Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Explain As If I'm Five: Could TSLA offer long term M3 rentals if there are HW upgrades every 18 mos?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct. My suggestion was to return my used car back to their pool for use for car sharing or other purposes. So, my overall take away is that even though the technology for cars is advancing at a breakneck pace, the means for paying for them will never change. Ever.
That is not the take I reached. The take I reached is that there is no free lunch. You can have a similar program as you suggested (see the Cadillac example), but it will not be inexpensive. If you want the latest and greatest, you have to pay up.

Reactions: tomas
Thanks all for the feedback. Even though it's rather costly, I like where Cadillac and Audi are going with their car rental services ...... But for now, I think I'll hold off on my M3 purchase until the 2G comes out and then trade up every 18-24 mos. It feels kinda like playing double-dutch -- skipping in and skipping out at the best possible moment.....

Correct. My suggestion was to return my used car back to their pool for use for car sharing or other purposes.

All right, let me rephrase then. What do *you* value the car at, when you want to get rid of it? Since it is obsolete, you clearly don't think it is worth much. Subtract that value from what you were willing to pay for it, add 30% markup, divide by 18, and that is what you will need to pay per month. Buying, leasing or renting, it will all amount to the same cost. Tesla has no incentive to make a special deal for you just because you want the latest technology, in fact just the opposite. Typically, companies see people like you as a gravy train to be milked for every penny.

Thank you kindly

• Informative
Reactions: Shawn Snider
It seems to me you just want to lease the cars, and as long as you have the cash for that, it's a great plan. Just as long as you aren't also posting on threads asking for the best way to save enough cash to pay for one in the first place!

More importantly, where did you get that great Fiat car cover!

All right, let me rephrase then. What do *you* value the car at, when you want to get rid of it? Since it is obsolete, you clearly don't think it is worth much. Subtract that value from what you were willing to pay for it, add 30% markup, divide by 18, and that is what you will need to pay per month. Buying, leasing or renting, it will all amount to the same cost. Tesla has no incentive to make a special deal for you just because you want the latest technology, in fact just the opposite. Typically, companies see people like you as a gravy train to be milked for every penny.

Thank you kindly

Actually I'm not looking for a special deal. I just don't want to have to go through the hassle of trading in my car every 18 mos in order to avail myself of the latest TSLA technology. Unless, that is, trading in my car every 18 months would not be a hassle. It would be a breeze right?

I currently have my M3 reservation and now this planned obsolescence scenario kinda confuses me. Why buy a 1G M3 now when there's a better 2G, 3G, 4G down the road? Why can't TSLA just offer a long term payment plan like ATT's Next where I can upgrade every 12-24 months indefinitely? Buying a new car every 18 months would be a pain and leasing long term would be even more expensive. Thoughts?

Actually, for Model S/X the current mode of operation are significant changes every quarter. Q2 was facelift, Q3 was P100D drivetrain, Q4 was AP2, Q1 was 100D drivetrain etc. And there have been many smaller changes (e.g. in free unlimited Supercharging and introduction and removal of new features like glass roof, 5-seat Model X, ventilated seats removal).

If Model 3 were to follow suit, with the long delivery times, it is possible your car is an old model before you even receive it. Many Model S/X owners have been hit with this dilemma.

It is quite unlike any technology product I can think of. If you buy an iPhone when it is new, it will be the latest and greatest iPhone for a year. Same with most cars with their model years. With Tesla, order a car, wait for 2-4 months for it, it may already be an old version compared to what is the latest then because changes happen every 1-3 months.

Reactions: MAXXX Q
I spoke to a Tesla rep yesterday and he said that leasing would be the more expensive option than purchasing. I'm guessing that at some point Tesla will evolve into a transportation utility rather than a product so people could just "borrow" a car indefinitely from their pool. When cars are returned back to the pool they could be used for car share, short term loaners etc.
Leasing is ALWAYS more expensive than purchasing, however the upside of leasing is NO maintenance - EVER. Your car is always underwarranty.

Leasing is ALWAYS more expensive than purchasing, however the upside of leasing is NO maintenance - EVER. Your car is always underwarranty.

One thing I found when calling Tesla what happens if you drive 20k a year and get a 15k mile lease? I understand you are paying extra but you will go over the 50k mile bumper to bumper warranty before the 3 years. Just something to remember.

Things I like to do for every car like tinting and paint protection film would be thrown away in a lease. The good stuff will run 5-10 percent of the vehicle.

You have to manage your miles. Don't drive too much, don't drive too little.

Not a fan of leasing, and Tesla charges a premium beyond just the depreciation of the vehicle. :(

C'mon we should give the guy a break. The best part of the model 3 is that it's whatever the reservation owner wants it to be. Kind of like that girl you had a crush on in high school. Why let something like reality rudely get in the way of a good dream. So, it's easy to accept that the car will be on time (early even?). That it will be as fast (probably faster) than the Model S. And you can get it with whatever options you want. Oh, and it will be cheaper than you can imagine. And the best part is, that everyone who pre=ordered the car will get it with free Autopilot or supercharging. Heck, I'm pretty sure that Musk will hand deliver mine to me personally.

Heck, even the outcasts are still hanging onto their hope that the next reveal will show it available as a hatchback!