Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exporitng US Tesla M3 abroad - what will/won't work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Finally, Tesla starts selling its cars in Israel. That also means that I can import one by myself from US.
An imported Tesla will cost 2/3 of locally sold one ($62K vs $93K), thats the main reason I am willing to bring one from US.

From the fix/maintenance/repair aspect, Israeli law obligating the local distributers to address imported cars same way as local ones. So abroad warranty is fully treated, and recalls and all other stuff are made without exception. So from that aspect I fill pretty fine.

Regarding the charging, I have 7kw charging station in my parking, there are fast DC chargers across country, and SuperCharge stations are being installed as we speak. Question, will I be able to use imported car in local supercharging stations?

What I mostly worry about is the software aspect of the car. Mainly the infotainment system.
Few questions that I will appreciate any help answering those:

1. Connectivity - I understand that the new M3 arrive with eSim, and in order to use regular sim I need to do some modification that includes soldering and such and I want to avoid that. I have wifi in parking, so while it is parked it can be connected to the wifi (there is no cell reception as it is underground parking), that will be enough for standby connectivity? For the day to day connectivity, I was thinking of using LTE router that provides wifi hotspot and the car will connect to that (I know about the fact that I need to turn wifi one each time I shift gears). Will that be enough for what the car needs (nav, music, OTA and such..)?
2. eSim - I have few providers that support eSim. Can I reconfigure it to connect to those instead of the US ones?

3. OTA updates - Will I get OTA updates while the US car is abroad and connected via wifi?

4. Navigation - I read somewhere that it is being locked while car is not in its origin? Is that still the case? Any tips on how to avoid that?

5. Any other tips that I probably missed and haven't though about would be appreciated.

Thanks

1. Connectivity - For the day to day connectivity, I was thinking of using LTE router that provides wifi hotspot and the car will connect to that (I know about the fact that I need to turn wifi one each time I shift gears). Will that be enough for what the car needs (nav, music, OTA and such..)?
2. eSim - I have few providers that support eSim. Can I reconfigure it to connect to those instead of the US ones?

You can't connect to wifi to use any data features while driving. Wifi is only used when parked for updates, netflix, etc.

As far as I know there isn't a way to reconfigure the eSim but maybe you can dig in and swap it out if the antennas are compatible with your local carriers.

You can't connect to wifi to use any data features while driving. Wifi is only used when parked for updates, netflix, etc.

As far as I know there isn't a way to reconfigure the eSim but maybe you can dig in and swap it out if the antennas are compatible with your local carriers.

From what I have read the wifi disables itself when going from P to D, but you can re-enable it again and it will work. I am mistaken?

Hi,

Finally, Tesla starts selling its cars in Israel. That also means that I can import one by myself from US.
An imported Tesla will cost 2/3 of locally sold one ($62K vs $93K), thats the main reason I am willing to bring one from US.

From the fix/maintenance/repair aspect, Israeli law obligating the local distributers to address imported cars same way as local ones. So abroad warranty is fully treated, and recalls and all other stuff are made without exception. So from that aspect I fill pretty fine.

Regarding the charging, I have 7kw charging station in my parking, there are fast DC chargers across country, and SuperCharge stations are being installed as we speak. Question, will I be able to use imported car in local supercharging stations?

What I mostly worry about is the software aspect of the car. Mainly the infotainment system.

1. Connectivity - I understand that the new M3 arrive with eSim, and in order to use regular sim I need to do some modification that includes soldering and such and I want to avoid that. I have wifi in parking, so while it is parked it can be connected to the wifi (there is no cell reception as it is underground parking), that will be enough for standby connectivity? For the day to day connectivity, I was thinking of using LTE router that provides wifi hotspot and the car will connect to that (I know about the fact that I need to turn wifi one each time I shift gears). Will that be enough for what the car needs (nav, music, OTA and such..)?

3. OTA updates - Will I get OTA updates while the US car is abroad and connected via wifi?

4. Navigation - I read somewhere that it is being locked while car is not in its origin? Is that still the case? Any tips on how to avoid that?

5. Any other tips that I probably missed and haven't though about would be appreciated.

Thanks

There is lots of info about these issues floating around. I did extensive research because of intention to move there as well. Please see below:

1. Supercharging will work with a special adapter, if you cant find it by google pm me please.
2. The maps can be switched to EU, last I heard Tesla could do a one time switch, if not there is a shop in CZ that will do all including the routing: your warranty will be voided.
3. As an alternative to supercharging Chademo works fine, get one adapter from US store.
4. Connectivity: not 100% sure yet about the chip, but the LTE AP in the car will work, although Tesla disables the wifi the second you put it in D, so need to see if you can just re-enable it yourself.
5. Getting the car there is totally worth it, regardless what some will tell you, as buying one there is much more expensive!

best!

Hi,

Thanks
Hi I did the same but I’m getting my car from Germany to Egypt, can you tell me your experience of what worked and what didn’t

There is lots of info about these issues floating around. I did extensive research because of intention to move there as well. Please see below:

1. Supercharging will work with a special adapter, if you cant find it by google pm me please.
2. The maps can be switched to EU, last I heard Tesla could do a one time switch, if not there is a shop in CZ that will do all including the routing: your warranty will be voided.
3. As an alternative to supercharging Chademo works fine, get one adapter from US store.
4. Connectivity: not 100% sure yet about the chip, but the LTE AP in the car will work, although Tesla disables the wifi the second you put it in D, so need to see if you can just re-enable it yourself.
5. Getting the car there is totally worth it, regardless what some will tell you, as buying one there is much more expensive!

best!
2. That shop (tesla clinic) in CZ will overcharge you an arm an a leg to do that, plus in the future updates that could be reversed. I would suggest against doing that...
Where did you find out the info about Tesla doing that?
5. It really depends how much $$ you need to put into it to be able to register it (aka taillights fog lights etc). It sounds like you will retain the warranty, so that is a plus vs US going to EU.