Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

exponential vs polynomial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not exponential. Velocity^2 or velocity^3 (depending on what you are talking about), Not e^velocity which would be exponential.

Thank you kindly.

I was aware of the distinction, and the precise definition of exponential. See: How do you explain cubic growth of a function However, in English for non-mathematicians, we are lacking a good word for "polynomial" growth. In non-technical English, "exponential" has largely taken on the role for defining growth that's defined by a power function. I'd love to have a more precise word that would actually be understood. What do suggest?

I was aware of the distinction, and the precise definition of exponential. See: How do you explain cubic growth of a function However, in English for non-mathematicians, we are lacking a good word for "polynomial" growth. In non-technical English, "exponential" has largely taken on the role for defining growth that's defined by a power function. I'd love to have a more precise word that would actually be understood. What do suggest?
There isn't anything else in comman usage, at least in my experience, because exponential is a catchall for any change that's faster than linear.

I would use Quadratic or cubic as more specific descriptions.

How do you explain cubic growth of a function

Exponential growth - Wikipedia

In non-technical English, then:

So ... ummm ... yeah.

That hurricane's strength grew quadratically! Hmm, sounds kind of lame....,

"That hurricane's strength grew quickly." Unless you are going to claim that someone plotted strength versus time, to a fine enough degree as to be able to tell the difference, why not stick with a perfectly descriptive word without implying math that never happened?

Better of course, would be an actually useful math expression: "Hurricane Maria went from category 1 to category 5 in less than 24 hours."

Thank you kindly.

We're far off topic. But like it or not, usage dictates definition, and the definition of exponential includes:

(with reference to an increase) more and more rapidly.
"our business has been growing exponentially"

Pretty vague, and in line with most people's usage. Hence, the definition. Language is annoying that way.

Reactions: scaesare