Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD? while Tesla can't make basic keep lane right.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday on highway. rightest lane exit only lane, 2nd right lane exit or continue current highway. My model 3 which has FSD on was on 2nd from rightest lane, exit the highway which navigate indicate continue current highway. Exited to another highway and took me 20 minutes to get back on right route.
This is stupid. My wife wont allow me to use autopilot any more.

• Disagree
Reactions: APotatoGod
My car is usually over-zealous about getting out of right lanes "to follow route", even when it doesn't have to, so I haven't really seen this behavior because if I let it do its thing it probably would have already been over a lane or two.

However, this illustrates why we should be extra vigilant when it comes to monitoring FSD/NoA behavior. The car should have given you warning with the turn signal (and/or steering wheel shake/chime) that it was planning on taking the exit, so that you could cancel the action and not take your detour.

We have a scenario here that I take all the time. It's not quite the same as what you are describing, but similar:

1693918252948.png

I am normally going to the "left" (or straight here), but if I am going to the right, the car will almost always try to get in the far right lane. But when I am going straight, it handles this no problem, and in fact puts the LEFT blinker on to indicate that it is going straight here (and not right).

This is probably more like what you are describing:
1693918484685.png

but the lane markings are the essentially the same. (This is what I am talking about the car wanting to get into one of the left lanes).

What do your lane markings look like at the given interchange? Are they different enough such that maybe the car thought it had to exit even though it didn't intend to?

Did the car not use its turn indicator? If it did and you somehow missed it, then maybe your wife is right that you should not be using autopilot as it does take constant monitoring.

Reactions: zoomer0056
My car is usually over-zealous about getting out of right lanes "to follow route", even when it doesn't have to, so I haven't really seen this behavior because if I let it do its thing it probably would have already been over a lane or two.

However, this illustrates why we should be extra vigilant when it comes to monitoring FSD/NoA behavior. The car should have given you warning with the turn signal (and/or steering wheel shake/chime) that it was planning on taking the exit, so that you could cancel the action and not take your detour.

We have a scenario here that I take all the time. It's not quite the same as what you are describing, but similar:

View attachment 971153
I am normally going to the "left" (or straight here), but if I am going to the right, the car will almost always try to get in the far right lane. But when I am going straight, it handles this no problem, and in fact puts the LEFT blinker on to indicate that it is going straight here (and not right).

This is probably more like what you are describing:
View attachment 971155
but the lane markings are the essentially the same. (This is what I am talking about the car wanting to get into one of the left lanes).

What do your lane markings look like at the given interchange? Are they different enough such that maybe the car thought it had to exit even though it didn't intend to?

Did the car not use its turn indicator? If it did and you somehow missed it, then maybe your wife is right that you should not be using autopilot as it does take constant monitoring.

Thanks for detailed explanation, in my interaction, the lane 2nd from the right could either go straight to flow the current highway or exit to another highway without dot line in between. Autopilot should always follow what navigation tells it to do. BTW as no dot line, the autopilot did not give me any signals.

I was thinking the same. Driver assist features aren't as smart as some think they are to handle all the different ways a single scenario can be marked. The driver should be aware, attentive and is still in control.

Reactions: TresLA
I was thinking the same. Driver assist features aren't as smart as some think they are to handle all the different ways a single scenario can be marked. The driver should be aware, attentive and is still in control.
I don't have enough time react while it makes mistakes. The situation like this was happening five years ago while I purchased this Model 3 and 5 years later with Musk near to announce FSD official release this kind of basic function still not working.

But my wife's suggestion now is to cancel my Y on order. ops
Can you buy the Y but not the FSD option? Plain free AP is pretty good, usually, at least on long freeway drives. You never have that problem above on AP because you have to take all exits manually anyway.

It does have issues at merges when a lane is ending, but I just cancel and drive those myself.

Smaller roads and cities, just don't use free AP, it's not intended for those, and has a lot of gaps it can't handle.

save $12k by not getting FSD! (you can always add it later if you are ever convinced it is worth it).

Can you buy the Y but not the FSD option? Plain free AP is pretty good, usually, at least on long freeway drives. You never have that problem above on AP because you have to take all exits manually anyway.

It does have issues at merges when a lane is ending, but I just cancel and drive those myself.

Smaller roads and cities, just don't use free AP, it's not intended for those, and has a lot of gaps it can't handle.

save $12k by not getting FSD! (you can always add it later if you are ever convinced it is worth it).
I am transferring FSD to my Y, and never paid that much for FSD anyway . Perhaps, I need turn off FSD and just use AP until FSD become more mature.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Or even in the same drive. If you just turn off fsdb while driving, you have to stop to re-engage so two profiles works best on longer drives where you might want to switch back and forth between FSDb and AP. Especially if you want the map for navigation.

I use the second profile to switch to an AP-only mode when I want to keep autosteer/TACC, but want to get rid of lousy FSD behavior such as wanting to get into the left lane on highways with at-grade intersections. Since I may go from that kind of highway to a limited access highway in the same drive, it's helpful to be able to switch back and forth easily.