Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience with Juicebox?

neutrino

Mar 2, 2020
Wenatchee, WA
Anyone have experiences -- good or bad -- installing or charging with a Juicebox?

Some specific questions:

1) Evidently the Juicebox app lets you set the charging percentage. That must only work with dumber cars (Leaf?); surely it won't override the Tesla's max percentage set by the driver?

2) The Juicebox "Green" software upgrade ($50) lets you charge when the carbon emissions on the grid are lowest. This seems awesome, but I can't find screenshots/examples of how this works:

JuiceNet Green Upgrade | Enel X

Eskimo YoYo

Jan 15, 2021
Earth
I put one together some years ago for my 1st volt. It was alright but I did have an issue that required a replacement. The replacement some issues but worked alright. The orange cable I brought with it wasn’t too flexible and didn’t stand up to sunlight well. I think I’ll be looking for a better alternative this time around.

MY-Y

Mar 4, 2020
MD
One of my EV connectors is a JuiceBox, my other is a Gen 3 HPWC. The JuiceBox has a heavier gauge cord (the Gen 3 gets quite warm), a great app interface, and has been reliable the three years I've had it. For a Tesla, the down side is needing the adapter and the 40 amp max.

jeffbco

Jun 7, 2020
Austin, TX
One of my EV connectors is a JuiceBox, my other is a Gen 3 HPWC. The JuiceBox has a heavier gauge cord (the Gen 3 gets quite warm), a great app interface, and has been reliable the three years I've had it. For a Tesla, the down side is needing the adapter and the 40 amp max.
I've also had great experience with my JuiceBox 40. I have an extra J1772 "permanently" attached so it's just like having a Tesla cable. Also, I don't find that the difference between 48 amps and 40 amps creates any issues for me.

• Helpful
Reactions: neutrino

Big Earl

bnkwupt
Jul 12, 2017
Springfield, VA
Anyone have experiences -- good or bad -- installing or charging with a Juicebox?

Some specific questions:

1) Evidently the Juicebox app lets you set the charging percentage. That must only work with dumber cars (Leaf?); surely it won't override the Tesla's max percentage set by the driver?

2) The Juicebox "Green" software upgrade ($50) lets you charge when the carbon emissions on the grid are lowest. This seems awesome, but I can't find screenshots/examples of how this works:

JuiceNet Green Upgrade | Enel X

I’ve had a Juicebox for a few years that I use to charge our Fiat 500e.

The Juicebox’s feature set isn’t very intelligent. In other words, it doesn’t communicate with the car to determine state of charge or anything else like that.

With that in mind, the max charge function isn’t very useful. You can set it to a certain limit, but you also have to tell it what the starting point is, otherwise it will assume you’re starting from 0%.

From what I can tell, the green charging utility only works in some areas of California. I don’t think you’ll see any benefit from that in Washington.

My personal recommendation would be to install a Tesla Wall Connector unless you need something with J-1772 to charge a non-Tesla EV. If you need/prefer J-1772, the Juicebox is a nice option.

Here is a screenshot of the Juicebox’s charging screen. We plugged it in with 80-something percent but didn’t tell the Juicebox what the car’s SOC was. As such, it assumed 0 and now thinks the car is up to 7%, when it’s actually closer to 90%.

65610C8C-E166-4B19-AD0D-42B99E2EF224.png

• Helpful
Reactions: neutrino

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC