Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Explain "Chill" Mode please.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Think of it as mellow mode for when you have someone in the car who hates the feeling of acceleration or even strong regeneration. It mutes both.

I’ll add - in my mind, chill mode is for kids learning to drive and grandmas and grandmas to drive safe(er).

I guess that makes me a kid/grandparent who hates fun. :)

I've found myself driving almost exclusively in Chill and only switching to Standard when showing off how fast it is to passengers riding in it for the first time. Even in Chill mode, my RWD is more than fast enough for my preferences, less jerky, and easier to drive more efficiently.

To each their own, I guess.

Now as a sales tactic to get you to want a P3 over an AWD... brilliant

that is exactly what it is.

Exactly. It's a nice feature, but rarely used. I only use it when there are passengers in the car and I want a "chill" experience.

In my MS I have a passenger profile to adjust seats/mirrors + comfort + chill, for when you want to provide a smooth ride with other passengers (think "European luxury yacht" driving experience).

I hated "chill mode" when it first came out. It reminded me of my bmw 3series during acceleration and quickly turned it off.
In my mind, I had a thought that people like my parents might like it, if the normal Tesla acceleration instant-torque bothers them.

When my kids go “I hate chill mode, but I have to enable it for my old ass man”

Is when it’s over for me. :(

Last edited:
Doing any kind of shopping these days is just painful.

Sales people are just making crap up along the way.

It doesn't seem to matter if it's Tesla, REI, BestBuy, etc.

I go into REI, and I ask them about the difference between two GPS watches, and the sales person says complete gibberish that wasn't true at all.

I go into another REI to investigate a self-propelled/self-inflatting paddle board, and they say it's not. Yet, it says all over the website for the product.

The first time with Tesla I ended up having a service advisor do the test drive with me because she was the only one that knew what she was talking about.

In the OP's case the information was REALLY bad.

But, really the fault is with Tesla's decision not to have a mode to simulate an AWD version. That should have been really easy considering the two cars use the SAME motors. It would have been really simple with three modes where it was chill, standard, and performance where if you didn't have a performance version then it was greyed out. I like the idea of it being greyed out to remind someone EVERYDAY that they don't have it. :p

Reactions: KenF
Doing any kind of shopping these days is just painful.

Sales people are just making crap up along the way.

It doesn't seem to matter if it's Tesla, REI, BestBuy, etc.

I go into REI, and I ask them about the difference between two GPS watches, and the sales person says complete gibberish that wasn't true at all.

I go into another REI to investigate a self-propelled/self-inflatting paddle board, and they say it's not. Yet, it says all over the website for the product.

The first time with Tesla I ended up having a service advisor do the test drive with me because she was the only one that knew what she was talking about.

In the OP's case the information was REALLY bad.

But, really the fault is with Tesla's decision not to have a mode to simulate an AWD version. That should have been really easy considering the two cars use the SAME motors. It would have been really simple with three modes where it was chill, standard, and performance where if you didn't have a performance version then it was greyed out. I like the idea of it being greyed out to remind someone EVERYDAY that they don't have it. :p
I agree that sellers often do not know their products and misleading.
I disagree that Tesla should have mods simulation AWD standard version. What for? Otherwize, why not add all these mods to S and X? User interface should be simple and functional for the user.

Reactions: MaryAnning3
I disagree that Tesla should have mods simulation AWD standard version. What for? Otherwize, why not add all these mods to S and X? User interface should be simple and functional for the user.

For sales people they absolutely have to have a mode so they can demonstrate the difference accurately.

That's how it is/was for the S/X where the sales person could put the P version of the car into a mode to simulate the AWD only version.

Partially cuz nobody got time for that with how overbooked they are. They are so packed with people doing P drives that they have to invite reservation holders to weekend events where they can run several hundred people through, 20 at a time.

For sales people they absolutely have to have a mode so they can demonstrate the difference accurately.

That's how it is/was for the S/X where the sales person could put the P version of the car into a mode to simulate the AWD only version.
Why not to have all these models just available to the seller? In this case buyer will not just feel but look at real one. Or, if really needed, make special "seller" mode of the software.

Why not to have all these models just available to the seller? In this case buyer will not just feel but look at real one. Or, if really needed, make special "seller" mode of the software.

So you're saying I should have three cars on hand to sell you one? While demand for these cars is red hot?

It would be much easier to have the top end one available where it could be put into special models to simulate the other ones. From a hardware perspective these cars aren't that different. The only difference between the AWD one, and a P one is software. So there is no reason to have TWO physical cars to show the difference between an AWD version and P version.

Now I can understand wanting a simple UI/UX so maybe this would be a special hidden feature.

So you're saying I should have three cars on hand to sell you one? While demand for these cars is red hot?

It would be much easier to have the top end one available where it could be put into special models to simulate the other ones. From a hardware perspective these cars aren't that different. The only difference between the AWD one, and a P one is software. So there is no reason to have TWO physical cars to show the difference between an AWD version and P version.

Now I can understand wanting a simple UI/UX so maybe this would be a special hidden feature.
Sure it is much easier. But as a buyer I will prefer to visit a service which actually has a model I am interested, than to go to the one who has a simulation software.

Sure it is much easier. But as a buyer I will prefer to visit a service which actually has a model I am interested, than to go to the one who has a simulation software.

That's important where there is a physical difference.

Like obviously if I was buying a P3D with the performance package I'd want to test drive one with the performance package as it's a hardware difference.

But, if I was trying to decide between a P3D (without the performance package) and AWD only version then I'd test drive the P3D version. Where I would expect they'd have a mode to match the performance spec's of the AWD. As the difference between a P3D and an AWD is PURELY software. There is no logic in having to have another car. Like there would be no logic in having another car that didn't have the EAP package as it's just software.

There are too many different setups for Tesla to have each of them. There is a point where a customer has to be understanding of the logistics, but Tesla also has to do better than what they did to this customer.

To me I agree with others that say Tesla is trying to up sell a customer to a P3D by not accurately showing them what an AWD can do.

It is not possible to “throttle back” the P to function like the AWD.

The P3 does 0-60 in 3.3-3.5s.
The AWD does 0-60 in 4.5-4.7s.
The RWD does 0-60 in 5.1s.
“Chill mode” does 0-60 in 7.6s.

The P3 is much faster from 0-35. The RWD and AWD are similar from 0-35.

From 35-60, the AWD and P3 are very similar (faster than the RWD).

After 0-80, the P3, AWD, and RWD have similar acceleration.
This suggests:
from 0-35 mph acceleration is mostly battery limited (since rwd and awd are similar)
from 35-60 the acceleration is mostly motor limited (awd and p3 are similar)
p3 battery will put out more current and power at lower speeds.
Does that make sense?

I’ll add - in my mind, chill mode is for kids learning to drive and grandmas and grandmas to drive safe(er). Hopefully reduce the sudden unintended acceleration risk.

To every rule there is an exception ...

My son (35) hates riding in my non-P MS because he claims the ride is too jerky, but as for me (69), I love it. So whenever he's riding with me I have to switch to chill mode. Of course, he drives an F-150 so what does he know about responsiveness? ;)

I guess that makes me a kid/grandparent who hates fun. :)

I've found myself driving almost exclusively in Chill and only switching to Standard when showing off how fast it is to passengers riding in it for the first time. Even in Chill mode, my RWD is more than fast enough for my preferences, less jerky, and easier to drive more efficiently.

To each their own, I guess.
^ I could have written this. LOL.

I read somewhere once that chill was around 203-205hp with reduced throttle response.

Don’t quote me on that, but it feels accurate on my bum dyno.
That seems reasonable. 280 hp for the normal AWD, and 204 hp for chill mode. That would mean HP is about 0.73 of normal. On the other hand, 0-60 time is about 7.6 s for chill vs 4.6 s for normal, which leads to a slightly different ratio (0.61). Maybe that difference could be due to drag?

0-60 time is about 7.6 s for chill vs 4.6 s for normal...
Although I haven’t put a stopwatch on it, our M3 Dual Motor AWD feels much quicker in Chill Mode than 0-60 in 7.6 seconds. If I sensed Chill Mode was as slow as 7.6 seconds suggests then I would have switched back to Standard Mode long ago.

I’m not saying you’re wrong about the 7.6 second time, I’m saying the car doesn’t feel like it responds that slowly.