Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exoskeleton body repair cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had new counter tops installed in our new kitchen, the installer scratched not super deep my new stainless steel stove, was we upset! He said no problem, he’ll said fix it. Within a few seconds with some emery paper(?) he got it out with no evidence. Just to show, if they have the skill, they can fix the scratches, I assume if it’s not super deep.

I collect watches, and many watch cases/brackets are made of 301 Stainless Steel. I have been polishing 301 SS for years, and I could tell that 301 SS shows scratches easily.

stainless_steel_.jpg

I’m not sure that’s valid here. Stainless steel “work hardens”. If they truly roll it 30 times, the surface may be much tougher and harder than the non-rolled 301 stainless steel watch cases you have. I’d like to see an expert in work hardening stainless steels weigh in.

It would crumple in front or rear collisions that have a lot more energy than a sledgehammer. Rigidity in side collisions is important for passenger safety because there isn’t much room to collapse without causing harm. Teslas top safety ratings in side impact are helped by the rigidity of the battery pack.
Am really curious to see how this vehicle will fare in crash testing. There has to be “give” all the way around to prevent the occupants from being subjected to too much energy. Think of a pebble inside of maracas. I know it is a big truck, but it still needs to absorb and dissipate energy.
Am sure they are designing the safest truck in the world, as is Tesla’s signature. Will be interesting how they achieve that with such hard panels. And how they align with pedestrian safety standards worldwide (If you ever wondered why cars have big, high hoods now, that is why. They build in empty space for the hood to absorb a pedestrian impact).