Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Explain this Stats app result?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone please explain why the range on my M3P increased in the last 4-5 charging sessions. This coincided in change of how I charge. I was charging to 90% and discharging to 20-25%. Then I switched to charging to 75% and discharging to 35-40%. Could that be the reason in the range increase? Could it be something else? Anyone familiar with the Stats App can explain this?
127E7BBC-3622-470B-B6CD-50CCBB3B9DCF.jpeg

...Anyone familiar with the Stats App...

I am not.

...why...

A change in charging habits can fluctuate your battery capacity displayed in miles

I have no idea how to read this app. Are those orange dots all charged at 100%? But where are your 90% and 75% you mentioned?

To compare the different charging sessions, I need to see 100% to 100% and not an extrapolation from sub-100%.

While I'm curious to hear other explanations, it could just be sure to how Stats is inferring the 100% range. There is some rounding error, but is also shouldn't be that much.

Additionally, I didn't think a Performance Model 3 could report over 310mi @ 100%?

Am I right to assume some other habits have changed since the depth of discharge is also lower?

like Camalaio said above, it's how the app is calculating your 100% range and there are definitely rounding errors. I wouldn't look at the graph until you have many more miles under you belt as it just makes you question everything. Charging to 90% daily to 75% daily will also make the BMS do some other calculations which changes what it displays as well I believe.

You said you're discharging to 34-40%, is that daily driving and then you plug in when returning home to charge to a higher number, 75 or 90? If so then thats totally cool and what it's going to be. I just want to make sure because I was talking with someone in my local FB group for Tesla's and they weren't plugging the car in at all until they reach a lower state of charge (SoC). They'd charge to 90% and then putz around town all week until the car is at 20% or lower then finally plug it in. While also totally fine... my mind about exploded and I asked why, they had no reason except that's what they'd do with their previous gas car! It's a change in behavior is what I end up telling people who ask me about owning an EV and once you make a couple changes in habits it's a wonderful thing.

Most likely it's the car's BMS finally seeing what happens when charging/discharging a little deeper into the battery than it has seen before. Now it has more information and can estimate the charge remaining a little better, or at least differently. The Stats app should just be using a simple (rated miles)/(percent charge) calculation, maybe with some averaging.

Can someone please explain why the range on my M3P increased in the last 4-5 charging sessions. This coincided in change of how I charge. I was charging to 90% and discharging to 20-25%. Then I switched to charging to 75% and discharging to 35-40%. Could that be the reason in the range increase? Could it be something else? Anyone familiar with the Stats App can explain this?View attachment 560601
Several have pointed out the potential for rounding errors, but I regularly charge to 60% SOC, and the Stats app rounding error is at most 6 miles, ie +/-3miles. Nowhere enough to explain what the OP is showing, and the rounding error wouldn't persist. It would be relatively random. The bigger Stats error is that it uses the temp-dependent SOC api, so on blue snowflake days, your rated range can drop 30 miles!

Here's my Stats chart showing the blue snowflake days at around 9500 miles. While it's hard to see, the rated range for Stats is varying based upon temps. Now that it's warm, I'm showing rated range of 311miles:
IMG_6424.jpeg

If it's not a change in temperature, then it could just be changing your charging strategy somehow forced the BMS to recalculate. It's my pet explanation, but I think alot of the major abrupt changes in rated range are just BMS recalculations.

Last edited: