pass Sano Fujioka and use Sano-SA Smart IC then drive to the Supercharger.
Edit: the last sentence was wrong so deleted.

Confusing...

Last edited:
In such a case, you can pass Sano Fujioka and use Sano-SA Smart IC then drive to the Supercharger. In this case if you have ETC 2.0, you'll be billed from Urawa to Sendai-Minami (no additional charges).
No. No. Wrong!

道の駅│ETC総合情報ポータルサイト
The ETC2.0 and Michino-Eki special discount trial is for very limited IC'S, and the Sano-SA Smart IC is NOT eligible for the special trial ones.

Yoshi@Japan

• Funny
Reactions: JayInJapan