Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience with Emergency Lights??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Chasedrgc1223

Nearly Insane
Apr 8, 2015
NJ
I've been a very happy owner of an 85D for about three months, and being a volunteer firefighter, I'd like to rig up my Model S with emergency lights. Has anyone had any experience with how and where one would hook up and position the lights? At the minimum, I'd like a simple Blue-White courtesy light at the top of the windshield, but where could I get it wired to?

I'm in a similar boat. I ended up just going with a dash light that is suctioned to the windshield and nothing in back. I was able to tuck the wire under the dash without removing anything. I will tell you, if you really slam the pedal down, and have an iPhone 6 in the slot below the screen, it can actually fly out and hit the switch on the plug, turning on the blue light. It is repeatable, but not recommended (unless the call is a fully involved structure fire at your residence, of course!).

Also, if you ever need to leave them running on scene to prevent getting creamed you need to leave the fob in the car, put it in neutral and engage the parking break. Sort of a pain, and it does turn off eventually.

If you want to hard wire you should be able to pop off the nosecone and get access to the low voltage battery. I didn't want to put holes in things, so didn't go that direction.

[video]https://youtu.be/e3r3DRVWzSQ[/video]

Last edited:
I've been a very happy owner of an 85D for about three months, and being a volunteer firefighter, I'd like to rig up my Model S with emergency lights. Has anyone had any experience with how and where one would hook up and position the lights? At the minimum, I'd like a simple Blue-White courtesy light at the top of the windshield, but where could I get it wired to?

I can't remember which member, but there is a police officer on the forum that had lights installed in his Model S. I suspect its not much different than any other vehicle installations. If you can find one that works off the 12v supply in a car, TLiving has a writeup on how to use the ODB-II port for unswitched 12v power and run the wire behind panels and the headliner. http://teslaliving.net/2015/01/14/how-to-add-a-constant-12v-power-supply-to-your-model-s/

If you have need for the 12v power point in the console to stay on 24/7 without the need for the car to be on, You can replace the passenger side front relay in fuse box 2 with a jumper. Simply make up a 1 inch 14-12 gauge wire with two male 1/4" spade connectors. Unplug the relay and insert the jumper in the two 1/4" female receptacles. Done!

I know this is an old thread, but I want to revisit this.

I am considering installing a full size light bar on the back of the roof (solar roof), hooked up to the mount points for a roof rack (somehow). Do anyone have any pictures or experience they would like to share?

If I am getting one it would be a STL K-Force Micro, don't know what size that would fit best yet.